AVIC411.com

JVC Arsenal KW-NX7000 vs. AVIC-f90BT

You can change the opening and closing statements by going to the "FUNC" icon when you have the map open. Then go to "Settings" and it's (I believe) under "Sounds". It'll say "Opening" and "Closing". All you do is type what you want it to say (short and quick because it's limited space) and it uses the Text to Speech software to read what you enter in that field.

Not a big feature but neat if you're into that.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have the JVC with bluetooth in a car that has remote start? If you start the car when your phone is out of range of the car, will the phone automatically connect when you get in range?

The kenwood dnx5120 will not connect automatically and I either have to restart the unit once I get in the car or do it through the setup menus

Is what I'm asking possible with any HU or am I just going to have to live with turning it on once I get in the car?

Demolition Close enough I found it on my way to work this morning. Now it says "Chris you are turning me on" haha I will leave it until my wife hears it. :lol:

STC256 I don't have a remote start but if I start it then walk back to the house to get my forgotten phone it will connect automaticly when I get to the car, so what you're asking should work.

Interesting thread and thanks to everyone for their comments and reviews. I have a couple questions about the JVC, particularly for the Toyota owners out there:

Firstly, I presume there is no way of changing the backlight color for the buttons below the screen. Correct? If so, does it bug you having different colored dash lighting?

Second... has anyone played with customizing the unit at the software level? Can it be customized as extensively as the Pioneer F-series? Are there even options to add different icons or new TTS voices, for example?

Finally... any comments on preferred dash trim kits for a 4th-gen 4runner? And does the relevent PAC steering wheel control interface work smoothly?

The comment on the easy avilability of replacement faceplates was interesting. I'd never thought that undermining the security aspect but ultimately my main concern is preventing the crack-head style smash and grab thefts, which a removeable faceplate will. Afterall, it's gonna be hard for a thief to try and fence a faceless unit quickly unless they know exactly what they're dealing with (which is not the MO of most stereo theives).

Thanks.

There is no way to change the backlight color on the buttons but it is hardly noticeable for two reasons. It’s only a ¼†part under the screen and only lights up when your hand is in proximity to it. You will be so happy with the screen you will hardly notice the buttons.

I haven’t had mine long enough to start mucking with it but I was thinking about copying the POI SD card and putting it in my PC just to see what’s there. I was thinking about backround/startup screens, and playing with the text to speech. I would leave the SD card that came with it alone and only play with a copy.

I have a 2008 RAV4 and first bought a SCHOCHE trim plate. Once I had it in hand I quickly paid three times as much to get a Toyota of Japan Double Din plate. It matches in color perfectly, fits and is made better and is recessed to fit the JVC better. Possibly the 4Runner has something similar.

Like anything else the removable faceplate won’t stop 100% of theft but will deter most. I feel it's better to have the option than not.

90beater is right about the button colors at the bottom of the screen. It's really not noticeable. The nice thing about the AVIC-D3 was that you could select the LED colors but with this JVC, the LED's are so much smaller that it's really insignificant.

I have a black '07 Toyota 4Runner that uses that orange-yellow color on the dash. If you select the yellow color on the JVC then it matches okay (not nearly as good as the D3 but good enough). Because my interior is also black, I sometimes select the "Black" color on the JVC and that looks cool too.

- 90beater, I'm interested in finding out what you're able to do with the SD card. Experiment around with it and then post if it's not too much trouble.

90beater... where did you find an OEM Toyota double-din plate? Did you order from the stealership? Getting this thing as recessed as possible would be my goal.

Now I'm less worried about LED colors, however. As long as the screen color scheme vaguely matches the weird Toyota 4runner orange (which I still hate after two years) that'll do. But I'm still gonna try and find a dealer with a JVC demo unit so I can play with it. All the shops around here only seem to have Pioneers and Kenwoods.

• 3 months later...

Hi 90beater,

I have a couple of issues with my new KW-NX7000, nothing major but I was wondering if you had the same.

Navigation related problems:

1- In navigation mode, the speed limit doesn’t show-up on the screen and speed alert warning doesn’t work. I have properly configured them in the setting pages to have them work.

2- Entering an address starting by street name then by city, doesn’t ask for the door number. If I start with city, street, then I have the door number available. My example was 175 Route 393 South, La Sarre, Quebec.

Bluetooth related problems:

1- The phone status box doesn’t show my battery level and signal strength. My phone has the capability of transferring that information since I had these info with a Pioneer F900BT. (phone is Samsung BlackJack II)

2- In navigation mode, when I’m receiving a call, the call message box appears on the display for few seconds for me to pick-up the call and this is fine. The screen sensor makes this box disappear but when I approach my hand to the screen, the call massage box doesn’t reappear. The only way I can hang-up the phone is by using my phone or the JVC remote control.

Information from the unit

Model : KW-NX7000(J)

Software : 1.2.6.0

Map: 0.9.8.0

Voice : 0.9.8.0

KS-BTA200

Firmware : HW200-SW192

Can you please check if you have the same problems and also see if you have the same map & voice version than me?

Thanks for all,

Charles

Navigation related problems:

1- In navigation mode, the speed limit doesn’t show-up on the screen and speed alert warning doesn’t work. I have properly configured them in the setting pages to have them work.

Both work on my unit. I adjusted the speed warning to the maximum 20 MPH

2- Entering an address starting by street name then by city, doesn’t ask for the door number. If I start with city, street, then I have the door number available. My example was 175 Route 393 South, La Sarre, Quebec.

Not following you 100% here. It will ask for the address number after the street name but I don't think it will ask for an apartment number if that is the detail you are asking.

Bluetooth related problems:

1- The phone status box doesn’t show my battery level and signal strength. My phone has the capability of transferring that information since I had these info with a Pioneer F900BT. (phone is Samsung BlackJack II)

Blackberry 8830 shows both signal strength and battery level

2- In navigation mode, when I’m receiving a call, the call message box appears on the display for few seconds for me to pick-up the call and this is fine. The screen sensor makes this box disappear but when I approach my hand to the screen, the call massage box doesn’t reappear. The only way I can hang-up the phone is by using my phone or the JVC remote control.

Npt sure on that one, will have to try it out.

Information from the unit

Map: 0.9.8.0

Voice : 0.9.8.0

Map: 0.9.7.0

Voice : 0.9.7.0

Looks like I need an update.

KS-BTA200

Firmware : HW200-SW192