AVIC411.com

JVC Arsenal KW-NX7000 vs. AVIC-f90BT

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see the big clock being a nice touch for some (I already have a clock right under the unit so it's no big deal to me).

Another little neat feature I discovered was that you can program a "Start Up" message and a "Closing" message. The JVC uses the text to voice software to read what you input into the settings. I programmed it to say "Hello there Stud, how are you today?" when I got in the car with my wife. She gave me the usual look. I'm not keeping that message there but it's kind of a neat extra that they don't seem to mention in any of the literature.

By the way, regarding the Ipod list scroll, when you drag your finger down the scroll bar, it'll show the "Please Wait" message at the bottom of the screen (it doesn't just scroll down the list like a regular Ipod does). I tested it out to be sure and wanted you guys to know that it's not instant. However, it's still pretty fast. Just not much reason to actually drag your finger down the scroll bar. You get the same effect if you just tap the scroll bar approximately where your desired song would be on the list.

Hope that clears some things up.

Did you install it yourself or pay to have it installed?

I'm thinking it probably sticks out because that was the easiest way to install it. The top pic at Sonic Electronix (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures.php?id=12317) doesn't look like it sticks out much at all in the factory trim ring. I think it only sticks out at the bottom because it's tilted.

A lot of times those installation kits have different sets of holes or very elongated holes where you can install it as an ISO (not using the included frame) so I think you could get it a lot more flush provided there's enough depth in the dash. When I installed my Z2, it was pretty much up to me how much it sticks out. Other than the removable face, the design of the JVC is very similar.

Maybe this is a little too much to ask, but can you take a video walking through some of the operations of the unit (specifically the iPod scrolling, album art display, navigating through songs), also just general use of the unit.

Thanks!

The removeable face was the main reason I bought this unit. My D3 was stolen out of my car in my driveway, with a high end Prestige alarm installed. So anything can happen. Don't trust just the alarm no matter how good it is.

I had the installation done at a shop. A friend of mine is one of the managers there (and I'm really just getting into the aftermarket car stereo thing over the past year so I don't trust myself to install anything more than some speakers currently). No amps or sub installed...yet.

That pic from sonicelectronix looks weird because I don't have that 1/4" trim going around it like that pic shows (as you could see from my pictures). Plus, another problem I could see with it sitting flush is that it might be more difficult to reattach the face plate to the unit. You have to angle it in at the top, then press the bottom in pretty hard to have it connect. Let me say that I'm just guessing that it could be difficult to mount it flush with the removeable plate, I don't know this for a fact.

And the video walk thru of the unit might be a bit much. Especially since I don't have a video camera. Feel free to ask any other questions though.

Did you get bluetooth installed? If so, how does it sound? I like the unit, although not a big fan of it sticking out, but if that is the only way to get the facepiece to be removable, then that is probably more important!

Thanks for those pics! How are you liking it so far?

No bluetooth installed. I was going to but i was paranoid about the compatibility issues with my Blackberry (JVC didn't list it as a compatible phone).

I'm still liking it so far though...not loving it.

The only two things that annoy me currently are the lag times between songs when trying to change them on my Ipod. On my Avic-D3, I could push the shuffle button and it would simply go thru all my songs. the Arist and Song Name would instantly appear on the screen and if I didn't like it, I'd simply hit the Next button on my steering wheel and another song would pop right up and start playing. Not so with the JVC. It seems that you're not able to change songs until the Artist and Song name are displayed (sometimes that can take about 10 seconds to load). I guess that's what you get when you use Microsoft Windows to navigate your folders.

Another thing is that I don't have an amplifier or subwoofer currently. I just replaced my factory speakers with some Alpines and that was good enough for me for the time being. The AVIC-D3 had good enough bass for me but the JVC is severly lacking. I'm not too picky but when I play "Panama" by Van Halen, I want to feel the bass drum (which I did w/ the D3). And I have all the settings on the unit set for the highest amount of bass (I think). I know I need a sub to really get what i want but I didn't think the JVC would be worse sounding than the D3.

