AVIC411.com

I installed the Avic D3 awhile ago and just got the xm/nav. I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado that came from the GM factory XM ready with the XM Antenna mounted to the roof. I want to use this antenna with my Avic D3 and XM but I cant figure out how. So for the time being I just used the antenna that came with PIONEER GEX-P10XMT. Is there a way to use my factory mounted antenna. I called XM and they said yes but i cant figure it out. I hope someone is able to help me out

Current Setup:

Pioneer Avic-D3

Pioneer GEX-P10XMT

Here's a picture to show the antenna I am talking about:

xmantennaql4.jpg

Yea. You need to find the XM antenna wire under the dash. If it's not there get to the headliner area where the xm antenna is and try to follow the wire under the dash. Use that to connect to the Pionner XM tuner.

Since the antenna is in place you most likely have the wiring, if you do not, you can buy an extension cable and an adapter to connect it up.

My GM SUV did not come w/ XM radio, however I swapped out the Onstar combo antenna for an Onstar/XM antenna, used an extension cable and a smb female to female adapter to wire to the Pio XM tuner. Works great.

If you dont have the OEM wiring, I can get you the links for what I ordered.

I was able to figure it out friday. I found the xm tuner behind my glove box and had to trim the wire thats coming from the roof and then trim my xm/nav tuner plug and WAHOOO! it was like a champ and i even put it where my old xm tuner was.

Thanks for the help though

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I was able to figure it out friday. I found the xm tuner behind my glove box and had to trim the wire thats coming from the roof and then trim my xm/nav tuner plug and WAHOOO! it was like a champ and i even put it where my old xm tuner was.

Thanks for the help though

I have a 2005 Silverado LT3 and my satellite lead is too short ( I have the xm tuner under the console tray. did you use an extension? where did you install the tuner?

• 3 weeks later...

My GM SUV did not come w/ XM radio, however I swapped out the Onstar combo antenna for an Onstar/XM antenna, used an extension cable and a smb female to female adapter to wire to the Pio XM tuner. Works great.

Can You explain or show how you did this?

I am plaining on adding the PIONEER GEX-P10XMT to my system and wanted this mod.

I'd love to know where to get the extension because I my XM wire is under my passenger seat and it is a dual lead, so I am not sure how to hook it up but would love to get it moved to there instead of using the antenna that came with the XM unit. I got MUCH better reception on my OEM radio with XM than I do with this antenna.

Can You explain or show how you did this?

I am plaining on adding the PIONEER GEX-P10XMT to my system and wanted this mod.

The info for the antenna swap is here http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=38444.

Basically if you have a 2 lead Onstar antenna you can 'swap' the old 2 lead type antenna with a 3 lead Onstar/XM antenna.

You will need to widen the hole in the roof to do this. Not much.

DO NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THEN A STEP BIT PICTURED IN THE LINK I POSTED ABOVE.

Reason I say that is learn from my experience. I was hacking away at the hole for about an hour and I decided to pick up the bit. Made it so much easier to widen. Took a couple of minutes. Good thing I didn't damage the roof which most likely will happen.

The new antenna has 3 leads (2 Onstar: Blue/Purple, 1 XM:Yellow). Since I did not have the stock wiring I took a 15 or 20ft SMB extension cable I bought on the internet.

Now my problem was this: I had a Male lead on the Yellow XM antenna wire and a Male connector on the Pioneer XM tuner. The extension cable I ordered came as a Male to Female cable. I bought an SMB to SMB Female to Female connector on EBay and plugged it in to the antenna side. Works 100% and I really never have drop outs.

I could have just bought a Female to Female SMB cable

this may work fine http://www.cdint.com/catalog/model/SBSB-174-20. Make sure the cable is straight, no right angle connectors.

The GM part # for the wiring from roof to GM XM tuner for a Trailblazer is 15235643

This is the same antenna that I purchased:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110312663760

Hope that helps you a little bit. If you have more questions, let me know.

I'd love to know where to get the extension because I my XM wire is under my passenger seat and it is a dual lead, so I am not sure how to hook it up but would love to get it moved to there instead of using the antenna that came with the XM unit. I got MUCH better reception on my OEM radio with XM than I do with this antenna.

What type of vehicle is it? You have an aftermarket tuner with dual lead inputs and the OEM tuner has a single lead input?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2004 Silverado SS and after looking at the plug (behind the glovebox , http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ht=classic ), it looks like all that is keeping this from working is the plastic clip retainer. If you pry the little tabs on the GM wire and remove the plastic shell leaving just the wire and the end connector, the plug fits just fine. There was enough friction on mine to allow a solid connection. It's worked flawlessly throughout the three day trial, so I assume it'll work from here out. Now to find that XM discount code.....

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
I installed the Avic D3 awhile ago and just got the xm/nav. I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado that came from the GM factory XM ready with the XM Antenna mounted to the roof. I want to use this antenna with my Avic D3 and XM but I cant figure out how. So for the time being I just used the antenna that came with PIONEER GEX-P10XMT. Is there a way to use my factory mounted antenna. I called XM and they said yes but i cant figure it out. I hope someone is able to help me out

Current Setup:

Pioneer Avic-D3

Pioneer GEX-P10XMT

Here's a picture to show the antenna I am talking about:

xmantennaql4.jpg

Can I swap my old OnStar antenna with the one that's in the picture? Would there be a problem since the antenna is mounted on the other side?

• 1 month later...