AVIC411.com

AVIC-80DVD missing location status menu (w/ AVH-P7500DVD)

hi . this is my first post here . i searched existing threads but didn't find any answers to my problem .

i recently bought a car which has the AVIC-80DVD installed , with an AVH-P7500DVD display unit attached . the device plays music just fine , but i'm not able to use the GPS at all . the map displays but the car's position on the map does not update as the car moves .

I looked in the operation manual under "checking the navigation status" and it shows to check position information by choosing "Information" in the main menu , and then "Location Status" and "GPS Status" , but these menu options do not appear on my menu .

when checking the connection status , the unit indicates that all connections including GPS antenna are connected properly . The GPS antenna icon is green , but it none of the little sattelite icons next to it are lit up . can anyone explain this to me ?

when performing 3D calibration , the learning status always reads "sensor initializing" , even if i clear it . i have never seen it read "sensor learning" , as it does in the operation manual image . note: the speed pulse is being recognized fine .

i should also point out that the options for connection status and 3D calibration are found immediately in the "information" menu , and not in the (missing) "Location status" submenu , as the manual indicates .

that's just about all the information i have . i need to know if there is a way to "recalibrate" the unit , as some people (including previous owner , and a car audio technician) have mentioned to me before . i have resettign it with the small reset button in front . that doesn't seem to do anything at all .

the disc i'm using is from 2003 . i have already ordered a 2007 disc , which i believe is the current one) , but i would like to think of this as a last resort . it seems unlikely to me that a complete loss of GPS functionality could be caused by out of date firmware .

please give me any information you see as relevant . this is the only remaining problem in an otherwise perfect car .

PLEASE HELP !

• 2 weeks later...

Are you comfortable with getting into your cars wiring?

From my guess, the gps antenna is not mounted in a good place so id track it down and put it against a solid metal area such as an a-pillar in the car or such.

As to your issues with the options, have you done a hard reset or a soft? Try turning the car on, then off to the accessory slot (so engine stops but electronics stay on) and push the reset.

Also check all the wiring for grounds, parking brake, etc...

i've tried resetting the unit by pushing the little button . i think i read somewhere that you can do a different kind of reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes , but i haven't tried that .

the gps antenna hasn't moved from its original position , so i don't see how that could be the problem all of a sudden , and according to the unit , all the connections are intact .

Perhaps the GPS antenna has gone bad? I think a replacement costs around $40 shipped on eBay.

It's unlikely since the antenna has no moving parts, but I believe GPS antennas are active and contain circuitry so it's a possibility.

Other than that, the radio receiver in the AVIC itself could be bad. It's hard to diagnose without actually swapping parts.

• 8 months later...

I don't know if anybody's still going to see this thread, but I have the same setup in my car (P7500, AVIC80) and I just put in the newest map (CNDV80MT) today. The install went normally without any glitches but as soon as the map loaded, it was off by over 900 miles. When I checked the GPS antenna status, it looked the same as the thread starter.....green status on the antenna but NONE of the 8 symbols are lit. Checked the antenna connection (still in place) and did a reset of the AVIC drive (no change). Anybody else hear about how updating the map software would brick the GPS? I assume that this '80MT disk only updates the map info and not the firmware, but maybe I'm wrong. Also, they say to NOT revert back to a previous version of the map software, but why? That almost implies that they ARE doing a firmware update.

Dave

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the update. I went from the CNDV50MT to the '80MT. This was probably the third software update I've done on this system since I first bought it and I've never had problems before. I haven't dug out the manual yet, but does the green "antenna" symbol mean that the system "sees" the antenna? The complete lack of the little electrical/lightning bolt symbols was a big clue that something got hosed in the GPS section. Well, that and the fact that the system booted up with my maps saying that I'm driving around on the Lower East Side of NYC while I'm here in Fla.!! ;) Wonder why it defaulted to NYC? The internal compass and the wheel pulse modules are still sending data.....just off by a mere 900+ miles.

dave

• 6 months later...