AVIC411.com

Firmware Update Problem (RESOLUTION) Z1 & Z2

I have been trying to find the solution for the firmware update for AVIC-Z1 & Z2 for a while, because my AVIC-Z2 was victim of that upgrade failure problem for a while and it was a costly paper weight. I was loosing hope and nothing was working because i never left the CD in the navigation. The solution follows.

I called pioneer and they wanted me to send them the Navigation ( Don;t send the navigation to Pioneer).

Solution:

1. Leave the CD ( firmware update) in the Navigation.

2. Don;t use your car for a day or two if possible.

3. Update will run again automatically during startup and problem with be solved.

IT IS SIMPLE IS THAT.

HOW to Burn the CD.

1. You need CD-R (not Rewitable or DVD) just plain CD-R.

2. I used NERO to burn the firmware.

3. Nothing special just like regular DATA CD burn process.

Guys i repeat don;t send the Navigation to Pioneer. You will waste time and money. LEAVE the CD in the Navigation, don;t loose hope it might take a whole week, but it will work eventually. But you got to leave the CD in the Navigation, i repeat leave the CD in the navigation, don't take it out. It can solve the problem any time, while you are driving or in the morning or evening when you are starting your car. Trust me

This Firmware Update solved big problems. My Navigation was used to get freeze at the startup all the time. Mostly on the startup screen, run this firmware and problem will go away. Now it is just like perfect, no HEAT issue nothing.

" What firmware does actually it lower the speed of the Processor so it will generate less heat at startup "

I hope this will answer most of the people facing this problem.

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't want to wait, this worked for me:

1. Press the RESET and EJECT buttons simultaneously while +Battery, ACC ON.

2. Release only the RESET button.

3. Release the EJECT button when the password input screen is displayed.

4. Input the password. Input the password from the keys in the order of [P.LIST up]→[P.LIST up]→[P.LIST down]→[P.LIST down]→[TRFC(TA/NEWS)]

5. Test mode menu will be displayed when the password matches.

6. Use TRACK RIGHT to get to Page 3.

7. Use P.LIST to highlight option "10. Program forced write", then press T to select.

8. Select PLATFORM to force re-flashing the PLATFORM.

This worked beautiful. I had two customers who came in within two days who had locked up Z2's. I used the update on both of them and they both had the endless reboot. I called one of my Pioneer reps and he said "gotta send it in to us for repair". I tried the method above and it fixed both of them.

:D

I successfully did the firmware update on my early Z1, sort of. It did solve the lock up issues, but it always thought the car was in motion, and I couldn't enter addresses or do anything but use previous destinations and address book. I did the later bypass and that still didn't work. I needed to get the car back together for a car show, so I just went out and bought a Z3. Used all the original wiring and swapped it out, and the new one works perfectly now, so it wasnt a problem wiring in the new bypass. Anyone need a Z1 to play with? All the new wiring from the Z3 box available too, as I used my original wiring.

• 6 months later...

k....ive had my z2 for almost 2 years now.......its been workin great....only thing ive done to it was bypass it which only works when i press reset then map.......well last week i was driving using the navi for directions and next thing u know everything went blank and its been frozen since.......it would sometimes boot up but not for long........my question is 1) do i need to update the firmware and 2) if i do use that master reset with the reset/eject simultaneously would i lose all of my music ive loaded?? the most important thing to me are the saved songs....is there a way to fix this freezing problem without losing all of my saved data?????? thanks 8)

• 3 weeks later...

I did this (on accident, before reading this post). I didn't have to leave the car off for a full day, just overnight. I thought I had a paperweight, then 5minutes after driving...BAM....the update kicked in on its own.

I'm still trying to bypass (my control 2 already had the mute wire in the bottom left slot, and ground it causes me to loose sound controls :( ).

• 1 month later...

