AVIC411.com

JVC Arsenal KW-NX7000 vs. AVIC-f90BT

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What made you decide to go with the JVC? A big deterrent for me is the lack of user reviews, and basically a lack of information on the unit.

gaucho

JVC KW-NX7000:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-26G7lJsvno ... ailed_info

Kenwood DNX8120:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... ailed_info

Yea, ive read these reviews but they just give specs and capabilities of the units. Id like to read something that rates the unit, and gives some opinions on how well the unit preforms, ie bluetooth quality vs just saying it has bluetooth capability.

Just a note on using XM with JVC...

I have the NX5000 in my wifes car (no double DIN space in her BMW and the motorized screen single models cover the ac vents).

The system itself is quite nice but the Terk XM unit flat out sucks. I've had it replaced 6 - no exaggeration - times already and it just is crap. Even with the so called 'new versions' of the unit it still randomly resets itself back to channel 0. Changing stations too quickly will cause the XM box to freeze requiring the deck to be power cycled.

A quick google of the Terk unit will probably reveal quite a number of similar horror stories.

Perfect, that is the type of stuff I want to read. Would love to see some screenshots as well, hopefully once someone gets it installed they can throw a few pics up here for us all to see. I love the F series but just too many problems so im trying to find the closest substitute. :(

im surprised the jvc nav is getting so much hype, to my understanding JVC was along the same lines as Sony, Pyle, Jensen and Dual

I'm not sure where you got that, I've had a few JVC HU's and they were at least as well built as Pioneer. They were always a better bang for the buck new.

I have the JVC KW-NX7000 installed in my Excursion with the HD Radio, Bluetooth (supports stereo streaming audio, the pioneer doesn't) , Back up camera and bypassed (just ground brake wire). I had the AVIC-F900 at first but returned it due to the problems. Let me say that JVC blows away the Pioneer, although it cost about $200.00 more once you add the Bluetooth. Boot time is less than half of the pioneer. JVC runs on Windows Automotive not Windows CE like the Pioneer. The only drawbacks I have found are very minor. Phonebook is much better than the stupid people icons that Pioneer uses but there is no way to quickly jump through phonebook, you have to scroll through all entries to find one in the middle. No system built in voice recognition but you can use phones voice dial with two onscreen button presses. Functionality depends on phone. It wasn't a big deal not to have voice recognition because I couldn't get that to work on the Pioneer anyway, even after the update. Bluetooth sound quality is great. Back up camera has no option tu view while driving, only when in reverse. There is no RDS text for Radio as someone else posted. It uses RDS TMC for traffic, however if you use the HD radio it will give text info for all HD stations that are sending info. If you use HD Radio tuner you have to use an antenna y splitter to run the antenna to both HD tuner and radio. I found this out the hard way . At first it wouldn't get any traffic info because antenna wasn't connected to the radio, only to the HD Radio module. Graphics for all screens is much nicer than Pioneer. JVC utilizes much more area of the screen (which is larger) to display info. When listening to CD,USB,SD Text will scroll so you can see all of it. You can add Sirius or XM Radio (which very soon it won't matter which service because the merger was approved as of 7/25/08). Can do iPOD Video ( I cannot comment on iPOD controls since I don't do iPOD, I just use SD card and my Phone does MP3 player duty with streaming audio.) Mapping is great, you can do North or heading up in both 3D and 2D maps. Very easy to tell what zoom level you are set at, Pioneer is impossible to tell what zoom level is. When no route is set there are no blank boxes on the screen like Pioneer, just a nice view of the map.

Some minor issues when searching POI's. Sometimes some locations didn't show up when searching with categories like chain store, but it did show up when searching just for the name under all stores.

I have to go so that's all for now. Any specific questions that people want answered just post and I will reply when I can.

I also now have the JVC KW-NX7000 installed. Just had it done yesterday so I'm not very familiar with it all yet. I only have the Ipod working because apparently I had a faulty Sirius cable so I'm waiting to get a new one in the next few days.

First off, the JVC sticks out from the dash about 1/2 inch. Something my D3 didn't do at all. Makes sense though because of the removeable face (which was the main reason I went with this unit) and the tilt face option. Not too big a deal to me on this but if that really bugs you, you won't like the JVC.

From what I can tell though, the navigation is definitely nicer looking than the AVIC-D3. I've always preferred the full screen 3D view and this one is sweet. One thing I noticed this morning about the data in the navigation is that I was driving on a 55mph highway (the 55mph speed limit sign was being displayed on the JVC) and within 2 seconds of passing the "65 MPH BEGINS" sign, the JVC displayed the correct sign (pretty cool it was so accurate). Plus there are simply a TON of POI's on this thing.

