AVIC411.com

Changing menus/bitmaps/etc.

Is it possible to hack the nav portion to change out the icons used for various things (i.e. changing the red arrow in 3d/2d view to a picture of a car)? I've done this on my Navigon standalone GPS and on other TomTom devices... perhaps when the first nav software update gets released I'll be able to take a look at the datafile, but I've never had a Pioneer before, has this been done?

I guess you would have to find out how Pioneer engineered the unit to receive updates, and figure out the file structure/coding so you can figure out how to swap in your own data. It's gonna be a lot of guess work until Pioneer issues some kind of update which you might be able to break down and find out how to customize it.

But good luck! Way too much work to be worth it IMO.

I guess you would have to find out how Pioneer engineered the unit to receive updates, and figure out the file structure/coding so you can figure out how to swap in your own data. It's gonna be a lot of guess work until Pioneer issues some kind of update which you might be able to break down and find out how to customize it.

But good luck! Way too much work to be worth it IMO.

hehe.. it would be definitely worth it if you could change the map colors. The Pioneer Daytime colors suck and aren't viewable in the daytime.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently running through the various images in:

\LPUE080\APL2\iGo\data.zip\

of the update. Looks like that's where most of the images reside, but the directory tree is very unkempt, and a lot of the .bmp's aren't standard .bmp. I can't get them to open in ACDSee nor Photoshop. Other thing is that the .mdl and .spr files don't seem to be standard .mdl (3d wireframe models) and .spr (sprite) files. Now that we have something to play with... let's start!

First up would be a step-by-step process on how to "force" a new update when we're not updating version #'s, just updating graphics. I have no interest in mucking up the actual brains of the product, although GPS route recalculations, etc. could be done through .ini hacks...

o ok, so theres no way to get into the internal files and mess with them as necessary? ie if you wanted to say change the map colors, theoretically would you be able to find the files for the map colors and change the color codes? if so then you should also be able to change the clock colors and other little things like that, correct?

No, but there's a software keyboard that you can access by clicking the icon on the bottom right. That way you can rename, make new folders, etc. only on your SD card. The flash disk is ROM only.

Have you tried hooking up a keyboard? I wonder why that would not work?

As in the other thread though, the flash disk can be written to. But I certainly don't plan on trying!

• 2 weeks later...
Currently running through the various images in:

\LPUE080\APL2\iGo\data.zip\

of the update. Looks like that's where most of the images reside, but the directory tree is very unkempt, and a lot of the .bmp's aren't standard .bmp. I can't get them to open in ACDSee nor Photoshop. Other thing is that the .mdl and .spr files don't seem to be standard .mdl (3d wireframe models) and .spr (sprite) files. Now that we have something to play with... let's start!

The .bmp files you can't view are compressed bitmaps. I found a program that will uncompress them!... 8)

Download the "Bitmap Tool v1.2" from THIS page. The installation is in French, but it's a standard windows installer, so it's easy to get it installed. Once installed, you can switch the interface to English (click the UK flag at the bottom).

This tool will also compress regular bitmaps, so it looks like we might be able to re-skin the interface (albeit with a LOT of work)... :D

-Eric

I have tried to make some changes to the UI but the unit does not seem to want to recognize my DATA.ZIP when I copy it over. I changed a couple of the BMP files just to see what would happen, zipped up the data directory and moved it to the right spot on the F700..

I had first renamed the original one to DATA-BAK.ZIP (fortunately!) because when I tried booting it with my modified one, I got a windows error box that the configuration file could not be found. I doublechecked the file name (this WinCE seems to be case-sensitive?) but no matter what I tried, it wouldn't recognize. Finally I deleted my new file and changed the name of the original back and it worked fine.

Is it possible that the system is looking at a checksum or something? Have others successfully used their own data.zip file?

I have tried to make some changes to the UI but the unit does not seem to want to recognize my DATA.ZIP when I copy it over. I changed a couple of the BMP files just to see what would happen, zipped up the data directory and moved it to the right spot on the F700..

I had first renamed the original one to DATA-BAK.ZIP (fortunately!) because when I tried booting it with my modified one, I got a windows error box that the configuration file could not be found. I doublechecked the file name (this WinCE seems to be case-sensitive?) but no matter what I tried, it wouldn't recognize. Finally I deleted my new file and changed the name of the original back and it worked fine.

Is it possible that the system is looking at a checksum or something? Have others successfully used their own data.zip file?

I originally tried putting new blank sounds into the data.zip and i just deleted the old files from within winrar then added the new ones to the .zip and copied the new data.zip to my headunit and it booted but the screen just keep saying "start up in progress" for like 5 mins and i turned it off and went back to wince and reverted to the default data.zip then it worked.... so there must be some crc check or something