AVIC411.com

JVC Arsenal KW-NX7000 vs. AVIC-f90BT

I don't have the info in front of me but there are two ways to hook up iPod.

The USB iPod cable and JVC offers an iPod adapter. I bought the adapter from my distributor not realizing the USB would work. My JVC would not read any of my playlist nor search for songs on my iPod nano. I was informed about the USB and pow it worked. The adapter works for different generations of the iPod, I'm guessing the newest. And I belive the adapter has next to no delay. Even the delay on the USB is not that bad. I'm not displaying the art work and it plays song to song perfectly. The only delay is when searching. The same when I play a MP3 Disc, it only takes a couple seconds to load.

KSPD100 Ipod Adapter.

And on the HD subject, if you think your get HD quality your not. You may pick up the channel and listen to the HD2 channel but it's not in HD. I went around and around trying to find out why the broadcast would reduce quality a few seconds after changing stations. I also get a delay in the broadcast. They say you need a splitter, I tried an antenna Y splitter, which you do need for HD and the traffic updates. But on page 94 of the owners manual it list the part number for the splitter. KS-U21.After calling JVC I found out it's not just a splitter, they (she) couldn't tell me much more other than it's got a module inline. My JVC reps didn't even know about it. The sad part is that the part hasn't be released yet. They say some time this month.

After I turn on my unit or change a station or make a phone call it flips to auto mode and goes almost MONO. Flipping to analog and it sounds way better. But its NOT HD just stereo. Pretty bummed, I'll just have to wait.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Gaucho, I wanted to let you know that hd54321's suggestion regarding the Ipod artwork displaying was the EXACT reason why there was such a delay with the Ipod songs (major props to hd54321 for that!). I shut off the "Display Ipod Artwork" feature and it's literally 10 times faster now (about a second tops).

Searching is also a bit faster when going through artists, songs, etc. Although another thing I might try with the JVC (like I used with my AVIC-D3) was to use the "Genre" field in the Ipod as a place to label the letter A thru Z (using the first letter of the artist name or a "#" for a number). I rarely used the "Genre" field anyway because you can simply create a playlist of different genres and store them on your Ipod. This is just another faster way to find an artist on your Ipod if you're having difficulty.

One more thing, I was on vacation the past few days and used the JVC navigation. DEAD on!

Now that I'm figuring out more of the nuances with this thing, the more I'm loving it.

So when are we starting the JVC411.com forum?

I will for sure. I still need to add a backup camera and steering wheel controls possibly an antenna adapter too by the posts above for the HD radio to work right. I hope to install it this weekend.

I have a digital SLR so I am a photo hog. I will take many pics and hopefully will love this new system. It is a little scarry installing a system in a vehicle I have only had for a few months though.

I can tell you are a photographer because I see your equipment is carefully staged to look their best.I bet you placed and moved the items countless times before you were somewhat satisfied and it does look as good as the photos in magazines.I definitely want to see the pics. and a report about your unit.GoodLuck,I did my own install on my new to me truck so I know how you feel but it was a piece of cake.You Can Do It !

I also purchased the JVC KW-NX7000. GPS navigation would be the most important part of the unit for me. So I returned it immediately when a JVC supervisor confirmed that the unit does NOT have "dead reckoning" capabilities.

When there is a loss of GPS signal (driving through a tunnel or surrounded by tall buildings), dead reckoning employs the use of an internal gyroscope and a connection to the vehicle's speed sensor in order to keep the vehicle pin-pointed on the map. This significantly improves accuracy. The gyroscope tells the unit what direction you're heading and if you're turning, and the speed sensor connection of course tells the unit how fast you're traveling.

$200 windshield mount units do not have dead reckoning capabilities. All factory units, and many aftermarket in-dash units, have dead reckoning. Sadly, the KW-NX7000 nav capabilities are no better than your average $200 windshield-mount unit.

Now I am considering Pioneer's AVIC-F900BT. This unit does indeed have 'dead reckoning'. But I'm still not sure I want to wait 2 minutes everytime I turn the ignition!

I also purchased the JVC KW-NX7000. GPS navigation would be the most important part of the unit for me. So I returned it immediately when a JVC supervisor confirmed that the unit does NOT have "dead reckoning" capabilities.

