AVIC411.com

Fix for 3g Iphone not charging

Ok, I have the Z1/2/3 with the CD-IB100II iPod interface unit. When I connect up my 3G iPhone I get the message "This accessory is not made to work with iPhone. blah blah blah..."

I have done some research and apparently Apple has disabled/removed the Firewire charging for this phone to save $'s (unsure if it is a software or hardware disablement). Many people are having issues with accessories that utilize the Firewire charging connections in their accessories.

I think I have a solution for this issue, and will be testing it out this evening. Basically, it will involve buying a automotive USB power adapter, then re-pinning the 30pin Apple connector in the Pioneer iPod interface (not sure if I can get away with just doing the internal plug, or will require re-pinning both the 30pin connector and the internal connection) and connecting the power connections from the iPod cable to the USB power adapter. I'd rather experiment on the $40 interface than the $300 phone!

I'll take lots of pics and post the results!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, ordered the parts, should be a weeks or so before I get them. I took the connector apart last night and after about 3 hours, still the same problem! Man those wires are TINY and CLOSE together! LOL So on to plan B. Plan B will be to basically build a plug and play docking station. You'll have to plug in the Pioneer interface cable to it, a cheap 12 USB cig. Adapter, then either an extension cable or the iPhone Directly (so it will be like a hard docking port in your car). All of this should only necessitate splicing on the 12 USB adapter to the CD-IB100II's 12v power input cables (which should also let the iPhone/pod charge when the car is off)

Depending on how it tuns out, how much of a PITA (Pain In The Ass) it is and the interest in them, I might start selling them. So far the parts are about $40, so might be a bit more than that for shipping and pain and suffering!

Ok, ordered the parts, should be a weeks or so before I get them. I took the connector apart last night and after about 3 hours, still the same problem! Man those wires are TINY and CLOSE together! LOL So on to plan B. Plan B will be to basically build a plug and play docking station. You'll have to plug in the Pioneer interface cable to it, a cheap 12 USB cig. Adapter, then either an extension cable or the iPhone Directly (so it will be like a hard docking port in your car). All of this should only necessitate splicing on the 12 USB adapter to the CD-IB100II's 12v power input cables (which should also let the iPhone/pod charge when the car is off)

Depending on how it tuns out, how much of a PITA (Pain In The Ass) it is and the interest in them, I might start selling them. So far the parts are about $40, so might be a bit more than that for shipping and pain and suffering!

I trying to do the same thing you are basically and have a few questions, maybe you can help me based on your research:

1. From what you said above, it seems the 12V(old firewire) and 5V(new usb) share the SAME pin on the actual dock connector. If this is the case, then what you said should be true, all we need to do is cut open the Pioneer Ipod cable, find the 12V wire and either regulate it down to 5V, or splice in a separate 5V source.

Can anyone confirm that the 12V and 5V pins on the connector are indeed the same?

2. Did you identify the actual 12V wire in the bundle of wires in the Pioneer cable? If so let me know which wire and I can test out the method above if the 12V and 5V connectors do indeed share the same pin.

If the pins are shared here is what I plan on doing:

Get an iTip from Radio shack that outputs USB power, crack it open, and wire it inline on the 12V wire in the Pioneer bundle. This should step down the voltage to what the iPhone 3G needs to run. The iTip method saves me from having to build the circuit myself and possible screwing something up.

OK well after some more research it doesn't look like they share the same pins so our little plan will be more complex, here is what I found from the following link, not sure how much the iPhone 3G will differ:

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Important pins below:

Pins

19,20 +12V Firewire Power 12 VDC (+)

23 5 VDC (+) USB Power 5 VDC (+)

24 TPA (+) FireWire Data TPA (+)

25 Data (-) USB Data (-)

26 TPB (-) FireWire Data TPB (-)

27 Data (+) USB Data (+)

Pins 25 and 27 may be used in different manner. To force the iPod 5G to charge in any case, when "USB Power 5 VDC" (pin 23) is fed, 25 must be connected to 5V through a 10kOhm resistor, and 27 must be connected to the Ground (for example: pin 1) with a 10kOhm resistor.

Back side of dock connector;

2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30

1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 17 19 21 23 25 27 29

So maybe I will just wait until apple releases the rumored "adapter" or when I can find the above specs that are specific for the iPhone 3G. It is def. not a simple 5V splice in place of the 12V wire. Also the explanation above with pins 25-27 could get a little complicated.

I was reading another forum that there are rumors of a adapter being made for this issue...

Otherwise, would this Kensington adapter work?

http://us.kensington.com/html/11205.html

It has a pass through so you can plug in the pioneer connector...

gonna order one up and see if it does work...

Yeah it looks like that adapter will work, it doesn't specify 5V but it seems it would have to b/c it says it can charge other USB devices. My guess is that the passthrough wires for the 12V are just cut, so there is not both 12V and 5V going to the device on the corresponding pins.

I have read rumors of an adapter for the iPhone 3G but haven't seen anything yet.

The best adapter in my mind would be a small passthrough box not much bigger than the plug itself, that took the input 12V on pins 19/20 and stepped it down to 5V connecting to the output on pin 23. I have seen some say there would need to be a heatsink etc. but I don't see why. My iGo from Radio Shack outputs almost 20V but I throw the USB itip on there and it stepps that 20v down to 5 in a tiny package smaller than the iphone plug almost.

I called kensington about the pass through adapter . They said no go . Glad to know that good heads are busy at work . Bob and Weave !

why exactly is it a no go? looks like it should work but then again im not an electrician

Thy said it worked with everything but the 3G so it must be the "firewire /usb port" issue

kept looking around after i posted that and found this

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1616279&tstart=0

so i guess there is conflicting information... i just ordered one and will post when i get it.. hope it works

got it last night and ran down to the car... works great.. now I can charge while the iphone 3g is connected to the D3. One caveat though...depending on if you have a case on your iphone or not, it may be alittle wonky when connecting the kensington cable... it doesnt seat fully on one edge.

Now to find a way to bundle these two cables niceley