AVIC411.com

Post your Issues Here....And ONLY YOUR ISSUES...NO COMMENTS

Hi,

DO NOT POST: "ya, same here." or "This unit sucks" or "Pioneer rushed this...bad idea". Save those for another thread. This thread is meant for Pioneer's use.

if you want comments from users about your issues then start a new thread...Keep this one Clean.

POST THIS AND ONLY THIS:

Model: ???

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : ???

AV Source (if playing) during issue: ???

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): ???

Was GPS routing? (yes/no) ???

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device? ???

Anything else you would like to add: ???

Again...PLEASE FOLLOW THE ABOVE FORMAT!!! DONT POST COMMENTS ABOUT PEOPLES ISSUES....IF YOU FIND NEW ISSUES REPOST THE ABOVE FORMAT AND LIST YOUR NEW ISSUES PLEASE... If we keep it organized Pioneer can actually use it. Otherwise they will probably overlook it.

THANKS!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a Consolidated list of the issues from this thread (which went to crap since everyone posted comments and did not follow the guide): http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15692

Model: F90BT

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : XM, Sirius, Ipod

AV Source (if playing) during issue: any

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc):

Was GPS routing? (yes/no)

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device?

Anything else you would like to add:

one of my issues is with the distorted voice commands and beep. i'm not sure if this is an issue without amplifiers, but it's pretty bad imo with them. normal audio is great, but any push of a button or voice command is distorted no matter what volume i set it at.

yes, my screen changes to map when using the phone too.

the ipod startup is horribly long.

i need to play with mic placement some. i can't seem to get much voice recognition to work.

Model: F900BT

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : IPOD

AV Source (if playing) during issue: ???

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): ???

Was GPS routing? (yes/no) ???

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device? ???

PHONEBOOK TRANSFER AND IPOD LISTING: The unit seems to alphabetize everything. The ipod interface is all alphabetized which ruins the original track listing of albums and podcasts. The same goes for the phonebook transfer option. No matter how you have your Contacts displayed on your phone, the unit insists on listing last name first.

NO VOICE MUTING DURING NAVIGATION: Earlier AVIC units offered an option that allowed you to either mute the AV source, fade the AV source or simply play over the AV source during navigation routes. This time around, your AV source be it ipod, fm radio, or CD is cut off completely during navigation. Extremely annoying for your average motorist.

LOADUP SCREEN: The unit take approximately 2-3 minutes for full startup upon ignition of the vehicle. This is completely unacceptable. Past unit bootups were anywhere from 25 seconds to a minute. My dealer brought up an excellent point. Anyone with a rear mounted camera has to wait the full 3 minutes for their camera to be accessible so they can back out of their parking space. This pretty much renders a camera pointless.

MALFUNCTIONING KEY TONE MUTE: The unit gives you the option to turn off the beep when you press a key. However, it only works sparingly. Most buttons and interfaces will still beep even if you have the mute feature on.

MSN DIRECT: This seems like a cool feature, but it only works for approximate regions. For instance it gives you the option for Los Angeles, but anything in the surrounding region such as Pomona, Orange County, or the Inland Empire is inaccessible. More often than not MSN DIRECT displays (No Data Found for Your Area)

PHONE CALL DISPLAY SCREEN: During a phone call, a black rectangular screen appears that tracks your call progress. This is fine and all, but the screen is obtrusive and freezes the entire unit. It reverts to the map screen in the background and no other feature is available to you while the call is in progress. Also any number it does not recognize from your contacts lists it as UNKNOWN, it would be nice if it just displayed the number dialed. The manual acknowledges this as if it's normal and we shouldn't expect to be multitasking.

LACK OF VOICE CONTROL FOR NAVIGATION: This was extremely puzzling to me. You can control Bluetooth phone and ipod with voice but you can't control navigation. It's the primary function of the unit and was deprived of this feature making it inconvenient and dangerous to access your touchscreen while mobile or having to park and reroute.

FREEZES AND NAVIGATION DISPLAYS: The unit will constantly freeze and then catch up a few seconds later. Also switching between 2D display and 3D display is hit and miss. The button is not very responsive. Occassionally while you track along with your arrow, the map will stop but the arrow will proceed right off the screen, only to catch up a few seconds later. Sometimes it does not catch up at all and the route has to be cancelled and then input again. This seems to have been temporarily solved after fiddling with display settings.

OVERALL SLUGGISHNESS: The entire interface is very slow and plodding. Sometimes when you press a button for a feature you will hear a beep but the menu won't turn over until about 10 seconds later. Switching between modes and menus is also very slow and non responsive.

