AVIC411.com

topic about mic placement

Really it just comes down to the quality of the mic. The unit in an Audi, BMW, Merc, Acura, etc. is $100 at dealer cost, uses RJ45 shielded cable, and is all around a much better quality unit than the $5 mic Pioneer supplies.

its more than just the mic. voice commands work no problem but the bluetooth doesnt. but at the same time, theres a difference between a human and a computer trying to understand you. maybe it can make out wat we say thru the bad quality but a person just cant understand you.

You are barking up the wrong tree if you think the crappy mic is the problem. The mic is exactly the same as the D3 (or any radio that used the CD-BTB200 Bluetooth module) and there were no bad sound quality problems with it. The problem with the F series is between the Bluetooth software and the Bluetooth chip. Mic placement does make some difference but that is not the problem here. I am a profesional Installer and always place the mic up at the headliner near the rear view mirror with excellent results (except with the F series). I normally place mic on side of an overhead console towards driver or clip to the headliner between console or mirror and sunvisor (make sure visor does not block mic when down).

with all due respect im not barking up any tree or making any conclusion as to what i thought it would be. in no post here or in any threads did i say its the crappy mic. all i meant for by creating this thread was to possibly find a commonground between certain placements and quality through other members input, and see if any useful information from here can be used to better (not perfect if the problem lies where you said it does) the quality.

for example: -u can see where mynes located and the quality is crappy

-my fiance' has a custom flush mount like myne (F700BT)

-so does my sisters boyfriend (Z3)

all 3 of us have crappy quality and i was told that the bak of the mic piece has a noice cancellation feature and having that flush mounted, it wouldnt cancel excess sound. if thats true then i think thats a valuable piece of advice for other future avic owners before they do the same thing.

i understand it may not be most useful information but im sure u can agree that placement can have an impact on the quality.

A microphone is a microphone is a microphone. It converts wave energy into electrical energy and transmits through the wire. Both the microphone and the receiver should be of good quality to reproduce the sound. In this BT case, there is another layer of data transmission stack is introduced. The stack should be able to correct the errors in transmission and reproduce the electrical signal as it was transmitted. BT stack implementation quality varies by different mfrs. So theoretically, you can resolve any issues by substituting the parts involved. The only thing we can do here is to replace the mic and adjust the position until pioneer comes up with the updated firmware.

I have my F90BT in my 04 F-150 with Sirius, HD, backup camera, and no stupid IPOD. The mike is installed on my steering column directly in front of me. When I call my wife, she says she can tell something is different, but says I sound just fine. My phone is an AT&T tilt. By the way, I have all the excess mike wire coiled in a loop just out of sight next to the steering column. The startup time for music is 20 seconds, and sd card music is 1 minute. backup camera is 20 seconds also. Bypass works great too. The only thing I hate is the static in the unit voice. Hope they fix it with the software patch.

• 1 month later...

I dont belive it's the mic, it's somthing else. This is why I believe this:

Before I got the avic-z2 I had the parrot 3200LS in my chevy silverado with the mic mounted in the overhead console next to the onstar mic. The parrot unit works great, no echo. I Then purchased my Avic-z2 and instead of re-pulling the mic wire I just REUSED the parrot mic in my pick-up.

Finally I installed the parrot kit into my Fiancee's Honda Accord WITH the mic that came with the pioneer bluetooth unit.

Results: It echo's in my pickup, but not in her car. Therefor I believe it's not the mic that is causing the problem.

I know I am a month late in chiming in on this thread, maybe someone else has pointed this out elsewhere, I dont know.