AVIC411.com

Upon connection of my ipod (or even after leaving it connected and powering up the system)

I get a message saying "information to activate voice recognition could not be found..."

My ipod is unable to be controlled via voice commands, this is the only reason I bought this stereo, even after reading all the other problems out there.

My catalog is turned on, and my mic works to switch source, and BT phone works ok-ish. They can clearly make out what im saying on the other end.....

Mic is mounted in the dash of an 04 GTO where the factory holden monaro BT mic would be. (least amount of wind with the windows down)

The ipod is an 80gig Ipod video, maybe almost 2 years old.

I've got the same 80 gig 5.5gen ipod and my voice recognition works great. There's got to be something physically wrong with the ipod, something wrong with how it's set up, or less likely, the ipod cable. Because it's not an incompatibility problem. My guess is the files it looks for on the ipod for VR cataloging either aren't on the ipod or aren't set up correctly. Try reverting/reformatting the ipod to factory settings, reloading all the files on to it from itunes, and testing it out again.

Hmmm, all music plays fine with no issues there. Just the Voice control doesn't work.

Format and reload of the ipod is not an option, as I wiped out the computer the files were on to save space.

FWIW - the ipod has ONLY been used in my car attached to a pioneer ipod adapter.

Defective head unit perhaps ?

for "311" you can't say "three eleven" you have to say "three one one"... weird, but understandable.

Also, there are programs that you can use to pull files off your ipod back on to your computer if you've deleted them from the computer. I don't remember what they are called specifically, but you can do that if you need to.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=pulling+files+off+of+ipod&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

Do you need the Pioneer CD-IU230V ipod adapter to do voice rec for ipod or can I use the av ipod wires and the regular usb ipod adapter for pc?

Ummm... both of those connect to the data port on the ipod, so there's no way for you to use both at the same time.

You'll need the Pioneer cable.

So if I use this adapter that goes with the f900bt, then I will be able to use the voice command for ipod. Right now I can listen to music and watch videos from my ipod using the av ipod chords plugged into the av video and audio RCAs. I am just trying to save $50 but I really want the voice command option for my ipod and if this new chord is necessary, then I will buy it. Thanks for any info.