VIDEO PLAYBACK ON IPOD: Any video no matter how big or small on the ipod takes a minumum of 6 minutes to boot up and play. I have tested this option thoroughly and it is the same between a 3 minute video and a 2 hour movie. Also the title screen and artist screen always displays UNKNOWN.

IPOD STARTUP AND REBOOTING: Very hit and miss here. Sometimes after starting the car again, the ipod will snap right to life and play where it left off, but more often that not, it requires you disconnect and reconnect the cable before the PIONEER logo appears on the ipod screen and you are ready to go.

TURN BY TURN DIRECTIONS: This might be a personal preference but this unit seems to update you every 5 seconds on your route about where to turn, what lane to stay in, and where to enter/exit a freeway. I know that is the goal to guide you, but it feels like the thing is chattering to you the entire route and that is extremely annoying.

IPOD USAGE WARNING SCREEN AND REBOOTING: Upon booting up your ipod, a screen appears that says IPOD USE MAY BE LIMITED AT THIS TIME. This screen does not vanish for approximately 8 minutes and then it displays something about the Voice Recognition Data either loading correctly or incorrectly. This is horribly confusing and halts most operation.

BLUETOOTH CALL QUALITY: I have made about 15 calls with my Handsfree unit and only 3 of those calls were coherent and clear. Other call complaints were: Soft voice, wind tunnel sound while in motion, choppy and erratic reception, distortion, etc. The entire point of Bluetooth is for premiere handsfree technology. When a thousand dollar unit cannot duplicate the call quality of a hundred dollar earpiece, then something is very wrong. It was a real laugh/cry moment when I got through to Pioneer Tech Support (after 20 minutes) and the tech said "I can barely hear you, your voice is garbled and erratic." And I screamed back "I'M TALKING TO YOU ON A PIONEER UNIT YOU HAPLESS TECHNO WEENIE!" That happens when I pay 1200 bucks for a brick with pretty colors.

GENERAL MAP DISPLAYS: When the map is on and you have no route plotted, Two green boxes remain on the display. A long green rectangular one on the top and a large green square in the top left where the turn by turn icon usually is. When I am simply viewing the map with no route plotted, I want these boxes gone and there is no way to do this.

NO OPERATIONS MANUAL SHIPPED: As I understand it this unit went out with no operation manual included, leaving the consumer to download and print it. The manual is a total of 192 pages and is an immense burden to have to print out. Calls to Pioneer revealed that you could purchase a manual for $19.29 and wait the 4-6 weeks backorder. Unacceptable.

I understand that this is an unofficial beta test of the unit, but I also understand that this product was rushed out to market. It feels unfinished,untested and with a complete lack of user satisfaction. After visiting several public forums I have found these problems are shared by all users of the F900BT not some, ALL. We are all desperately awaiting Pioneer to issue a solution expediently.

Devices Connected: HD Radio, Sirius, PAC-Audio SWI/CAN

AV Source (if playing) during issue: iPod

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): Plugging in the iPod

Was GPS routing? (yes/no) no

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device? yes, iPhone

My iPod worked fine with the F90BT yesterday, fully loaded up the catalog for VR, etc. Now whenever my iPod is plugged in the F90BT goes in to endless reboot ... I never get to the home screen unless the iPod is out.

[edit] I seemed to have remedied this issue (at least this time) by resetting the head unit and taking the ipod back to iTunes to resynchronize it. [/edit]

A couple of side notes ... the PAC-Audio steering wheel interface programmed successfully for my '02 Audi A6. I can volume up/down and track up/down, but the F90BT won't listen to the preset up/down for the radio, sirius, or iPod. The PAC sees it just fine, but it's like the F90BT is ignoring those signals. Is anyone else getting steering wheel controls to work on preset up/down?

I've got the HD Radio module, when my antenna is plugged in to the module I get noisy analog stations and mediocre reception for HD. When my antenna is plugged directly into the head unit I get great analog station reception (but of course no HD). Advice?

I signed up for MSN Direct earlier today. The F90BT shows it's active and full signal strength, at least half the time i look at it (where's the antenna for this by the way?), however I don't seem to be getting any info, like gas, movies, weather (even worldwide), etc.... At other times, in the same spot on my driveway I get zero signal strength ... which leads me back to the question of where exactly is this antenna ... is it getting the signal from my FM antenna? What if I'm using HD Radio? Does it have a receiver built into the GPS?

Model: Avic F-700bt

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : XM, Ipod

AV Source (if playing) during issue: ANY

Was GPS routing? (yes/no) Yes and No

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device? Yes, cellphone samsung t509

Issues:

1. Slow Boot Up

2. Text to Speech say comma instead of point

3. User interface reacts very slow to input, especially when first starting up

4. Voice Activated dialing doesn't totally work. I can say "Call 561-786-9876" and it works perfect no matter how quick I say the number. But "Call Jill" doesn't work. So apparently contacts are not cataloged.

