AVIC411.com

Fix to be released tomorrow?

I was just called by our Pioneer rep that say he will have an update in our hands tomorrow. I asked him what the update will fix, and he said he will not have any further details until he has it tomorrow.

We called him last Friday and told him we want to return all of our F units, that our sales staff were afraid to sell them, and he said that they were supposed to have something by Monday (yesterday) and to hang tight a few more days.

I will post any new info tomorrow.

I've been dealing with a very slow sales staff for two weeks. (and yes it is their fault. It took the whole two weeks to get a tracking number email from them!) My F700 is finally expected to be here Friday. It would be kinda comical if I had the update before the unit. Hopefully I can have it up and running before my trip...Saturday.

I called today to complain about my iPod touch not working after updating the firmware. And while there is a good chance the guy was just making stuff up, when I did ask about the update being he stated "I'd like to give you a date, but I can't. We should have had one go out last week, but it got called back a day or two prior to release"

I have no idea how they run operations over there. If they're like my company, customer support is usually well aware of release statuses. Then again, I could easily see the guy just trying to get me off the line.

Why did you call Pioneer to complain about something that Apple did?

When it comes to firmware updates, there are certain aspects that are not changed. This is so a company such as apple can update a product and ensure it is still compatible with other items: Adapters, plug-n-play stereos, yada yada yada. Most companies base their connectivity between their product and the ipod on this information and therefore usually have no problems when a new firmware is released. This is why when I plugged my iPod into my friends 7150, it still worked. Same goes with my coworkers alpine, as well as various docking stations I have tried since it started to fail.

It is entirely possible that whatever pioneer had their unit coded to read, was not based on this standard for ipod connectivity. If this is the case, pioneer is in the wrong and would have to issue an update. You cannot blame apple for a failure if pioneer went about it in the wrong kind of way.

Now, this may not be the case at all. But it is certainly a possibility and would be completely idiotic to not inform Pioneer of this issue.

Yeah, we'll never know if the problem is from apple, pioneer, or both. It's definitely worth telling Pioneer just in case. Also, we should be telling Apple as well... just in case.

Knowing Apple the way I do with the countless problems with the sad face on their ipod videos I purchased straight from their website, nothing will get resolved. Apple pretty much tweaks the firmwares so it will be unhackable. That's the main purpose. And when they release a new hot item for those apple fanboys, the firmwares get updated to the latest specs of the new items to sync with the latest itunes. As a result, you will get poor coding from apple which makes everything go crazy(hence the MANY sad face ipods that got returned after one of their updates)

paperweight? Last I saw the f-unit, the navigation, FM/AM radio, ipod, bluetooth, touchscreen work. It may need some work but calling them paperweight is not appropiate. I do think Pioneer should issue a firmware update or hardware update(extra ram) to solve the bootup time. It isn't expensive to change the ram since you can take the existing ones and use them as parts for repairs on the other units they have which do not belong to the f-series. But tweaking the unit seems pretty easy

No I am sorry but I own two Z1's updated to Z3's.... and I bought 2 F90BT's and they both have had nothing but issues. Pioneer has no excuses for releasing it as fast as they did with the issues these have. Shame on them for not testing them. I will never buy their products out of the gate like that again. I think the Z''s workd great and will keep using them until they release a fix and everyone in this forum is happy with the F units... AGAIN Shame on Pioneer...