AVIC411.com

iPhone and iTouch workaround (Sort of)

Inspired by ttgolf's Kenwood workaround, I wanted to see how the apple composite cable worked with the F-series. The results were interesting.

Using the apple composite cable, the F-series is able to maintain the same control over the iPod as using the CD-IU230V. Unfortunately, THE VIDEO TAB IS STILL NOT FUNCTIONAL.

HOWEVER! If you have AV1 set to video and the USB cable is not attached, you will now be able to send video (and audio) to your F-Series; something that cannot happen with the IU230V no matter what you try. Of course, you will have to operate through the iPod....but ultimately, the damn thing works.

One thing to note: If you had your F-series on the ipod setting and you wish to watch video. Not only do you need to switch to Video mode and disconnecting the USB cable, you also need to detach the ipod connector from the ipod and then reattach it after completing the 1st 2 steps. Failure to do so will result in audio, but no video.

Conclusion: Get the Apple Composite Cable. It works just as well as the CD-IU230V and lets us with the iPhone and iTouch watch video.

Ummmmm well I took a screen shot of a video podcast of proof....needless to say, after looking that the picture, I wish I would have selected another.

IMAGE_073.jpg[/url]

Basically, you hook it up as an external video source through the AV input using Apple's composite cable and control it from the ipod, just like we've been saying ever since the new ipods an iphone came out.

Basically, you hook it up as an external video source through the AV input using Apple's composite cable and control it from the ipod, just like we've been saying ever since the new ipods an iphone came out.

Surprise Surprise.... and people doubted me.

Passive aggressive much? After searching and not seeing anyone say that the apple composite still allows you to have control over your ipod for the F-series, I figured I would post actual results. Seeing how people are split as to if this is chip issues or due to a different pin layout, I would imagine most people would like to know that headunit control still works. You are right, but the different AVIC series have different inputs when it comes to this stuff and I figured I'd show that one cable and can work just fine for this specific model.

that was dispointing. I was happy to see it working with my Kenwood 8120 and thought it should work well with Avic F series. Well I am really going to keep my Kenwood for sure and not getting the F90bt.

Thank you for confirming.

Care to post a video of yours in action?

Thanks for the workaround. It's good that there's people in this world a lot smarter than I am. Except I'm too lazy and mechanically declined to install all that!!

I'm wondering if any of the people who seem to be better connected to Pioneer, either as distributors or installers or whatever, know whether Pioneer eventually aims to shoot for compatibility with the iTouch / iPhone without some cockamamie workaround (no offense to leadfoot).

Is it worth starting a new thread to gauge interest and see if we can at least "influence" Pioneer to talk to Apple and try to get the systems compatible. This was one of the main reasons I really wanted the AVIC F (my fault for not reading the propaganda more closely) so that I could have access to all my iPod media.

I am assuming that Pioneer intends to eventually make the F-series compatible with the 6th gen iPods?

Yes? No?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Please excuse me for joining this thread so late.

Are you saying that the ipod touch & iphone do not show video on the f90bt when used with the included ipod cable?

The reason I ask is because I've been using my ipod touch to watch video on my f90bt since I got it, using the included cable that the installer put in my glovebox.

Please forgive me if I am misunderstanding this, if I'm not, I'd be happy to provide more information if needed.

ic

The iphone has never had this problem. But if your saying you have a first gen ipod touch with the version 2 firmware and your even getting it to work at all with the F series, count yourself lucky. I dont think anyone on this forum with a first gen touch v2 has been able to get there ipod to work for music or video. Second gen does work for all features however.