AVIC411.com

Turning off iPod VR Catalog Mode...

It would be perfect if you only had to run VR Catalog once. However, I let it scan once, and then turn it off, the voice activation forgets everything. For now, I think you have to leave VR Catalog on if you want control of ipod voice controls. Hopefully a firmware update fixes this issue.

it would be perfect but wouldnt make sense....how would u expect it to kno the new awrtists u put on if the deck didnt satalogue them.

an ideal method for it would be to have it scan ur ipod in like 5 seconds to chec for any new material and if it finds something, THEN catalogue. but if theres nothing new why hafta memorize everything again, its just a waste of precious time u can use saying "play artist whitney houston" (and no i dont listen to whitney houston, full metalhead right here \m/ >.< \m/ )

Yeah true, didn't think about just checking for new music. I guess I dont update my ipod that often and just leave it plugged in all the time. :) I like ur method better

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, today ive discovered something...i got out of work, got in my car, and started the car... got situtated a bit, lit up my post work ciggy, and then i plugged my iPod in. it finished the catalog in 15 seconds and flawlessly...i thought wow that was weird, but whatever, play artist godsmack!! i got home, left the iPod in the car, got ready for my lil cousins bday party, started up, the thing took 7 minutes to tell me the VR wasnt completed correctly. i was like wtf mate!! u jus worked! so i unplugged the iPod and put it bak in, AGAIN 15 seconds and it did it.....some one try this to confirm it. start your car first and THEN put ur iPod in.

Most likely because it's trying to catalog it during startup. It probably runs a shitload faster when all that other stuff isn't going on at the same time. Just one more thing Pioneer could fix pretty easily.

Well I got home tonight and I had a AVIC-F900BT waiting for me. I got it all installed and with 17,000 songs on my iPod, it takes 13 minutes to sync the VR...

AND that is everytime you start the unit.

So that answers that one. :?

Well I got home tonight and I had a AVIC-F900BT waiting for me. I got it all installed and with 17,000 songs on my iPod, it takes 13 minutes to sync the VR...

AND that is everytime you start the unit.

So that answers that one. :?

Try what he did. Unhook the ipod, power up the unit and let it finish the boot up sequence. THEN connect the ipod and see how long the VR cataloging takes to complete. It would be nice as a comparison, and to see if more than one person has that result.

So as long as I keep the iPod connected, it wont have to catalog each time I turn on my truck... it will retain the VR catalog...

Is that correct? :?

I think the original post was pretty clear in stating that you will have to catalog each time you turn on your truck or else you will not have VR control of your iPod.

I was looking for more folks to confirm this, but mostly this thread has been people discussing off-topic issues.

From my experience, I've had to leave VR catalog on all the time. It does not retain the info if you do it once and turn it off (leaving the ipod plugged in all the time). It's getting faster though. It now only takes about 5 minutes to fully load every time I turn on my car.

my f700bt did the same thing. I leave VR on and ipod connected. My total start up time is 2:45 but i only have 2000 songs. Weirdly i just sent the unit back cause J&R has the 900bt for $830 and when i was going to get the unit taken out the audio dies on me.

So as long as I keep the iPod connected, it wont have to catalog each time I turn on my truck... it will retain the VR catalog...

Is that correct? :?

I think the original post was pretty clear in stating that you will have to catalog each time you turn on your truck or else you will not have VR control of your iPod.

I was looking for more folks to confirm this, but mostly this thread has been people discussing off-topic issues.

CONFIRMED! the deck will automatically catalog whenever it turns on and the mode is on. and there all talking about the same thing so how do u figure theyre off topic...

heres what was accomplished in this thread:

-VR Catalog must be on to use ipod voice commands

-the F will catalog EVERY TIME your unit is turned on and the ipod is attached

- the length of the process depends on the amount of data it has to go through.

-if you cancel the mode while its in progress, or you get an incomplete message, it will not work.

- you can still use other audio voice commands while you cant use ipod commands

- if you plug your ipod in after the startup is complete, the catalog completes in under a minute (a valid point by HiFiSi has led me to believe that this will work on all F series units.. but still waiting on confirmation from other members)

another thing i discovered today, the F reconizes workds based on how the word is spelt, not by how the artist pronounces their name. ie, Cascada is pronounced 'Cascodda', but i had to say 'CascAda' for it to reconize. and 311, i couldnt say 'three eleven', i had to say '3-1-1'

My fully loaded ipod (74 gigs of music and movies) took 3 minutes to update the VR catalog today, when I plugged it in AFTER the F90 had booted up. I don't know how long it would have taken when updating the VR catalog during startup as it wasn't done by the time I finished my 12 minute drive to work and had to turn off the car. :lol:

My fully loaded ipod (74 gigs of music and movies) took 3 minutes to update the VR catalog today, when I plugged it in AFTER the F90 had booted up. I don't know how long it would have taken when updating the VR catalog during startup as it wasn't done by the time I finished my 12 minute drive to work and had to turn off the car. :lol:

theres the confirmation! so note to everyone else, its a pain in the ass till the FW update is out but plug in ur pod after it boots up.

I too tested this and mine will boot up in 4 minutes with 17,000 songs. Its a bit annoying since I have to reach over into the glovebox and make sure its un-connected from that last power off.

I found that if you don't care about the VR, then shut it off and use it like on the D3, then boot time is about 2 minutes for the whole deck.