5. Voice Activated Ipod doesn't work, on start-up it acts like it trying to catalog the ipod but fails saying something like "Wasn't able to gather necessary data for voice activation. Voice activation wont work correctly.

6. I-pod wont connect 2 times in a row. If I'm listening to my ipod, then turn off car, when I turn the car back on it wont connect unless I disconnect the ipod cable and reconnect.

7. Ipod videos don't start where they were left when I turn the car off and on.

8. Sometimes ipod video takes a couple minutes to start playing.

9. Occasional freeze when navigation is guiding you through a route. Button input doesnt work during this time. Eventually sytem will get moving again without restart.

10. Noise when gps voice come on or voice activation voice comes on.

Model: f900bt

Devices Connected: iPod

AV Source (if playing) during issue: ANYTHING

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): No idea, used it?

Was GPS routing? Yes

Was BlueTooth active? Yes, Sanyo Katana phone

This thing has SOOO many bugs and issues, I'm extremely upset and unhappy with my purchase. The bluetooth is literall UNUSABLE because of the distortion outgoing.

The ipod will stop playing for NO reason, making you re-connect it all the time... at which point it spends another 5-minutes cataloging for voice recognition, during which you can't change artist or ANYTHING!

Model: F900BT (European version)

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : USB stick

AV Source (if playing) during issue: USB

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device?: Sometimes, HTC TyTn II

I have a UK spec F900BT and it's not too bad, but there are some issues that are really annoying me -

1) When you are playing music from a USB stick and you switch to the map screen the audio stutters, and only stops when you quit the map screen. This makes USB audio unusable when navigating. Playback from SD and CD/DVD is fine - it's as if the Nav is "stealing" bandwidth from the USB bus.

2) When using certain USB sticks, music doesn't resume when you power up the unit, and you have to unplug and plug the stick back in to make the unit "see" it. Other USB sticks work fine.

3) Movie playback from USB/SD. I've created an mp4 file as per the instructions (640*480 resolution, <480kbps bitrate) but I can't get it to play back smoothly - the video is a bit slow, as if the unit can't decode it fast enough. Lowering the bitrate doesn't seem to make any difference. Divx playback from USB/SD would be nice too, but I think that might be asking a bit much!

4) When making/answering a phone call, the unit always jumps to the map screen. Why?

5) There's no way to choose which number to dial for a contact (home, work, mobile etc), the unit just picks the first one.

6) Fan noise. I'm not using the internal amp for anything; only the preouts. When the volume goes above about 40 the internal fan starts to get noisy, but it shouldn't need to if the amp isn't doing any work! The fan "hunts" a lot too, and the constant change in pitch/volume is annoying.

Model: Avic-F900bt

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : Sirius, Ipod

AV Source (if playing) during issue: ANY

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): ANY

Was GPS routing? (yes/no) Sometimes

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device? sometimes

The unit is generally nice looking, but very poor performing. I called Pioneer yesterday and opened a case. He advised me that they were working on an upgrade, but it was being done in japan. They have stopped shipping and advised their dealers not to sell or install. They are not "BAD" just need a software tweek. I have been able to have a windows screen come up when I crashed the TEL application, I have also gotten the nav to crash. most typically it just reboots.

Model: AVIC-F700BT

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : 5th Gen iPod Video Runnning FW:1.3, Verizon Razor V3C Phone

AV Source (if playing) during issue: Sources could be playing or not and issues will manifest themselves

First Issue: all iPod browsing is alphabetical, example : browse to an album or playlist, then the songs listed are now in alphabetical order and not the order authored on the playlist or album

Second Issue: When using POI, they work great if I browse to them directly, however if i use the search function an insufficent memory appears, looks very windows CE ish.

Third Issue: TTS dosent work. when I set it to the english woman that has TTS, there is no TTS, furthermore the says comma instead of point. The male voise says point properly, but has no TTS

Fourth issue: If i put a cursor on the screen the up,down,left,right navigation buttons appear on the right hand side of the screen, to get it to go away i now have to move the cursor to a different location and then hit the map button.

Fifth Issue: Bluetooth is junk. I can hear people perfectly fine, however they cant me for S%!T.

Model: avic f90bt

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : 5th gen ipod

AV Source (if playing) during issue: all

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): unkown

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device? no

Anything else you would like to add: The touch sensitivty on my unt is awful...I adjusted it but no improvement...the responsiveness is foul

Also I'm experience long boot times and poor bluetooth quality

Model: F900BT

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : USB Drive haven't got my IPOD cable yet so don't know if there are any issues with that.

