AVIC411.com

JVC Arsenal KW-NX7000 vs. AVIC-f90BT

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the JVC a couple of weeks ago after I sold my Avic-D2 - It's a pretty nice unit, cool features, performs like a champ and better yet, no need for an external unit to use your iPod (I have a last gen Nano and it runs flawlessly).

The whole "No Dead Reckoning" thing bothered me as well at first, as I experienced it the rough way... I was standing under an overpass for a short while and the map started spinning and the meassage "Lost GPS Signal" came up... I was like "WTF"... but then as soon as I moved the car a bit it picked it up and the accuracy was on point. I can see how that could be a problem in a tunnel, but hey, tunnels don't usually have exits in them, so i think I'll be okay until I get out of the tunnel and let the unit pick the signal back up... As long as it's within reasonable time.

I personally think that a Navigation unit should have a gyro and connect with the VSS for speed/position accuracy... but this unit seems to do just fine without them... I actually just paid $850 for mine from Ebay... not bad if you ask me.

Hey, fraychild and 90beater,

Out of curiosity, after you turn the ignition of your vehicle, how long do you need to wait before you can listen to the radio or CD AND be able to turn the station or change the track?

Also, how long before you can actually enter an address and start navigation?

Thanks for the interesting reviews!

Lou.

The audio will start playing within a second or two when you start your vehicle depending on what your last choice was. When you start the vehicle the audio starts before the warning screen that you can’t avoid and will let you touch the OK button. The OK button on the warning screen takes a few seconds before it goes from BW to color when you can touch it. If you put the vehicle in reverse the backup camera will show up right away. No delay in that. It will go back to the warning screen when you put it in another gear. After touching the OK button it will go to your previous setting.

It’s not as much of a Burdon as it seems.

Thanks for the good reply, Charles.

In fairness, it was TWO JVC reps (not Future Shop) that misinformed me about dead reckoning before the purchase.

I'm quite familiar with the Sirf STAR III, and I know it's THE GPS receiver right now. I agree with you there. And you make valid points about balancing real life usage with features.

Still, I feel it's just 'wrong' to drop over a grand on an in-dash unit that does not have a basic connection to the speed sensor and internal gyro. I'm of the mind that ALL in-dash nav units SHOULD have this.

But, I can still be persuaded otherwise. I am looking at all my options. And I'm still considering Toyota's (expensive) factory unit.

Regards,

Lou.

Hi guys,

Lou, would you mind in sending me the contacts you spoke to at JVC? You can send it to me by private message if you want to keep confidentiality. The girl at JVC Canada was not very helpful and sounded depressive.

I need to speak with them about their theft-deterrent face plate. I'm questioning this feature because I went to their parts web site and could see plenty of face plates. If they are selling them without asking the serial #, name, address and look in their registered user data base, I just don't see the point of the face plate removal.

At the limit, I don't care if they steal the radio; it's the damage to the car I care. The damage is often a lot more expensive than the HU it self. I just don't want that. I think if thief can't buy a face plate for the unit or resale it with no market value, they will leave it there.

I’m looking for your inputs on this subject guys here.

This is really turns me OFF! Or I'm going paranoid!

Thanks to all

Charles

hey people i too was goin to get the avic-f90bt but not im lookin into the JVC but i never likes it i always been a pirneer person and de one time i used jvc it was a cr player my de work car and after a few weeks it stop playin cds but that also could of had alot to do with it being used but this thing looks and soulds sweet but theres one thing i would like help on if and of you know about it. i was looking at some screen shots and seen there was only one black rca output for subwoofer and lioke 2 white and red like others why is that and how would you go about putting in some subs?

the 2 other sets of RCA's are your fronts and rears if you decide to amp your speakers.

If you want to install a subwoofer system you need to find a sub to your liking, an amp that will power that sub accordingly, and a box that has enough airspace for the sub to perform at optimum wattage. You run a 0gauge wire from the + battery terminal to the + terminal on the amp, 0gauge wire from the amp's negative terminal to a bare metal surface on the car, and run the remote wire from the unit to the remote input on your amp. Then a set of RCA's from the subwoofer output on the unit to the RCA inputs on the amp, and then speaker wire from the amp to the subwoofer. It really is an easy set up.

no i know how to setup a system and everything and i know what amp,subs im going to buy but my thing is the sub out one the unit is only one black rca but every unit i ever used had 2 rca's a white and red so thats what i dont under stand how to setup this unit with a subwoofer setup with only 1 jack and its black so i dont even know y its like my home bose setup with de 1 amplified woofer with de 1 black jack but thanks for de help if u can answer this one for me or anyone else would be thankful

• 2 weeks later...

Ok hello ppl.. I'm new to this site.. I was actually looking for something else.. But I guess ill go ahead and share my experience.

NX7000 is better than any other pioneer I've seen. PERIOD. Its installed in my 96 Acura 3.5TL. Its also wired to four other screens in da car.. Operates perfectly..

Next as for time in starting up... Its tricky. With the radio station.. It plays immediately. Before u OK the warning.. Same with CD. With DVD... Its takes approx. 5 sec before u hear sound and about another 3-5 to push the OK button. Then u start watching DVD. I also have a 4 gig usb drive in there.. That takes almost an additional 5-7 sec after u push the OK button. The map is great.. Quick to pick up traffic and tells u how far the traffic is.. When u choose a different road.. It takes 2 sec to re-route. Great EQ with other sound setting.. And its got some different volume button.. I guess its supposed to be similar to the SLA on a pioneer, but its better and louder.. Goes to 8 unlike pioneer which goes to 4. Vicinity check to see where everything is at. Works great. It gives address and phone number and directions. I haven't bought the bluetooth adapter yet, but a friend has told me he controls phone calls through his remote control. He can dial out with the remote.. Now that's sweet. He said he never has to touch his phone. Another nice feature..you can customize the opening statement and closing.. When u trying my car on and right before u click the OK button it says Hello Junior. Closing says Goodbye Junior. But u can change all dat.. It doesn't have to say hello or goodbye.. U can make e it say hi and bye. Video quality is great.. Crystal clear.. Clear enough for me to enjoy my pRon. Detachable face is easy to take off... But also easy to break those two little clips on the side.. So be careful. You will be pissed if u break those prongs. Audio quality is great.

The only reason I haven't put it in my other baby is because I'm trying to see if pioneer is gonna make a comeback. My Infiniti has pioneer HU and EQ and all speakers are pioneer as well.. But the Z3 was a disappointment to me compared to the Z2. I careless about voice recognition. I need the removable face.

Anyway.. They better do something otherwise..I'm buying another JVC. **** oh btw.. I watch videos while driving with no probs.****

Another nice feature..you can customize the opening statement and closing.. When u trying my car on and right before u click the OK button it says Hello Junior. Closing says Goodbye Junior. But u can change all dat.. It doesn't have to say hello or goodbye.. U can make e it say hi and bye.

How exactly do you do that? Text file? I didn't see it in the manual but I have heard others post about this as well.