AVIC411.com

F90BT questions, bypass, etc.

I have a 2008 Scion xB. I am thinking of purchasing the F90BT in August. I have a question which concerns navigating while driving and the bypass.

If the F90BT does voice commands, are you able to say things like "Nearest rest stop" or "Nearest gas station" while driving and you can have it adjust your route to that destination? If so, is the bypass really needed? I have no plans to watch/play videos while I am driving but it would be nice to be able to adjust my driving route without having to stop.

Hopefully, I have not been misreading what voice commands are possible with this unit.

Finally, if I wanted the bypass, do you think a "commercial" place like Tweeter would do the bypass for you? Or, would I have to do it after the install? I don't feel comfortable handling the install myself...

Thanks.

i cant answer the voice command question, but the bypass is for video and for inputting destinations while in motion. otherwise youd hafta pull over and pull the brake up everytime u need directions somewhere.

and as for actually doing it, its not hard at all. save your money. all you need are 2 T splices, a pair of pliers with snips on the crimping part, and a pointy objedt (i do it with a pocket knife)

1. cut the zip tie on the connecter to make it easier

2. take the pointy object and find the pin for the black and yellow wire (cell phone mute) and carefully lift the plastic tab thats holding the pin in place. Pull the wire out

3. on the same harness, put the pin in the empty slot 1 up, and 4 over, between 2 black wires. push it in hard to secure connection

4. take the mute wire, and cut it to about 6", and splice it to the light green wire (parking brake wire) with one of the T splices

5. cut the green wire to about 9" and splice it to the ground wire (black wire) on the same harness with the second t splice. BYPASSED.

1. cut the zip tie on the connecter to make it easier

2. take the pointy object and find the pin for the black and yellow wire (cell phone mute) and carefully lift the plastic tab thats holding the pin in place. Pull the wire out

3. on the same harness, put the pin in the empty slot 1 up, and 4 over, between 2 black wires. push it in hard to secure connection

4. take the mute wire, and cut it to about 6", and splice it to the light green wire (parking brake wire) with one of the T splices

5. cut the green wire to about 9" and splice it to the ground wire (black wire) on the same harness with the second t splice. BYPASSED.

Thanks for those excellent instructions. I had read the sticky about it but these steps make it much clearer on how to ground the wires to the black/ground wire for the wiring challenged. I just may do it myself. Now, if I can just find someone who sells them for retail or less and actually has them in stock.

the commands i kno for a fact that work are: (and anyone else, please chime in if you know other commands)

BLUETOOTH:

-call _contact_ i.e. home, john

-dial _number_ i.e (1-2-3)-4-5-6-7-8-9-0

AV:

-Chance source to _source_ i.e. FM, AM, sirius, iPod

-Play artist _artist_ i.e. godsmack, metallica, celine dion :wink:

-play album _album_ i.e. Indestructible (disturbed), doctors advocate (Game)

im not sure of any others since those 5 are the only ones i use, IF i even use em.... but theres my cents for your voice command concerns.

-Play artist _artist... celine dion :wink: ...

:shock:

That command should release the hedge clippers from under the dash and remove your nuts. You wouldn't be needing them anyway. :D

dont worry i pulled the fuse for the clippers. lol ive already said im a metalhead. i threw dion in there to add some humor. notice the wink.

it looks like this -> :wink::lol::lol:

Yeah, I got the humor. I was just saying... that's what that command SHOULD do. :twisted:

o ok lol i thought u were suggesting that in my car.

i 100% agree. if the avic hears celine dion, whitney houston, vanessa carlton, brittney spears, anything down those lines, results are castraion via hedge clippers.......you think theyll put that in the FW update?

No... simply for the reason that most of the nav options aren't meant to be used while the vehicle is on motion in the first place, so voice operation would be a waste.

HiFiSi,

I hear so many people say that. I agree that it's a terrible idea to be typing in addresses or searching POI's while moving. However, pretty much everyone here bypassed their system to be able to do just that. Who REALLY pulls over and stops EVERY time they need to do a search for the nearest In-N-Out? I think its naive to believe that people will really do that. Heck, people are already violating California's law to use hands-free headsets with their cell phones (which has been shown to only marginally reduce the risk of distracted driving anyway).

And what about the times when you have a passenger that can very safely operate your nav?

Most of the top-end NAV systems (except the F) have voice nav now. I think it's much safer to press the multi-switch and say "Find 123 Elm Street" or "Take me to the nearest Hooters" than messing with the display.

I think Pioneer needs to seriously consider how difficult it would be to add this into a firmware upgrade (understanding that the RAM in the radio is obviously limited).

Just my 2 cents. If this is supposed to be top-of-the-line, then...