When there is a loss of GPS signal (driving through a tunnel or surrounded by tall buildings), dead reckoning employs the use of an internal gyroscope and a connection to the vehicle's speed sensor in order to keep the vehicle pin-pointed on the map. This significantly improves accuracy. The gyroscope tells the unit what direction you're heading and if you're turning, and the speed sensor connection of course tells the unit how fast you're traveling.

$200 windshield mount units do not have dead reckoning capabilities. All factory units, and many aftermarket in-dash units, have dead reckoning. Sadly, the KW-NX7000 nav capabilities are no better than your average $200 windshield-mount unit.

Now I am considering Pioneer's AVIC-F900BT. This unit does indeed have 'dead reckoning'. But I'm still not sure I want to wait 2 minutes everytime I turn the ignition!

LouGPS,

I've read your post on Future Shop and here. From what I can see, the NAV is really important to you.

Based on what you wrote, I think you've returned your unit for the wrong reasons because sales guys did not do his job properly. I went my self to Future Shop to see the unit. Well I was not too impressed with their knowledge to be polite. These guys are complete ignorants and just don't know their stuff. Without giving me right information, he went on the shelf to pick a unit and bring me at the cash. I said : Hey, wait a minute, I will not buy a 1100.00$ unit with all the minimal info you gave me then I left!

Having that said, I did not purchase the unit yet, I'm still grabbing as much information I can.

For you info, the KW-NX7000 use the Sirf STAR III GPS with Egnos enabled. That mean your having one of the best GPS out there. It's accurate and you will not loose the signal even if you're traveling down town with all those tall buildings. In fact, I'm using a BT-338 Bluetooth GPS with my PDA and works pretty well downtown Montreal.

See the link here for more info:

http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/004566.php

As for the tunnels, you should ask your self: Am I going that much in tunnels to get totaly lost? Remember when you loose signal, you still have on the screen the guidance. Ie when you loose the signal , if you needed to exit at 82, you still have that info on the screen.

My point is; you need to balance the offerings and real life needs. Don' turn around 180 because of one missing feature. Analyse what is going to be the impact of that missing feature but also do the same for the one you have.

One good exemple, this is the only unit that has face removal. Even if it has the best GPS but no theif prevention and got it stolen, where do you want to go now :cry:

This was my 2 cents,

Feel free to reply!

Regards,

Charles

Thanks for the good reply, Charles.

In fairness, it was TWO JVC reps (not Future Shop) that misinformed me about dead reckoning before the purchase.

I'm quite familiar with the Sirf STAR III, and I know it's THE GPS receiver right now. I agree with you there. And you make valid points about balancing real life usage with features.

Still, I feel it's just 'wrong' to drop over a grand on an in-dash unit that does not have a basic connection to the speed sensor and internal gyro. I'm of the mind that ALL in-dash nav units SHOULD have this.

But, I can still be persuaded otherwise. I am looking at all my options. And I'm still considering Toyota's (expensive) factory unit.

Regards,

Lou.

Hi Lou,

I agree with you that why spend big money on a unit that has 1/2 features of portable units. On the positive side, simple things doesn't brake... or brake less I should say.

I made some research here and there for the KW-NX7000. From what I can read, European version is slighly different than its little US brother.

It appears that the Euro version has the gyro, speed sensor and TeleAtlas maps!

I'm still scratching my head as the reasons why. The only good reason I can find is... weather. I don't know how these things (gyro) operate but if its the little things that floats in the water or similar liquid to give North position, it can lead into problem in cold weather. Personally, I doubt they put this kind of thing into a head unit. It must be done electronicly in the calibration process.

I would love to try one without have to spend for it. When you buy things like that, you better do your homework because you have to fight hard to get your money back. Right.

Lets keep reading.

Charles

Now I am pissed that JVC put the gyro in the European model only. :(

There's no reason why it can't be incorporated into the North American unit as well! My other vehicle has the Chrysler factory unit, and that does have the gyro and connection to speed sensor, and it works fine in Canada's colder climate (have it for about 5 years now).

Further, the AVIC-F900BT also has the gyro. So, temperature is not an issue whatsoever.