AV Source (if playing) during issue: Any

1.) My unit takes at least 1 1/2 to 2 min to load.

2.) Touch screen are not really responsive (have to press it twice or more).

3.) Slow like others have said like a slow computer.

4.) Music skips when i connect my bluetooth.

5.) Music literally skips every second when i turn to my map mode. I have to keep it in the AV source mode to keep it from skipping.

Was GPS routing? (yes/no) yes

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device? Yes

IF YOU POSTED ISSUES AND DONT SEE THEM LISTED....REPOST THEM in the FORMAT listed ABOVE!!!

KEEP THIS ORGANIZED....and again DONT COMMMENT ABOUT PEOPLE's POSTS.

Model: F700BT

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) :Ipod 80GB (6 gen I believe)

AV Source (if playing) during issue: any

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): multiple

Was GPS routing? (yes/no)

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device? Yes, Palm Centro w/ Palm OS

1.) Such a slow start up..takes 2 minutes just to resume my music

2.) Navi seems to freeze a lot during display

3.) Annoying boxes that say Ipod controls are limited which blocks up a large portion of the bottom of the screen for 6 minutes or so.

4.) Most annoying : can't change artists on ipod until voice commands are up and running. I can't believe this...

5.) Sometimes IPOD needs to be reconnected, b/c during boot AV is switched to OFF. Happens maybe 10% of the time during booting the unit.

6.) Sluggish button reactions when hitting map, multi-control for voice, or menu

7.) Phonebook transfer only transfers my voice mail #, what about the other 100 contacts that have more significance in my phone?

8.) Mic has a lot of wind noises during bluetooth use, even when in a car with windows rolled up, not moving, no ventilation.

9.) I don't know if this bothers other people, but when using the GPS to get to a destination, the destination is not erased after turning off the car. So when you get back into the car after reaching the destination, it continues to keep giving you all these directions to a place you already have been. I think it should be defaulted to erase destination upon restart of system.

Along with the standard already reported issues that all the units seem to have:

Model: AVIC-F90BT

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : iPod, iPhone, HD Radio tuner

AV Source (if playing) during issue: HD Radio

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): when displaying the preset selection buttons, no text/numbers appear on the buttons. It does not display what station is stored on any of the preset buttons

Was GPS routing? (yes/no) does not seem to matter

Anything else you would like to add: I figured out by accident that the seek buttons on the display screen switch between the HD multicast stations. I did not see this info in the manual.

AV Source (if playing) during issue: iPod

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): hit the "off" button on the source screen. I had to press the reset button on the face of the stereo in order to turn the unit back on. I have only been able to replicate this one more time out of several tries.

Was GPS routing? (yes/no) No

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device? No

For what it's worth, I have VR Catalog and BlueTooth turned off at the moment.

Model: F900 (UK version)

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : None

AV Source (if playing) during issue: None (didn't get that far)

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): Powering up first thing in the morning

Was GPS routing? (yes/no) No, didn't get that far

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device? No, didn't get that far

For the last three mornings, the unit won't power up when the ignition is switched on. The buttons illuminate, the amps in the boot switch on, then after 15 seconds, the lights and the amps go off again but I can still hear the fan running. The display never shows a picture at all. Powering off and on via the ignition or pressing reset makes no difference. After 15-30 minutes of driving the unit will power up, and it will work perfectly for the rest of the day. The only cause I could think of is the cold - i.e. the unit works after the cabin has warmed up a bit.

All the wiring, installation etc is correct - I have checked! See this thread for a more detailed description http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16244

Model: F90bt

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : Ipod, Sirius, SD card

AV Source (if playing) during issue: all

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): pressing Voice activation button

Was GPS routing? (yes/no) yes & no (doesn't matter)

Anything else you would like to add: Pushing the voice activation button while on the top menu level doesn't work.

Suggestions on Sirius interface: Please use all lines of text available in the detail view. At minimum showing Station, Artist, & Song Title would do very nicely. Make the interface as user friendly and informative as the SD, Ipod, & CD interface, please. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Model: F900bt

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : Ipod Touch w/ 2.0 update

AV Source (if playing) during issue: does not recognize the Ipod at all.

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): nothing, just won't recognize my ipod touch

Was GPS routing? (yes/no) yes

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device? Can't connect to my Verizon XV6700 phone.

Anything else you would like to add: Really slow boot time (more than a minute or two), scratchy gps voice and tone, bluetooth won't recognize my phone, the mic doesn't pick up my voice at all when I try changing sources, etc. only sometimes works, but barely.

• 2 years later...

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : Two different model IPODS

AV Source (if playing) during issue: None

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): Booting up

Anything else you would like to add: IPOD's aren't recognized 50% of the time when you bootup. You have to disconnect and reconnect them.