AVIC411.com

F700BT - Navigation preference question 2D

Sorry if I have a bit of trouble explaining this, it was easy to do on the D1, but am confused with the F700BT.

With the navigation in 2D mode, how do I set it to make the map rotate around my car, with my car always pointing straight up on the map. In other words, the car would constantly be pointing north, and then the map rotates in order to adapt to my route.

On the D1 there was an arrow key on the bottom right that you could hit to go back and forth between display modes. No such that I know of, on the F700BT. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

The F-series will ONLY do North up in 2-D mode. Don't know why. Stupid. Hopefully it will be one of the fixes in the alleged upcoming firmware fix. The only way to get your cars' heading at the top is in 3-D.
Goody, did you mean it will only do up in 3D mode? If it does it in 2-D, can you tell me how?

Yep. Only in 3-D mode will the vehicle's heading be to the top of the display. As near as everyone can figure from the manual and from poking around, Pioneer didn't think you'd want that option in 2-D. Unless that's in the list of requests for the firmware update :?: , you're always going to be oriented North-Up in the 2-D map. It is very annoying. Great point about the zoom levels, too. The "auto-zoom" feature is very finicky when compared to previous nav units I had.

The best you can do is select 3-D, touch the map, and use the rotate map icon to rotate the map to as close to vertical as possible and zoom out. That mimics a 2-D heading up mode. Sort of. :evil:

Maybe I am the only one that likes this behavior. When it is in 3D mode, it works great . When your next turn is more than 2 miles away, it will switch to 2D mode and it is nice to see which way you're moving on a map with a fixed north.

But there should be an menu option for this to change.

To be honest, I don't completely mind it. I would prefer the option though. Some folks -- my wife included -- don't read maps that well. She can't maintain her orientation unless the map's pointed in the direction she's going. It's a nightmare when we're travelling w/o a GPS, because she can't tell right from left unless we're going NORTH!! :wink:

To be honest, I don't completely mind it. I would prefer the option though. Some folks -- my wife included -- don't read maps that well. She can't maintain her orientation unless the map's pointed in the direction she's going. It's a nightmare when we're travelling w/o a GPS, because she can't tell right from left unless we're going NORTH!! :wink:

Perhaps you should switch to the 3D mode? I personally love the 3D nav with auto zoom. I love seeing exactly what the road I am traveling on looks like. I just got back from a 9hour road trip to an area I had never been to before, and besides not knowing the new development in the small town & thinking you weren't allowed to turn left on a highway, it worked great! The nav was spot on (unlike the D3), and I could see very clearly which road to to turn on, if I was going under an overpass, etc. I really liked how it would tell me which lanes to stay in as highways split off. Yes, it can be finicky from time to time, but I've found that hitting the Map button, or hitting the info button then the map button fixed all my problems. (which were admittedly caused by me fiddling with the unit's different functions.)

Using the 3D mode with auto zoom can be confusing, and it took me a little while to figure out that it would zoom out to 2D if it was >2miles to the next turn, merger, etc. Overall, the Nav makes the other quirks worthwhile for me.