AVIC411.com

Fix for 3g Iphone not charging

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so my prototype board worked (although it is kinda ugly with the flux and jumper wires)! WOOT! I decided to go with a docking solution. In my testing I was able to control the 3G Phone with my steering wheel controls and thru the Avic touch panel. I was also able to charge it as well! Don't pay any attention to the two little wires on it (ended up lifitig a trace so had to make one) The board/iPhone will get it's 5v power from a USB connection (12v USB adapter) The connections are as follows:

Pioneer iPod interface cable to the lower connector

USB cable to USB connector from adapter

The iPod/Phone to the top (verticle) connector at the top

I have ordered some more boards and parts to make a finished/working board and will post pics of it and the dock in action later next week!

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn10 ... ocking.jpg

Ok, so my prototype board worked (although it is kinda ugly with the flux and jumper wires)! WOOT! I decided to go with a docking solution. In my testing I was able to control the 3G Phone with my steering wheel controls and thru the Avic touch panel. I was also able to charge it as well! Don't pay any attention to the two little wires on it (ended up lifitig a trace so had to make one) The board/iPhone will get it's 5v power from a USB connection (12v USB adapter) The connections are as follows:

Pioneer iPod interface cable to the lower connector

USB cable to USB connector from adapter

The iPod/Phone to the top (verticle) connector at the top

I have ordered some more boards and parts to make a finished/working board and will post pics of it and the dock in action later next week!

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn10 ... ocking.jpg

Since you have more skills than the rest of us, what do you think about the idea of building the whole thing into one cable and pulling power from the firewire 12v wire and reducing it to 5v instead of having the extra usb connector?

Since you have more skills than the rest of us, what do you think about the idea of building the whole thing into one cable and pulling power from the firewire 12v wire and reducing it to 5v instead of having the extra usb connector?

I tried that and apparently you still need the firewire circuit in there for some reason. That and there are different wires that are used (4 as opposed to 5). Finally, my fingers are too fat to get into where they all run (look at your connector, there are 30 pins/connections there in that space!)

kept looking around after i posted that and found this

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1616279&tstart=0

so i guess there is conflicting information... i just ordered one and will post when i get it.. hope it works

got it last night and ran down to the car... works great.. now I can charge while the iphone 3g is connected to the D3. One caveat though...depending on if you have a case on your iphone or not, it may be alittle wonky when connecting the kensington cable... it doesnt seat fully on one edge.

Now to find a way to bundle these two cables niceley

Can you explain how could you charge and still have the iphone connected to the d3?

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my kensington ipod charger and it works fine... The built in passthrough works fine with the D3 and all functions work (music/info/control)..

Just to ensure i am not burning anything out, i disabled the ipod charge on the pioneer.

Most likely gonna run the charger cable with the pioneer one and install a cig lighter behind the dashboard to make things a lot more cleaner...

• 2 weeks later...

im alittle confused why 12v is needed to charge the 3g iphone? a usb adapter works fine and that is only 5v. Where can i find the connector that is on the bottom of the iphone? i plan on making a cable that will charge the phone, allow it to be controlled with the deck and also allow you to listen to the internet radio.

edit: i found the cable i need to do this, will keep you guys updated.

edit: i found the cable i need to do this, will keep you guys updated.

How about posting where you found your connector? The Kensington unit does NOT work on the Z1. I have yet to find a cable that will plug into my Z1 AND charge my iPhone 3G. Plus, I'm unable to do anything other than play songs in order or shuffle them. Can't navigate the iPod functionality on the 3G iPhone like I could on my 2G iPod.

I was reading another forum that there are rumors of a adapter being made for this issue...

Otherwise, would this Kensington adapter work?

http://us.kensington.com/html/11205.html

It has a pass through so you can plug in the pioneer connector...

gonna order one up and see if it does work...

This is the charger/bypass I was using my factory HU to charge my iPhone 3G (Scion Pioneer Audio is FireWire based apparently), so I purchased this, and an ipod extension cable from http://www.cablejive.com/ (who are also working on a charging converter just like the kensington unit is), and now I have a 6ft longer iPod cable, and it charges my iPhone 3G, all works just like factory.

I use this with my new D3 as well, so I can confirm it does work, and greatly reccomend the charger for a simple fix, also, check for it on amazon, I scored it there for 15$, it's 30 from kensington..

• 3 weeks later...

update....

after using it for a few minutes I noticed that if I unplug the mini USB charger it will continue charging the iPhone as expected.

But it will NOT charge the iPhone unless I plug in the mini-usb charger... once is plugged-in I can unplug it and it keeps charging...