AVIC411.com

Could the Bluetooth issue be on the phone and not the unit?

So I'm reading from some:

Bluetooth is great, works perfect, love it!

And some others are saying (like me): It doesn't work at all! POS!

Well, I'm still wondering if it's the unit or the phone. I've decided to go try a few different phones later today. I'll keep you posted.

(Mine is an iPhone 1.1.2)

did anybody try this?

There is a difference between my wifes Nokia N82 and my much older 6620. In testing both of these phones I figured out how to fix the craptastic voice quality. On my Nokia 6620 I recorded a message to my voice mail to hear the quality for myself and the only way I can describe it is my voice was indistinct. (When recorded with the N82 it sounded better but not a ton.) It was like I didn't enunciate. The way I fixed it was turning off echo canceling. After I did that I could turn my fan on high (loud as hell) and the other end could hear me perfectly. I haven't had a chance to try with my windows down, but I would expect it works the same.

FYI the mic is not in that retarded stand (if it was it would sit in front of my gauges) and is stuck directly on my steering column using the double sided sticky tape intended for the mic holder.

Aaaah, interesting. One would think that Echo Cancellation is required but if it's not done properly, it could screw it up big time. I'll try this and post my findings...

I couldn't get to try more phones yet, so stay tuned on my 1st idea.

Also, does the position of the phone relative to the head-unit could make a difference?

The position can make a difference depending on the interference present in your car. Bluetooth is relatively low power, therefore, very susceptible to interference especially in a giant metal box. You also have to worry about signal strength from the outside. I usually leave my phone in my cup holder, maybe 12-14 inches from the unit. If its in my pocket sometime it cuts out, but i'm not sure if that is bluetooths fault or cell signal strength.

OK, so I tried disabling the Echo Cancellation and it didn't improve the quality.

I know the Microphone is not the problem as the unit perfectly understands voice commands.

I tried placing my phone un the cubby just under the unit (instead of my left pocket), it doesn't help either.

FWIF my Bluetooth Revision shows: HW100-SW290

Yesterday I decided to re-position the mic in my car from the speedo cluster trim above the steering wheel to the front-edge of my headliner behind the rear view mirror. This new position allowed me to un-bundle all the mic cord behind the dash as to prevent any further interference.

Needless to say, the new position is MUCH WORSE than the previous. Now the voice commands wont even work, the voice prompt just keeps coming up with the help screen after three or so attempts. I also tried the bluetooth and everybody I have called has been unable to hear me at all, all they hear is road noise and nothing else. This is driving me crazy.

I haven't tried taking the echo cancellation but i have noticed improvements from just repositioning it. I had a different bluetooth setup before (parrot) and nobody complained, i found a position and the people i talk to alot now say it is about the same.

And, i just tried taking the echo cancellation off, it sounds great now, just slightly worse than a regular phone, i'm happy with my BT for sure.

OK, so I tried disabling the Echo Cancellation and it didn't improve the quality.

I know the Microphone is not the problem as the unit perfectly understands voice commands.

I tried placing my phone un the cubby just under the unit (instead of my left pocket), it doesn't help either.

FWIF my Bluetooth Revision shows: HW100-SW290

What is the firmware revision of your unit? Also, where is your mic placed now? I can post a picture of mine if it would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what? Upgrading the iPhone to 2.0 may have solved my problem... I think...

I mean, it worked well a couple times now (also the new FW) but before upgrading to 2.0, the new FW what rebooting all the time...

I also unpair/pair again in the process so I don't know for sure what hapened but I believe I can use BT now! Bizarre!!!

The firmware patch really fixed the call quality for me. All that time spent repositioning the mic and all was pointless, since it was a firmware issue.

I still have bluetooth bugs though, about 50% of the time it sort of hangs after disconnecting. For over a minute it just sits there thinking I am in a call, and pressing the hang up button does not work.

Also this morning it was acting buggy, when I was already on a call, and the bluetooth connected mid phone call, my phone call went silent then dropped.

When I tried to call back by hitting call on the phone itself, it connected but the call display didnt pop up, and the call volume was way too low to be useful.

So... not perfect, but at least usable.

Is anyone experiencing issues with their phones reconnecting via bluetooth. I am having a lot of problems with my phone reconnecting. Sometimes it will connect after 5 min, other times 10 min, and sometimes not at all.

I have also experienced the stereo locking up after a call and not hanging up on the screen. The phone has hung up, but the stereo is still showing the call and is not playing music.. I also have issues if I am on the call on my phone and the bluetooth activates. I cannot hear anything, but stay connected.

Also, has anyone called from the contact list. Are you hearing the ringing? It is not ringing for me if I call from the contact list or by hitting "call home" button. If I dial from my phone, the bluetooth picks up and rings normal.

Sound quality has been good for me since the firmware update.

Is anyone experiencing issues with their phones reconnecting via bluetooth. I am having a lot of problems with my phone reconnecting. Sometimes it will connect after 5 min, other times 10 min, and sometimes not at all.

I have also experienced the stereo locking up after a call and not hanging up on the screen. The phone has hung up, but the stereo is still showing the call and is not playing music.. I also have issues if I am on the call on my phone and the bluetooth activates. I cannot hear anything, but stay connected.

Also, has anyone called from the contact list. Are you hearing the ringing? It is not ringing for me if I call from the contact list or by hitting "call home" button. If I dial from my phone, the bluetooth picks up and rings normal.

Sound quality has been good for me since the firmware update.