AVIC411.com

VW EOS Sirius to XM Swap Mod Tip

Just though I would let everyone know about an install that I completed on one of my cars yesterday.

I replaced the factory radio with an AVIC-Z2X and installed the Pioneer GEX-P10XMT in place of the factory Sirius unit. The car is a 2007 VW EOS. I was really dreading the install of the XM unit because the Sirius Antenna is actually built into the dash and is not removable. VW has made many things in their newer model cars very hard to change. Not only is the antenna molded into the dash, but the tweeters are also molded into the car and the front, lower speakers are not of any normal size ... Ok back to the XM install ... The Sirius unit comes with what appears to be a dual antenna connection. There's a brown plug and a green plug. The XM unit only has one plug (violet). The plugs, of course, don't fit from the sirus to the XM. So here's what I did ... I removed the plastic plug housing from the Sirius green lead. This is done by poping out the little violet plastic retainer and then using a little force to pull the plug from the metal connector. I then used the same process to remove the plug off of the XM antenna. I placed the plastic plug from the XM antenna over the metal connector from the Sirius antenna and replaced the locking retainer. Plug the antenna into the XM unit and everything works.

I subscribed to the XM radio and NavTraffic, and the both work. I actually get better reception with the XM using the Sirius antenna then I did with the Sirius using the Sirius antenna. Strange!

Don't know how well this will work with other vehicles, however I'm ASSUMING (yeah I know what it means) that it will work with any VW with the factory installed Sirius unit.

Ok so that was my major accomplishment. Here's the other small and less notible things! There are two plugs for the factory Sirius unit with black connectors. The plug with the yellow/red wire is the possitive 12v Wire and the brown is the ground. I just tapped off of each to run power to the XM. Therefore, if I ever wanted to install the factory unit again it's just plug-n-play.

The below picture shows the antenna without the plastic plug as described above. For the picture I left it off to show that it works with the XM as well. You can also see that the connector with the brown plug was not used on the XM unit and it's seen to the left of the box.

Good luck, and I hope this can help anyone out there!

xm2_fs.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info TSCAD.

I'm another '07 Eos owner who's prolly going to replace his factory setup with a Pioneer (F series I think).

I'm a bit of a newb and was hoping you could fill me in on what wiring harness adapter I should buy.

Also were you able to keep Steering Wheel control?

I'll probably be ditching the Sirius unit as you did but adding the HD Radio option. Do you think it would be possible to do the under seat swap out like you did for your XM?

Any help on this project would be greatly appreciated. There don't seem to be many Eos upgraders on any of the Forums, and I'm having trouble deciding if I need a pro to do the install.

~Lash

• 3 months later...

We are close to NYC and use the sirius antenna with the xm also but the official word from xm is that if you leave a metropolitan area where there arent as many repeaters the reception will be very bad. I'd like to know if you have any feedback about this.

Lash as far as your question we have a page that explains the parts needed but I'm not sure about the advertising rules on here. If a mod sees this and there are rules just let me know and I wont do it again.

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/s ... GUIDE.html

• 2 months later...