AVIC411.com

D3: The first navigation unit I bought that cannot navigate.

it is a 2005 Hyundai Elantra. Where can I find the vss wire?

::::::::

VSS Wire is a grey/orange or blue/black wire under the driver side dash at the diagnostic connector !!!!

The D3 should still work without the VSS wire connected !! All the VSS wire does is give the unit an additional sensor when the GPS sattelite signal is unavailable such as going through tunnels .. It also gives you the vehicle dynamics on the D3...

I have seen some of these "navigating" problems at our shop and it was usually due to poor antenna placement or the gyro sensors somehow locked up.. Just do a "hard reset" (reset button with ignition on) and the unit will start the simple or 3d (if vss wire is connected) hybrid learning all over again and it should work fine!!

the D3 works much better with the GPS antenna outside on the roof then on the dash with the little metal stcker also..

Otherwise, it drifts off and then occasionally puts me in the middle of Manhattan and freezes there (while I am in Long Island, Staten Island, Brooklyn, or Queens).

I've had the exact same thing happen once.... I was in Philadelphia and all the sudden, the GPS is showing me in mid-town Mahattan. A quick restart and it never surfaced again.

Though recently, the GPS went haywire when my folks were learning to use their Magellan GPS in the car and I was on the NY Thruway.... first it showed me in a different location, and then the time setting was different. No biggy since I already knew were I was going. Eventually when I shut off the car....then restarted, everything was back to normal

I have a Z1 upgraded to Z3 and a D3 installed in my escalade. Neither units have the VSS wire connected, and I only had one problem with my navigation. I placed the antenna under the dash and it came up as being in Manhattan. I placed the antenna back on the dash. Started my trck up again and back on point again. Pioneer makes quality products and I wouldnt buy anything else. I would NEVER let Best Buy install anyting in my vehicle. Not even a air freshener on my rear view mirror.

Yes, this is definately a problem with the D3. I experienced it myself this week when i tried to use my D3 on its first "real" trip. I was on the ipod screen for a while and noticed that i hadn't heard the stupid b*tch telling me where to go recently, so i switched back and the damn thing had me in Brooklyn NY (i was in Maryland). It would show me turning and whatnot, but showed me sitting still otherwise. I went to the connection screen and it clearly showed a speed pulse and 7 out of 8 satellites so i know its not an installation problem (and yes the antenna is mounted on a metal surface). I manually repostitioned myself, and it was ok for a while, until we got near a city, and it randomly thought that i got off the highway and was driving down the city streets at 85mph. I thought the whole purpose of the gyro sensors were so this thing could tell when you were turing and getting off exit ramps? I don't understand how it thought i just drove over to the city at 85mph without turning....and took it at least 3-4 minutes to put me back on the highway.

On an unrelated note, on the way home, all of my custom backgrounds just disappeared, so i have no splash screen and the generic gray backgrounds.

• 3 months later...