AVIC411.com

Avic D3 and iPhone 3G

I'm sure those of you who have an Avic D3 and a new iphone are aware of this problem.

I have an ipod connector for the D3 and when i connected it to the iphone 3g, the 3g said that charging was not supported.

Does everyone have this problem?

I heard it had something to do with firewire technology.

If this is the case is there a ipod wire that supports the 3G now?

I read that the new F series does, but ill post in that forum with other questions.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the new 3G Iphone also. I plugged it in and mine said the same thing. I didnt test anything esle. I did connect to my Z with bluetooth, I dont have any number in my phone yet. I made a few calls on it, the people on the other end said it sounded fine. On the D3 if you hook up the CD-BTB200 bluetooth will it play songs and video thru the bluetooth module. Also will the Ipod cord show Iphone videos or internet???

Has anybody checked if it actually still charges the phone? Maybe it's just a software message glitch... it might still actually charge the iPhone 3G (at least that's what I'm hoping).

Does the D3 (with iPod kit) charge with Firewire? If so, were hosed - that is what Apple disabled.

The problem is the new iphone does not support firewire charging which is what the pioneer cable is wired to. It will require either someone making an adapter that reroutes the firewire 12v line to the 5v usb line or pioneer releasing a new ipod cable that uses the usb 5v line.

Does the D3 (with iPod kit) charge with Firewire? If so, were hosed - that is what Apple disabled.

Certainly not firewire, Apple has not used firewire in any ipod devices since the 4th gen ipods. There is no firewire controller in the iphone 3G. USB2 only.

There is no Firewire controller, but the D3 uses the Firewire 12V pins to charge the iPod. Every iPod/iPhone device before the 3G iPhone had the 12V pins available for charging.

Now they will need a new cable that has a built-in voltage regulator to step 12V down to 5V and charge on the USB 5V pins which has been in every iPod/iPhone device since the 4th gen.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

If you're very handy, you could rewire the iPod connector to move the power wire from Firewire pin to USB pin, then cut that same wire somewhere in the cable and put a 5V voltage regulator inline.

What would be perfect is if someone built this as a female ipod connector to male ipod connector. So we could just attach it to the end of our ipod cable.

Bonus being it should work for anyone with factory ipod controls.