My complaints regarding the Ipod use could be resolved though with some updates from JVC (maybe just need to figure out how to read Ipod folders more efficiently). But the lack of bass is upsetting and I'm not ready yet to install a new sub yet (but when i do, it'll most likely be an integrated amp/sub). I want a clean look but I don't want to spend $700 for the Stealth sub for my Toyota 4Runner.

If one speaker's wiring is reversed, that can have a profound impact on bass. The reversed speaker will sound fine by itself, but it's producing sound that's 180-degrees out of phase and will cancel out the bass from the other speakers. You might see if the speakers are vibrating significantly in appearance as though producing bass, but not producing it audibly.

Also, make sure you have the High Pass filter turned off or set to 0Hz, whichever that setting may be.

I installed the NX7000 in my 08 Dodge 2500 a couple weeks ago. I love it! I also install Pioneer and Kenwood, for the money the JVC rocks. Just like any other unit, it's got it's quirks but the Nav is great.

I was waiting for the F900bt, ordered two, installed one for a customer, the other one was for myself. My customer requested that I take it back out. He hated it. I returned the other and got the first JVC off the truck. I'm glad I got to see the F900 before I installed it in my truck. I've only installed one other F900 since then... with the new update! (I was out of Kenwood 5120's) I won't sell another until they improve them.

Any questions about the JVC, let me know.

Well i must say i was pretty impressed with the JVC, but if the lag on the ipod is how you describe, i must say it looks like its going to be a deal breaker. 10seconds between songs is just unacceptable. Thats pretty unfortunate too, looks like im back to the Kenwood 8120 as my first choice.

I just installed the NX7000 in 2005 GMC Sierra last weekend and so far I am very impressed with the unit. Navigation works well and seems to be fairly accurate. Drove into D.C. last week and traffic updates and lane guidance worked well.

A few additional items I installed along with the unit:

KT-HD300 (HD Tuner Module) - Nice integration with the NX7000. Only complaint is that the radio volume seems low compared to other sources on the unit (SD card or iPod). I had poor FM quality with the stock radio and am going to try replacing the antenna.

KS-BTA200 (BlueTooth Module) - Works great! Currently using this with my BlackBerry 8830 and it supports all calling features, phone book, voice dialing, etc. SMS message support not compatible with my BlackBerry.

KSU20 (iPod A/V cable) - Works as advertised however when changing display modes the Parking Brake warning kept flashing, even when using the iPod for only audio. I was able to bypass the parking brake by going to ground as previously suggested and no longer receive the message (must have been flashing due to cover art?). Video from iPod (I have an 80GB classic) works well and can be viewed either in the thumbnail size or full screen. iPod navigation speed seems to be somewhat dependant on the number of songs on the iPod. I had 6000+ songs on iPod initially and performance was not great. Reduced that number to under 500 and it seemed to improve (May have been wishful thinking on my part as I did not time it).

I had purchased the Terk XM adapter and radio however I returned the unit as it is an older generation unit. I'll wait to see what happens in the coming months with new units.

I also added a Metra adapter to retain OnStar and PAC SWI adapter to retain steering wheel controls.

Overall very nice and I am glad I decided to go with this model.

The only two things that annoy me currently are the lag times between songs when trying to change them on my Ipod. On my Avic-D3, I could push the shuffle button and it would simply go thru all my songs. the Arist and Song Name would instantly appear on the screen and if I didn't like it, I'd simply hit the Next button on my steering wheel and another song would pop right up and start playing. Not so with the JVC. It seems that you're not able to change songs until the Artist and Song name are displayed (sometimes that can take about 10 seconds to load). I guess that's what you get when you use Microsoft Windows to navigate your folders.

I'm 95% certain that the "10 second" lag you're experiencing is because of the album art. If you have the option to turn off album art, try that and then try changing songs.

I don't believe this is a limitation of JVC. I had 2 other consumer electronics items that controlled ipods and displayed album art (Alpine and DLO HomeDock) - both SUCKED. Once you turn off album art, the navigation becomes VERY fast.