AVIC411.com

i returned my F90BT and could not be happier

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try the Kenwoods. As good Nav as the Tom-Tom with built-in Garmin, awesome and fast iPod integration, awesome bluetooth, and you get your Nav voice through your speakers instead of the little dashtop. (which is also a great target for a smash and grab)

Don't get turned off of aftermarket due to the terrible problems with the F series. I returned my 700 and 90BT and got the Kenwood. Happy as a clam.

Also with the Kenwood, the FM reception is INCREDIBLE. I'm picking up stations that my factory system, D3, or any of the F series ever could. Also all the Kenwoods have RDS for FM radio, which is a very nice plus.

It's not that the first out have problems, it's that it would take a redesign to make this worth anything. You lose a navigation unit to gain an iPod interface. They didn’t even improve the audio capabilities. Sorry just upping the output to 4v, which requires you to have installed an amp that accepts 4v input already or upgrade it also, is not an improvement just a hype. An upgrade or top of the line In-Dash Navagation system would be to start with the Z, keeping all the Z features and adding things like: Blu-ray capability, larger hard drive, minimum of 5.1 (7.1 would be state-of-the-art), THX, DTS, a (useful) mute button, “conversational†voice input for navigation along with phone and iPod. That plus the only 3 new F features worth having: better resolution, better iPod interface, and better Bluetooth all around. That doesn't even consider the more "out there" features that could be added, like: wireless to connect to your home network for transfering music and updates, Bluetooth that connects to other devices than just cell phones, etc. I was looking forward to the F, but it looks like I'll be keeping my Z for quite a while longer.

Don't let the f series speak for all their products, the D3 which i have owned for the last 8 months and recently went back to from the f900BT is outstanding.

The f series is basically a pioneer's windows vista. It over promises and is extremely buggy, its pretty pathetic.

It's too bad though really, the f series does have a lot of promise, if they can just improve performance by 100 percent and everything else.

agreed....but dont expect all that for $1100 either :wink:

I wouldn't have a problem paying 3 grand for something like that.

Throw in everything but the kitchen sink, and make it all just WORK together. Oh yeah, I would pay for that.

oh trust me i would too, i was just simply saying that while it is a dream unit, itd cost an arm and a leg.

agreed....but dont expect all that for $1100 either :wink:

I wouldn't have a problem paying 3 grand for something like that.

Throw in everything but the kitchen sink, and make it all just WORK together. Oh yeah, I would pay for that.

oh trust me i would too, i was just simply saying that while it is a dream unit, itd cost an arm and a leg.

It would cost more just because there would be a niche that would pay, myself included, but why? Nothing listed is bleeding edge. Even the “conversational†type speech recognition is not new, just perfected. Though I remember a now retired VP that 20 years ago told a speech recognition group that “there is no future in speech recognitionâ€. But I digress, and is in the new portables and Ford / Lincoln / Mercury cars. Everything has Bluetooth and 802.11b/g Wi-Fi. A 160GB iPod is only around $350 so the drive can’t be expensive when you figure in profit + Apple tax + iPod tax. Blu-ray drives are in laptops so cost is down on those also. All the audio features are again old news in the laptop world. The only thing left is the LCD, which can’t be that big a cost. So you take a Z, replace the hard drive, DVD drive, and the 4.1 audio decoder with a 7.1 decoder. Upgrade the satellite interface to handle HD Radio. Add the iPod, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi. No real new hardware engineering involved since it’s all there and cut-and-paste. Now where the cost would be is licensing and certifications for MS Direct, THX, etc. Also the software to improve the interfaces. As for the F being like Vista, pick your favorite Apple commercial. So just like with XP, I’ll be staying with my Z.

It would cost more just because there would be a niche that would pay, myself included, but why? Nothing listed is bleeding edge. Even the “conversational†type speech recognition is not new, just perfected. Though I remember a now retired VP that 20 years ago told a speech recognition group that “there is no future in speech recognitionâ€. But I digress, and is in the new portables and Ford / Lincoln / Mercury cars. Everything has Bluetooth and 802.11b/g Wi-Fi. A 160GB iPod is only around $350 so the drive can’t be expensive when you figure in profit + Apple tax + iPod tax. Blu-ray drives are in laptops so cost is down on those also. All the audio features are again old news in the laptop world. The only thing left is the LCD, which can’t be that big a cost. So you take a Z, replace the hard drive, DVD drive, and the 4.1 audio decoder with a 7.1 decoder. Upgrade the satellite interface to handle HD Radio. Add the iPod, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi. No real new hardware engineering involved since it’s all there and cut-and-paste. Now where the cost would be is licensing and certifications for MS Direct, THX, etc. Also the software to improve the interfaces. As for the F being like Vista, pick your favorite Apple commercial. So just like with XP, I’ll be staying with my Z.

its not so much a matter of what it would come with, but more of having an all-in-one multimedia navigation unit...and having it all work properly with no long boot-up times. and ive never heard of blue-ray compatible head units. last i heard blu ray players were about a grand. so that in a unit, PLUS the required hd screen for the blu-ray to work, plus all the other featres mentioned would make it quite expensive. but well worth it if thats the thing your into.