Also, there is NO QWERTY keyboard option unfortunately. Although I will say that this thing is SUPER good at guessing what you're typing. As you type the letters in, it displays every option on the right side of the screen which keeps the typing to a minimum. The way JVC did the screen like this is why there can't be a QWERTY option (there are 6 rows of letters on the left side of the screen instead of the necessary 3 extra wide rows for QWERTY).

As for the Ipod, it's slower than the D3. Actually I didn't realize how quick the D3 was until I had something to compare it to. There's about a 5 second delay when trying to access your folders in the Ipod. Not bad I guess. But it's DEFINETLY easier to access your songs on the JVC (simply because it took forever to scroll down long lists on the D3). I had that problem rectified on the D3 however by having the "Genre" field on my Ipod simply be the letter that the band name starts with (a GENIUS idea from someone else on this site). I'm also able to watch videos on the JVC without having to access them through the Ipod (never was a big deal to me anyway on the D3 but some might like this about the JVC).

That's about all I have for now. I'll post some pics and more reviews as I get more used to the JVC (and get the Sirius installed).

any other questions then feel free to reply and I'll let you know if I can answer.

Got any pics of the NX7000 installed? I'm curious how it looks sticking out 1/2". There are often ways to get a HU more flush, but it takes a little time and work, probably more effort than an installer would want to put into it.

I'm also curious to see real screenshots of the navigation. I have never seen the D3 navigation screens, but I'm sure it's similar to the D2 and Z-series. That speed limit indicator is awesome! Last month, I took a long road trip and many dozens of times I would ask my wife, "what's the speed limit? I haven't seen a sign." When she was driving, she did the same thing. We both agreed that a speed limit indicator on the navi unit would be really helpful. Also on the lane guidance, is it any better than the Pioneers? On the Pioneer, the lane guidance only seems to work on the large 6+ lane freeways in the larger cities. On my recent trip from Springfield MO to Columbus OH, I think it only worked in St Louis and Columbus, but nowhere in between.

No QWERTY keyboard is unfortunate, but that might not be a big deal. I do know switching from D1 (ABC keyboard) to Z2 (QWERTY), I was able to type a ton faster, so that might be something I'll miss. It does seem to be a completely different system so I guess I'd have to try it.

On the iPod, I had a JVC KD-AVX2 years ago that had a skip forward 10 and skip back 10. That made browsing the playlist much faster. Does the NX7000 have this feature, or at least a way you can jump to the middle of the list rather than having to page down?

Im confused on the Ipod compatibility....you said it was relatively slow on the JVC?? Considering i have about 40gb of music on my ipod, the controls and menus need to be relatively fast when scrolling through the music. How has your experience been? Also, does it display album artwork? How large is the art? Also, any screenshots would be great!

No pics as of yet. Haven't had much chance to even play with it I've been so busy. They're coming though.

Anyway, I'll try and address these questions in order real fast:

Gnat - I haven't really ben able to test out the lane guidance yet (I don't live in the big city either). So unfortunately I'm not able to help out there. From the pics, it looks better than Pioneer's but I can't confirm.

And as I said, no QWERTY. But I know how you feel because I can typwe faster on it as well and this system is excellent at predicting your typing.

Finally with the Ipod, I'm not sure about the "Skip 10" feature. What it does have though is a scroll on the right side of the screen. If you tap halfway down on the scroll bar then it brings you exactly halfway down your list (or wherever else you tap your finger on the bar, 3/4 way down, 3/4 down your list). Or if you simply drag your finger down the scroll bar then it also scrolls down your list quickly. And this feature is fast so no worries getting to the bottom of your song list.

Gaucho: When I meant that the Ipod connectivity was slow, it's just slower than the D3 was for bringing up your songs (or artists or any other list for that matter). You can actually scroll through the long lists pretty quickly. So far I like the searching a lot.

And it does display album art (although it's relatively small). I'd say it's about 1 1/2" bu 1 1/2" so it's not bad. That is a slow feature though because it takes about 10-15 seconds after a song starts to play to display the artwork. And you have the option of displaying the song name, artist and album - OR - the artwork (with the current time). You can't display both at the same time because there's not enough room on the screen. But it's easy to flip between the two because all you have to do is hit the "DISP" button to toggle between the two.

Hope this helps some. As I said, I've been swamped but will try to get so pics out soon.