AVIC411.com

I live in Phoenix Arizona and I have an F900BT installed in my car. After reading "BIG problem! F900 doesn't like mornings - won't switch on!" I think I found the answer to my problem. "HiFiSi" states the maximum temperature "on" is 140 degrees and "off" is 176 degrees. Now I am sure that the Pioneer engineers never thought that anyone would drive around in a car that is at 140 degrees, but how about one that is locked in the sun with the temperature over 110 degrees? Yep it gets to 140 inside, no problem. so when you get in your car and start it up, sure you have the A/C on, and it does start to cool down, but that unit still has to be over the 140 degrees. That is why (I'm guessing here) my unit works fine when I leave for work in the morning, but does not work at all in the afternoon drive home. And it's pretty consistent for me.

I live in Phoenix Arizona and I have an F900BT installed in my car. After reading "BIG problem! F900 doesn't like mornings - won't switch on!" I think I found the answer to my problem. "HiFiSi" states the maximum temperature "on" is 140 degrees and "off" is 176 degrees. Now I am sure that the Pioneer engineers never thought that anyone would drive around in a car that is at 140 degrees, but how about one that is locked in the sun with the temperature over 110 degrees? Yep it gets to 140 inside, no problem. so when you get in your car and start it up, sure you have the A/C on, and it does start to cool down, but that unit still has to be over the 140 degrees. That is why (I'm guessing here) my unit works fine when I leave for work in the morning, but does not work at all in the afternoon drive home. And it's pretty consistent for me.

try those windshield shade things that reflect the sun. i got a coworker over here that uses that thing religously. should keep ur inside cooler

Wow... how can you even get in the car if it's hot enough to cause the unit not to work... That must really suck, man.

Do like he suggested and buy one of those reflective shades to help keep the sun from turning your car into an oven. Tinted windows with UV filtering also helps a lot.

Other than that, I don't think there's much you can do. If the temperature is above what's stated as the max in the owner's manual it's not like you can send it in under warranty because it's not working correctly.

What you could also try is wiring in a switch on the radio's ACC wire so you can turn it off while the car is on. That way, you can start up the car and after the AC has had a couple minutes to cool things down, you can switch the unit on and it will work properly.

If you can't find a way to keep the interior cooler, you might have to try and find a unit that has a higher maximum operating temperature.

Wow... how can you even get in the car if it's hot enough to cause the unit not to work... That must really suck, man.

Do like he suggested and buy one of those reflective shades to help keep the sun from turning your car into an oven. Tinted windows with UV filtering also helps a lot.

Other than that, I don't think there's much you can do. If the temperature is above what's stated as the max in the owner's manual it's not like you can send it in under warranty because it's not working correctly.

What you could also try is wiring in a switch on the radio's ACC wire so you can turn it off while the car is on. That way, you can start up the car and after the AC has had a couple minutes to cool things down, you can switch the unit on and it will work properly.

If you can't find a way to keep the interior cooler, you might have to try and find a unit that has a higher maximum operating temperature.

it got like 90 somethin today and when i opened the door it was like opnening your oven door on 500*

and it might be hard finding ones with a higher max, i mean inside every unit is a bunch of wires and circuits that wont operate under intense heat..

_shrug_ i really dunno then if thats how you feel, im tyrin to think of any way to keep it cooler for u

-the sunshade will work partly

-the tints might keep it cooler, but on the contrary, dark surfaces absorb heat so it can either block the sun or make it hotter..

-keep ur mindows and/or sunroof open a crack to allow cross ventilation

-if u have an automatic you can try a remote start to kick on like 10 minutes before u leave and have the ac blasting. my viper one didnt turn the radio on until u inserted the key into the ignition.

-you can do what he suggested and try the switch on the ACC but itd take more than a few minutes to cool it down enough to a working state.

I second the window reflector, and the cracking the windows thing. I do it every day and it makes a world of difference. Especially the sunroof -- keep that in the angle-up position.

Since hot air rises, this arrangement creates a convection current machine that naturally keeps your car much cooler all day. Air flows in the windows and the hottest air flows out the top.

Also if you have a sunroof, slide the opaque panel closed leaving only a couple inches open for airflow. That prevents the sun from beating straight down heating up the car.

A car is basically a science fair demo on the greenhouse effect. 140 degrees is a lot to manage though...I feel for ya

Well the F900BT shows a lot of potential, it's like everything that is new, unitl you send it to the world, you never know what will happen. I keep it under shade all day, and I don't have a problem. It's just when I park in the sun, like when I go to lunch. I have a 2003 C5 Corvette Coupe so the sun shades on that back windw pose quite a challenge, impossible really.

Keep the sunroof and windows cracked to get some ventilation going but enough that passers-by can't reach in and grab anything or unlock the door. It's not like you ever have to worry about it raining out there in Arizona... :lol: