AVIC411.com

Soldering Pre-amp outputs

So i intend on picking up an f-90bt in a short while (once a few things clear up). I had a d3 in my last vehicle. In my new vehicle i will install an amplifier which uses the pre-outs from the avic.

In the name of efficiency and customizing the cable length and keeping the harnesses as compact as possible behind the dash, i want to solder the pre amp outputs from the avic to the cables that run to the amplifier.

Basically trim off the rca jacks from the avic and the cables i will use and solder the two together, heat shrink and then tape up, just like every other wire back there.

I know it can be done and i know that the sound/efficiency probably wont improve enough to hear and it will be more permanent that just connecting the two, but is there any downside besides the few minutes it will take and the permanency? The main reason is so that i don't have 10 feet of cable lying around waiting to pick up noise from every possible source.

I intend to leave the connector on the amplifier end, as i do not intend on soldering near a nice amplifier, but the avic harness lends itself to these kinds of mods.

Thanks!

I think there is a misunderstanding. I want to cut off the female rca connectors from the avic harness (white connector/rca harness) and cut off the male ends from my rca cables and strip them and then solder the two together so that the rca ends (red and white) are bypassed.

Well you're going to have a tough time getting it all working right... remember, most RCA cables are coaxial, meaning there is a center electrode surrounded by a ground sheath. Not easy for creating good connections.

Besides, the connections that the RCA cables give you has more than enough integrity for a good signal. Hell, there's MORE contact/connectivity where the two connectors come together than you would have with the wires soldered together.

Just plug them all together. And maybe wrap the connections in some electrical tape or something like that.

• 11 months later...

the biggest problem with that harness is that it id a monstrosity when everything is tied together. And by bypassing those connections you can make the harness way easier to install...though as previous posts have stated the wires are coax in nature and therefore make it nearly impossible to solder together and still get a good signal.

Also you might want to get a new harness before you go cutting up the one you already have...just in case.