AVIC411.com

f90-bt specifc video converting...

Anybody have a good all in one utility, or maybe a step-by-step process for taking videos of various resolutions and aspect ratios and formatting them for the 640x480 screen? Also, what's the best way to get rid of the vertical "smush" aspect ratio problem when viewing videos in "Full" mode? Purposely recode movies so that they're horizontally smushed so they normalize when stretched from 640x480 to 800x480?

I've begun experimenting with virtualdub but want to get a better handle on things.

Anybody have a good all in one utility, or maybe a step-by-step process for taking videos of various resolutions and aspect ratios and formatting them for the 640x480 screen? Also, what's the best way to get rid of the vertical "smush" aspect ratio problem when viewing videos in "Full" mode? Purposely recode movies so that they're horizontally smushed so they normalize when stretched from 640x480 to 800x480?

I've begun experimenting with virtualdub but want to get a better handle on things.

If you had a Mac... I would say ffmpegx. That app rocks. See if you can find anything else like it.

I guess I'd just go with the divx standard because I have a pro version of divx to encode... I'm still wondering what the best resolution is (800x480)? I know it says 10Mbps for the transfer rate, but I'm wondering what a good bitrate is for quality without dropping frames.

Good suggestions so far though.

Some of the Divx files I have play choppy. They won't be in sync. It'll play fine on my powerbook or ps3 but not on my F90BT. The audio is fine but the vid lags a bit. They're all divx files and I'll play em off my SD card. Some will play fine, others no audio, others choppy. Weird.

I've found a good sweetspot. Using standard Home Theater profile and then tweaking it using Dr. Divx, you too can play full resolution (720x576) files at full speed with zero stuttering. Here are the settings I'm using:

1500kbps (1-pass)

Extreme Quality

(keep aspect ratio)

720x480 forced resolution

Lanczos4 resize

H.263 Optimized quantization

Progressive output

for sound i'm using lameenc acm mp3

192kbps

stereo

48kHz

CBR

Full length movies play with zero slowdown, and music videos play just as smooth as well. I've set up a virtualdub job settings filter if you use that (you'll need virtualdub-mpeg2) and just use the f4 job control "process directory" to suck in a whole directory of vids. Then I just rename them to .divx (for organization) and throw 'em on a dvd.

Butter.