AVIC411.com

Using Avic Nav System for offroad 4WD

Hi guys, I've asked this question about 6 months ago. The Avic 2 was pretty new at that time so I didn't get much response. But by now I have to believe there are a lot of people who have tried to use their Avic in off-road conditions where there aren't any "roads" on the map to follow. Kinda like a GPS that a hiker might use. Mainly to leave "bread crumbs" to find your way back.

If someone has used their Avic unit that way - can you please give me a few pointers on how you used it??

Much appreciated... Bob

i wouldnt use or depend on the Avic for off road use. For one, the maping is intended for road use, i've see many simple dirt roads that dont show up on my Z2. For two, the Z2 is rugged, but not intended for rough off road use. Remember, there is a hard drive in that unit. Your best bet would be a Garmin Zumo with the Topo maps loaded. You would get all off road information and a ton more. If you are familiar with a USGS Topo maps, you would see the same information on your Garmin GPS. Here is some info on the Topp product. I believe you could install this on any Garmin GPS but check their site to make sure..

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topous.jsp

good luck.

Thanks Kirk for your reply. Since I already have the Avic installed in my 4Runner the rough usage concern is something I will just have to live with.

I wasn't interested in having dirt road trails showing up on the Avic, I was mainly interested in using it to find my way back. My buddy owns a handheld GPS and it will map out your route of where you have been without showing any topo maps - just a line that shows where your route was. Then when you want to go back you push a go back button and follow your path back. It is helpful where the dirt road or trail has many forks - lets you know which way you came.

Maybe the destination history little white dots could be used in this manner?

I think I just answered my own question - but would still like to know if anybody has used the unit this way..

I'd be concerned with the longevity of the hard drive in a 4x4 installation. When I was doing some install testing and was using the Z2 while holding it in my hand (vehicle was parked), when I looked at the hardware screen, it showed excessive vibration. That was being held in my hand, so I would think that off-road use would be worse... I'd choose a non HDD version.

• 2 months later...
I'd be concerned with the longevity of the hard drive in a 4x4 installation. When I was doing some install testing and was using the Z2 while holding it in my hand (vehicle was parked), when I looked at the hardware screen, it showed excessive vibration. That was being held in my hand, so I would think that off-road use would be worse... I'd choose a non HDD version.

This by far has to be the biggest Load of Bs i've heard on this site.First off folks The Hdd as used on the z1,z2,z3 are Automotive Grade Labtop so it's used in real world application. If Off road is your reason for not buying then I wonder why Lexus and Infiniti use that on there Suv's for 2009.Ford had just starting to use that on it's F-150 lineup.

Another thing if a Hard drive fail's buy a new one it's that simple..

Yeah I agree with others, here are the issues:

1) I'm sure the Z3 can handle some shocks and vibrations, but the OP wants to take it OFFROADING, thats clearly different from vibrations in a OEM SUV in daily driving or even spirited driving in some trails. So if you are willing to pay for a new drive, then thats your money I guess. But the real concern is not just the hard drive, excessive impact and vibrations can damage the unit internals. So its not really B.S.

2) Z3 uses "map matching" where if your GPS signal is weak and your positions shows you off to the side, the Z3 will correct your position.

I think there could be issues where you are off road but the Z3 will try to correct your position and place you on a nearby trail or road on the mapping.

3) Z3 does have the tracking "crumb" feature but since you will be off the map, how would you set any kind of destinations? Even though the tracking crumbs are visible, you probably would not be able to utilize the navi guidance feature.

I've run my Tacoma off-road through some pretty jarring terrain for about a year now with a Z2 installed. Some hard enough to make me wonder if my spine cracked. It finally started to act up about two months ago, and I upgraded the drive to the Z3 with more space. Haven't had any problems yet to speak of with the new one. Obviously as mentioned above, it wasn't really designed for that kind of punishment. Everyone running high-end pre-punners pretty much goes with Lowrance. However, it still puts up with A LOT of punishment.

Most if not all of the roads in the forest around here show up on the maps so I haven't experimented with the bread crumb feature much. Sounds like something to experiment with this weekend.

Yeah I agree with others, here are the issues:

1) I'm sure the Z3 can handle some shocks and vibrations, but the OP wants to take it OFFROADING, thats clearly different from vibrations in a OEM SUV in daily driving or even spirited driving in some trails. So if you are willing to pay for a new drive, then thats your money I guess. But the real concern is not just the hard drive, excessive impact and vibrations can damage the unit internals. So its not really B.S.

2) Z3 uses "map matching" where if your GPS signal is weak and your positions shows you off to the side, the Z3 will correct your position.

I think there could be issues where you are off road but the Z3 will try to correct your position and place you on a nearby trail or road on the mapping.

3) Z3 does have the tracking "crumb" feature but since you will be off the map, how would you set any kind of destinations? Even though the tracking crumbs are visible, you probably would not be able to utilize the navi guidance feature.

I've had the Z1 since it first came out (2006) and Drive my Tundra V8 in 4wd Mode which goes off roading 4 times a year. The Z1 has Not once failed and yes it's been road test and Kid approved (lol).About "map matching" that feature has been out since the Z1 was released so not intirelly a new feature in my book. Z1,Z2,Z3 are pretty much the same unit's with the slight updates Pioneer has done in recent year's.

"I think there could be issues where you are off road but the Z3 will try to correct your position and place you on a nearby trail or road on the mapping."

I'm going to comment on this one because the unit really hasn't ever done that with me off roading. Map matching is usually reserved for street's and if the 3d hybrid sensor detects height differentials to compensate for any location errors it would fix that (ON road). Since your (offroading) the system knows that and mine doesn't place me on road's there are close like it would if My Gps signal is down or weak..Yea I have used the dot's to trace my location to back trace if needed and it's works perfect with me.

Erik

dsc00001-3795.jpg

dsc00317-1874.jpg