AVIC411.com

Video output from iPhone working (need help verify)

I just posted my workaround to get Video output from my iPhone to Kenwood DNX8120 in another post. I assume this will also work with AVIC F units. I hope someone will try it and report it back.

I have been messing around with my DNX8120 and my iphone. Like some of you I was frustrated with the lack of video support for my iPhone. I finally got it working with the Apple Composit AV Cable and a few adaptors. I am posting here because I think this solution will probably work for the AVIC users. The total cost is around $57. This can replace the standard Kenwood/Pioneer ipod cable ($30). I pay $27 more but now I get video output.

NOTE: I think the Pioneer iPod cable for AVIC F Series output with PHONO connectors. I assume you can just replace the standard cable with the Apple cable without any connectors.

Instruction:

I had the original kenwood interface iPod cable that I purchased with the DNX8120. One thing I know in the new iPod Touch and iPhone is that they require an authentication chip in the cable to output video. Basically instead of using the Kenwood Ipod cable, I replace it with the Apple composit video cable ($49). The Kenwood cable output both audio and video with 1/8" AV jacks. The Apple Composit Cable output in phono jacks (red, white and yellow). I purchased from radio shack two adaptors for about $8. One takes audio (Red and White cables) phono jacks and convert them into a stereo 1/8" jack. For the video I got an adaptor that convert it into mono 1/8" jack. Now connect everything back with the new cable. Well everything is working. See the pictures attachments.

Important NOTE:

I notice sometime the video won't come on. I spent the last two days to make sure I understand why. I finally figure it out. When you want video to output from the iPhone or iPod Touch, you need to make sure the "IPOD Accessory Attached" screen is on your iPhone. Please check out the attached video. If you are really stuck try to reset the iPod application by holding down the HOME button in IPOD application for 5 secs and try it again.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any help.

post-414-12872754641001_thumb.jpg

post-414-12872754644117_thumb.jpg

post-414-1287275464728_thumb.jpg

Yep. That should work fine. You don't even need the mini-jack adapters because the F-series units use the AV1 RCA inputs for the ipod hookup.

I was thinking about trying this but was concerned about losing ipod control from the head unit. Looking at the video, it appears to still work, though it is a different Brand. Would you happen to know if using the apple cable would retain control through the F-series?

it should work. The control is through USB. iPhone and iPod Tounch wont output video without authentication chip in the cable

I'll pickup the cable and give it a shot tonight if possible. Even if it doesn't work, I'll still need the cable so I can run it through the front input eventually. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

iPhone and iPod Tounch wont output video without authentication chip in the cable

Not true, I use the composite AV cable on my D3 AV1 in and there is no chip in the cable. I will be using this same set up on the F series as well.

Actually, I've heard talk of it not actually being a chip, but a different pin layout that caused the incompatibility with video out on the new units. I don't know which is the truth, but either way the ipod cables that work with the older ipods don't work with the new ones because of it.

iPhone and iPod Tounch wont output video without authentication chip in the cable

Not true, I use the composite AV cable on my D3 AV1 in and there is no chip in the cable. I will be using this same set up on the F series as well.

lies... post a vid and prove us all wrong.

Also... the "chip" would be in the device... not the cable. There is a auth chip tho you refuse to believe it. There are apple tech docs out there for them. You just wont find them because they are watermarked with the owners info. Hence why you'll never see mine.

Also... the "chip" would be in the device... not the cable. There is a auth chip tho you refuse to believe it. There are apple tech docs out there for them. You just wont find them because they are watermarked with the owners info. Hence why you'll never see mine.

To correct myself... I forgot about Apples Component Cable... Here is some info about it. For some good and accurate info... check out comment # 8.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backst ... -av-cable/

Has anyone confirmed full functionality with the avic f series (control, plus video and audio)? It never even crossed my mind till now that the apple composite cable is a percent match for the f series. Before everyone spends $50 plus tax we all know they can be had for a few bucks ($10) less over on the ebay and amazon. Keep us updated. Thanks

Has anyone confirmed full functionality with the avic f series (control, plus video and audio)? It never even crossed my mind till now that the apple composite cable is a percent match for the f series. Before everyone spends $50 plus tax we all know they can be had for a few bucks ($10) less over on the ebay and amazon. Keep us updated. Thanks

I would have been able to try it by last night, but after waiting inline for 15 minutes while the fucktard behind the counter decided to have a conversation with guy in front of me about pay as you go phones; I decided just to walkout. I plan on picking up the cable tonight while at Bestbuy. I'll let ya'll know if it works this evening.