4. Input the password. Input the password from the keys in the order of [P.LIST up]→[P.LIST up]→[P.LIST down]→[P.LIST down]→[TRFC(TA/NEWS)]

7. Use P.LIST to highlight option "10. Program forced write", then press T to select.

I had to do this tonight, because I had the same freezing issue with my Z2 that had increased in severity over the last couple of days (and it's not been hot at all around here, nor has it been that cold). I applied the firmware this morning, but after downloading all the files, I had the looping reset issue. I followed the instructions above (and thanks much to GnatGoSplat!), but would like to make a couple of additional notes:

3. The "password input screen" is a screen that says, "PRESS RESET OR RESTART ENGINE". At this point, enter the password in step 4, and the test mode menu will appear.

6. Page 2 has the menu item you're looking for (PROGRAM FORCED WRITE). Page 3 has only one menu item.

8. Once you select PLATFORM, you have three choices: USB, DISK, and HDD. Select DISK, then press V to execute the forced write.

When you see the Success message, press the MENU button 5 times to reset the unit. Your unit should reboot and bring up the splash screen.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I seriously need help!

First of all, thank you for your previous postings, i was goning mad with the freezing issue and the official help from pioneer really is very "limited" ;-)

I do have the European version of the Z2, the HD3. For the HD3 no fix for the freezing issue can be found on the net, but I found out on the internet, that the Z2 update can be used ( e.g.: http://www.avforums.com/forums/satellit ... ic-z2.html).

I did the update, but now i am stuck in the "update failded, rebooting" loop. I disconnected the unit for 36 hours. Did not help. Then I found this posting and was happy. But I cannot get into the test mode.

I start the device (Firware cd inserted), it says starting... and then it says Updating... so during this i press RESET (the small button that can only be pressed with somethink like a needle) and EJECT. The screen goes blank, as long as reset is pressed. then i only release Reset -> unit starts, but again goes into the loop, no testmode or password menu is displayed. What am I missing?

Hi,

We can close this... I really was too stupid.

Instead of pressing the actuak Eject Button (inside, with open front) i pressed the one outside, which opens the front.

Just when i figured that out and went to the car to try again the update worked, without the need to go to test mode - miracles happen :D.

By the way, on my HD3 the update worked fine, all languages (in my case German) are still there and the Radio and Traffic information (RDS and TMC whoch are different in the Z2) are still working fine.

Freezing is also gone, as far as I have seen. Thanks to this forum!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I noticed you had a problem with your AVIC-HD3. I've been searching this forum for a solution to a similar problem - mine is freezing quite regularly at the Pioneer Start Screen and I have considered replacing the hard disk.

I will need to image the disk to transfer the contents, but I did not realise there was a firmware update available because I cannot find one on the Pioneer site. I wonder whether you can tell me how I can find one. Since I'[m in teh UK I've searched the local site as well as others, but clearly need to make sure I get the correct one.

Many thanks, David

• 1 month later...

I had to do this tonight, because I had the same freezing issue with my Z2 that had increased in severity over the last couple of days (and it's not been hot at all around here, nor has it been that cold). I applied the firmware this morning, but after downloading all the files, I had the looping reset issue. I followed the instructions above (and thanks much to GnatGoSplat!), but would like to make a couple of additional notes:

3. The "password input screen" is a screen that says, "PRESS RESET OR RESTART ENGINE". At this point, enter the password in step 4, and the test mode menu will appear.

6. Page 2 has the menu item you're looking for (PROGRAM FORCED WRITE). Page 3 has only one menu item.

8. Once you select PLATFORM, you have three choices: USB, DISK, and HDD. Select DISK, then press V to execute the forced write.

When you see the Success message, press the MENU button 5 times to reset the unit. Your unit should reboot and bring up the splash screen.

so i burned myself a disc for the firmware update as described here...been waiting for the disc to just start updating....then i tried going into the program forced write

i was able to execute the steps as instructed...but at the end of the re-flashing got the success message...pushed the menu button 5 times..but instead of getting my Z2 to reboot it tells me to push reset or restart engine :?

anybody have a solution or explanation why i keep coming back to this screen after several successful re-flashes?

i wouldnt have bothered with the firmware update coz i have not been having any issues with my Z2, but i got a cndv 800hd and it says that i need to do so before i can update my maps :(

• 1 year later...