AVIC411.com

dimmer voltage incompatibilities?

Hi All, I have a 2003 QX4, basically a Pathfinder. My installer wont hook up the dimmer because he says even though my vehicle has a dimmer wire, it's a neg. wire vs a pos. wire issue, some manufacturers have negative voltages and some have positives for their illumination wires, and the QX4 isn't a match for the D-3.

My questions are basically - WTF? Is this a harness issue, did they use the wrong wiring harness for my vehicle? Is the +/- voltage true, and is that why I'm reading about Best Buy etc blowing people's electrical systems when they hook up the illum. wire?

Does anyone know anything about the Pathfinder/QX4 illum wire and the D-3, any successful installs? If what I'm being told is accurate, is there a fix for this, ie tapping into the parking lights? The illum wire in the QX4 is orange, the installer volt-metered it and said it was the wrong polarity.

Thank you.

pink/green is positive illumination wire in the factory harness. Pink/blk is the negative one.

The D3 is also selectible in the settings for either a positive or negative. It comes default as positive.

Some installers for some reason believe hooking dimmer wires up causes problems, which is not true. Hooking things up wrong, like combining these wires is the real issue, or it's just simply random burned out bulbs in dashes.

Bring it back, and have them call their tech support.

turns out pink/green is the illumination wire and pink/black is the dimmer wire, we installed it on the dimmer wire so that in addition to the day/night mode switch (at the correct factory voltage on the D3 which we couldn't figure out how to reverse in the settings..), which is way cooler than other models, slowly fading out then switching to the night mode - but my dimmer control now controls the D3 along with the rest of the dash - very nice.

Thank you for your help.

For anyone with a Pathfinder/QX4 and needs help, here is the wiring guide for your truck:

Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/Green

Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Green/White

Car Radio Ground Wire: Chassis

Car Radio Illumination Wire: Pink/Green

Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Pink/Black

Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: Red

Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Light Green/Red

Car Stereo Amplifier Location: Inside the driver side rear quarter panel.

Front Speakers Size: N/A

Front Speakers Location: N/A

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green

Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Violet

Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Green

Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Red

Rear Speakers Size: N/A

Rear Speakers Location: N/A

Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green

Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Yellow

Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange

Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/Pink

pink/green is positive illumination wire in the factory harness. Pink/blk is the negative one.

The D3 is also selectible in the settings for either a positive or negative. It comes default as positive.

Some installers for some reason believe hooking dimmer wires up causes problems, which is not true. Hooking things up wrong, like combining these wires is the real issue, or it's just simply random burned out bulbs in dashes.

Bring it back, and have them call their tech support.

The d3 has selectable polarity for the reverse camera input, no the illumination.