AVIC411.com

Navigavtion acting weird on D3.

I installed a used D3 in my 07 Mustang GT on Saturday.

I installed the antenna under the dash on top of a steel bar it is mounted 90 degrees counter clock to the from of the car (if that matters); there is no metal above the antenna.

I get between 1 and 3 bars and usually all satellites are lit red and sometimes yellow (what does the red and yellow mean).

I did not hook up the VSS or reverse wires, but for some reason I am starting to think I grounded the reverse wire.

The problem is the Nav is sometimes 30 to 180 degrees off.

Today it said I was traveling south on I-95 but I was in the northbound lane.

When you look at the arrow is it pointing never pointing in the direction of travel but 30 to 180 degrees off.

I am plan on hooking up the VSS and reserves wires this weekend, but does anyone have an idea why the Nav is acting this way?

Thanks a lot.

I installed the antenna under the dash on top of a steel bar it is mounted 90 degrees counter clock to the from of the car (if that matters); there is no metal above the antenna.

I get between 1 and 3 bars and usually all satellites are lit red and sometimes yellow (what does the red and yellow mean).

I did not hook up the VSS or reverse wires, but for some reason I am starting to think I grounded the reverse wire.

When you look at the arrow is it pointing never pointing in the direction of travel but 30 to 180 degrees off.

I am plan on hooking up the VSS and reserves wires this weekend, but does anyone have an idea why the Nav is acting this way?

Thanks a lot.

I had very similar problems with my D3 for months and nearly punched it several times out of frustration. The last thing it did before I fixed it, was showing me I was an ocean while I was sitting in my garage.

So I considered placing the antenna it a different spot to see if it made a difference. I had it in my glove compartment and half the times it worked ok but very shaky when it was off. So I placed that antenna on top of my vehicle to experiment and my reception signal jumped all the way up from basically zero. Immediately, my D3 recognized where I was and since then, It has NOT given me any problems at all. Not even once it has given me one wrong turn or anything like that. I was going to post this result, but i wanted to wait at least a week to make sure it was not just a fluke.

I strongly recommend placing your antenna where you get full signal reception all the time. Two or three bars might do it in good areas but when you get on the highway or certain roads you lose that little bit of signal and that's why your system starts acting up because it does not know where you are. I ended up placing my antenna on the outside on top of my trunk and my D3's Navigation is working like a charm. I have total confidence over it now. Let me know how it works out for you.

Thanks for the information Guz.

I guess I will need to relocate my antenna under the back window.

I don’t want to put it on the outside of the car.

Will it be OK on the rear deck where the speakers are, the window has a defroster and 30% tint.

Do I really need the metal place that came with the unit because I don’t have it; if so does anyone know where I can buy one?

Well I don't really want it there and I dont want to put something sticky on my dash.

If i put it in the back I can put velco on the bottom of the metal pad and not leave any sticky residue.

HiFiSi do you have any idea where I can find a new metal pad like the one that came with the unit?

What do you make of the excessive vibration warning?

I have the thing securely mounted with a Metra install kit.

Thanks so much for all of the help.

Well I don't really want it there and I dont want to put something sticky on my dash.

If i put it in the back I can put velco on the bottom of the metal pad and not leave any sticky residue.

HiFiSi do you have any idea where I can find a new metal pad like the one that came with the unit?

What do you make of the excessive vibration warning?

I have the thing securely mounted with a Metra install kit.

Thanks so much for all of the help.

you dont have to use the sticky. i have mine run under the front windshiels with the wire wedged between the dash and the pillar. and no sticky magnet, it stays right in place.

as for the vibration, maybe somethings loose in the d3 inernals and its triggering that warning? anyone else have a take on this theory?

Thanks for the information Guz.

I guess I will need to relocate my antenna under the back window.

I don’t want to put it on the outside of the car.

Will it be OK on the rear deck where the speakers are, the window has a defroster and 30% tint.

Do I really need the metal place that came with the unit because I don’t have it; if so does anyone know where I can buy one?

I would like to stay away from discouraging what the manual says, but in my experience having the metal place made absolutely no difference. I did all I could from placing the antenna outside of the vehicle, but it was where i got the best reception. I put the antenna on the rear deck where the speakers are, and it was a low signal. I guess making direct contact with the outside of my vehicle is what did the difference. I tried everything else before putting the antenna outside, no other option gave me better results. But because it worked for me it does not mean that's going to work for you with a 100% certainty. I like to think that it will. Like i said try everything look at what reception you are getting by looking at your connection status and make the best determination for you.

Thanks a lot.

Well... what I typed didn't make it in...lol Try resetting the calibration...

I would like to stay away from discouraging what the manual says, but in my experience having the metal place made absolutely no difference. I did all I could from placing the antenna outside of the vehicle, but it was where i got the best reception. I put the antenna on the rear deck where the speakers are, and it was a low signal. I guess making direct contact with the outside of my vehicle is what did the difference. I tried everything else before putting the antenna outside, no other option gave me better results. But because it worked for me it does not mean that's going to work for you with a 100% certainty. I like to think that it will. Like i said try everything look at what reception you are getting by looking at your connection status and make the best determination for you.

Well my brother found the box so I have the metal pad installed.

I ran the reverse wire to the tail light, the dimmer wire to the light switch and the antenna to the rear speaker deck; I could not get through the firewall to run the VSS wire so I said to hell with it for the night.

All of that made no difference, the system still runs kooky.

I was on I-95 South and it was jumping back and forth, jumping forward on the road and then back, it was also flipping from telling me I was going south to north.

I have 2 bars and all the satellites are light up red.

Does the red or yellow satellites signify something, like is a yellow lit satellite showing a better signal then red lit??

I guess I might need to put the antenna outside, I just hate to do that because I have a light blue Mustang and the black antenna will stand out.

Does it matter with way the antenna faces?

Right now i have the attached wire facing the front of the car.

Does anyone else have anymore suggestions?

Thanks guys.

JRT,

I don't know why you nav is acting funky but I have an 07 Stang set up the same way; antenna on rear deck, metal pad underneath, wire facing toward the front, etc. and my nav works fine. So, I would venture to say your setup should work. I always get more than 2 bars and they are yellow.

On second thought, I don't have tint. Maybe that is a factor.

In my 2006 all works fine with the GPS antenna mounted on the metal bar under the dash. Since the end is magnetic it is sitting directly on top of the bar with the antenna wire coming out towards the rear of the car.

The thing is you stated this is a USED D3 ... so did it work properly for the previous owner? Unless your car is shaking violently or you don't have the unit mounted properly you shouldn't be getting vibration messages.

Run the wire out your window and install the antenna on the roof for a while. If it still doesn't work then either the GPS antenna is bad or the Unit itself is defective ...

I will have to try putting it outside and see what the deal is.

I bought it from my brother, he had it in his Chevy pickup.

The unit is about 5 months old and he said he never had a problem with it, the only difference is that he had the antenna outside.

I was looking at the compass on the unit and the one on my mirror and they are 180 degrees out.

That is why the unit doesn't know where it is, when I am going north it thinks I am going south.

I do have aftermarket suspension parts, lowering springs, adjustable shocks/struts that I have adjusted to a stiff ride, drivetrain stiffing devices.