AVIC411.com

No there is no reason not to hook it up. But on the other hand it isn't a NECESSARY part of the system. It's used to keep the nav more accurate. If you have access to your vehicle's speed sensor wire, it's recommended that you hook it up, as there's really no reason not to.

I couldn't find my VSS wire so I decided to hook it up another time. I only hooked up the reverse signal lead. I have to say, I'm surprised at how accurate the navi has been. It has been dead on so far. As of right now, I'm not worried about finding it. We'll see how it goes.

But like HiFiSi said, if you have access to it, hook it up. There's no reason not to.

I couldn't find my VSS wire so I decided to hook it up another time. I only hooked up the reverse signal lead. I have to say, I'm surprised at how accurate the navi has been. It has been dead on so far. As of right now, I'm not worried about finding it. We'll see how it goes.

But like HiFiSi said, if you have access to it, hook it up. There's no reason not to.

I did'nt hook my up and thought the same as you did unitl a recent trip to the Redwoods. Once you start loosing Sat line of site, as i experienced gong the the Redwoods, the unit will stop tracking. With the VSS hooked up the unit will continue to track during the intermidnitent sig loss.

ok I'm awaiting the arrival of my F700BT. In the manual it says that the Pink speed sensor wire is unnecessary to hook up, but then in the same paragraph says that it should be hooked up.

I can't think of a reason not to hook it up, is there?

The F700BT does not have a connection for VSS. Only the F90/F900 have a VSS wire.

-Eric

^yup. I guess I overlooked that in the first post.

"This connection is unnecessary for AVIC-F700BT and AVIC-F7010BT.

The mobile navigation system is connected here to detect the distance the

vehicle travels. Always connect the vehicle´s speed detection circuit. Failure

to make this connection will increase errors in the location display."

They suggest hooking it up, but say it's not necessary for the 700. Because there isn't one. If you'll notice, the installation manual is for BOTH the 700 and 900 units.

I guess they should word it better. Like... SPEED DETECTION CIRCUIT CONNECTION ONLY AVAILABLE ON F900BT MODELS or something like that. Saying it's unnecessary doesn't really give the impression that it's not possible.