AVIC411.com

Its a noise cancelling mic and needs some open space behind the mic to pick up that noise. Try movin it to a more open location and see if it works better

i got one of the first units too and myne sounds horrid where do you have yours located?

you can see myne in the signature picture, right below the f to the left

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So have they mentioned anything about the method of distribution for the fix? Will we have to go to Pioneer's site and download it? This guy has apparently has already gotten a fix mailed to him from Pioneer on an SD card (might be a special case, though). If it's coming on actual media in the mail, would that come straight from Pioneer and if so, how would they know who and where to send them to? Or would they send them to all the authorized dealers to have them send out to the people who bought a unit from them? And if that's the case, what would the people who bough from non-authorized dealers do?

I understand that you may not have any info on any of this, but it can't hurt to ask.

We don't have any further info, hopefully that will be in their Official Announcement.

mine is on the head liner next to the windshield, behind rearview mirror, dirvers side. Maybe I'll try moving it forward of the rearview (but that gets it closer to the sunroof). Anyhow, could also be the phone, since some folks say they have no issues.

Mine is in the same location as HiFiSi's and doesnt work well at all. I also ran it around the dash to avoid looping the wire. Maybe it is the phone??

It sucks because the BT was a big selling point for me too. I have it disabled and I'm using my old stand alone BT speakerphone.

BTW, I have F90BT

I've been looking at one of these head units to upgrade from my avic-D2 for a few weeks to see what all gets fixed.

I've been a service counter parts' guy for years for a BMW dealership. If you all have ever had exprience talking to someone with factory equipted (sp?) bluetooth interface in the past few years on a new body style 3 series. (Since '06 sedan production). The quality at highway speed w/ sunroof open, and all windows is quite good. And, In any other normal condition it's frankly amazing.

Anyway, the mics have quite a range in price, due to specific vehicle and options. Not to just use the '3' as an example but voice command (similar to F-series capabilties) with the newest of models have a different mic than bluetooth of the past 2 generations.

Regardless, I'm extremely intrested in getting a better mic in use. Does any one have a picture of the connection to the f-seires for the mic?

Further, I have about 6 mics sitting on my desk at work (All Different models). All have three pins (Waiting for a tester unit). BMW mounts all thier current production mics in what we call and "FZD". Typically placed where normal sunroof controls are located at the very foward postion on a headliner.

Finally, as vague as I have been, I'm waiting till these units are "fixed" as much as possible till experimentation starts to occur. These mics for BMW's have different purposes based on what car they are designed for and their purpose.

The problem is that Pioneer uses a crappy passive mic, whereas the OEM's use an active mic. Also, the F-Series is looking for a certain resistance to the microphone, and plugging something that is drastically different in may not only result in poor sound quality, but could also damage the unit.

That said, I do have a microphone out of an Audi that is almost identical to the type of hardware BMW is using, so I may see what happens if it's specs are close enough that it won't do any damage.

I'm right there with you though, my last Acura and Audi both had built-in Bluetooth and the sound quality was phenomenal. If Pioneer had chosen to supply a high quality mic, and designed the F-Series to take advantage of that quality, this would all be a moot point.

Hey guys... can you try to keep on topic here. No need to clutter up Al & Ed's topic about the fix update with discussions about microphone compatibility. Check the quote. He made a topic to discuss this stuff. Thanks.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108214#108214

i created this thread to get the mic question out of the update topic.

blindmind3

norcon

HiFiSi

if you can contribute to those just to get it going, itd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

i got one of the first units too and myne sounds horrid where do you have yours located?

As you can see, the mic is located a good distance away from the unit, leaving less leftover on the wire to coil up in the dash. Coiling up wire will lead to problems with interference and the more you have bundled up, the more susceptible to it it is.

DSC03116.jpg

smart place to put your mic. what happened when you put the sunvisor down? :lol:

Don't know, I almost never use the visor. I'm guessing it would block the reception somewhat, but how hard is it to flip a visor up and down if i get a phone call?

ANYWAY... BACK ON TOPIC.

Going back on topic here, I emailed Pioneer and asked about how they plan to send out updates and such. Here is the reply I got from "Pablo":

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

Pioneer is considering making the updates available to consumer in 3 different ways. You can download them from the website, order the updates from Pioneer either CD/SD card or send the unit to Pioneer for updates.

For further information call 1-800-421-1404.

Thank You,

Pablo

Customer Service Representative

BUT of course he did not indicate a date...