AVIC411.com

Update Released!! For REAL!!

I have to be honest, my primary gripe was the boot up time. If that is simply because they are running windows ce. I feel bad, because I won't be getting one now then.

I now have an iphone, so traffic info is there with google maps, I don't know if I would of used the VR much anyway, granted it was very cool to say "play artist" and it would do just that.

2 mins to boot up, im sorry but if that's just the way it is, im glad I returned it and kept my D3, if they plan on using windows ce, which takes 2 mins to boot up, and they believe that is acceptable, then they just lost a customer.

Guess the D3 is the last unit ill buy from Pioneer. Glad they put out a fix for all the other little issues though.

At least we all know now what the deal is, I figured it was something goofy like the os and not some programming issue.

I am bummed, I was looking forward to reordering it and being happy!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And some of you returned your units... people in todays world need to learn patience, a company as big as pioneer isnt going to allow these major problems to go unfixed for a long period, they would go bankrupt or at least take a huge hit in business as most of us would never trust them again. a little patience never hurt anyone, if you dont like it dont buy a brand new product.

Sounds like a lot of stuff wasnt fixed. I only had 30 days to make the decision so I had to do what I thought was in my best interest. I miss MSN Direct and the other stuff my DNX8120 doesnt have but my DNX8120 just works so I guess its a trade off.

After playing with it more on the way home:

I could not get the voice dialing to work with my iPhone, but I could initiate calls from the phone and the sound quality on the other end is acceptable over the unit.

One thing I noticed is that I had a little alternator whine before the update, but it seems worse now. I faded all audio to the back to see if it changed (it did not) and then tried to set the fader back to 50/50 f/r and the unit did not respond to the button press. After 4 or so tries the unit rebooted and asked for my password again. Once it was back up and running I was able to get the front speakers to turn on again.

Sounds like a lot of stuff wasnt fixed. I only had 30 days to make the decision so I had to do what I thought was in my best interest. I miss MSN Direct and the other stuff my DNX8120 doesnt have but my DNX8120 just works so I guess its a trade off.

on myne the only thing that wasnt fixed (nor did i expect it to be) was the slow boot up time. bluetooth is crisp and clear, VR no longer hasta catalog everytime, and the screen looks much nicer now.

Just updated mine and tested for about 15 minutes.

Screen brightness: MUCH Brighter! I can see it now!!!! It was set to 4 after the upgrade. Pushed it to 9 and it's so much brighter than before the update. True test will be driving during the afternoon. I still get screen glare... need to figure out where to buy an anti-glare screen cover now.

Touch screen: Response is still sluggish for first 30 secs or so after boot up. Button options on screen are snappier after that... i.e. it actually responds. There's still a delay when I press the Map button, though.

Boot-up: :cry: Just about the only gripe I have left... for now. Maybe if I go through step 9 & 10 again and try to disable things???

iPod: Turned VR cataloguing back on. Took about 30-secs to catalog my 4GB ipod nano. Much faster than before (about 5min). Will use this a couple days to see if my iPod still crashes every other time I start my car.

Let me add something on the boot up time. 2 minutes is a major problem for some of you? I dont think you are supposed to jump into a car and go right away anyway the car needs a minute to warm up. It would be nice to have a super quick boot up time but its not a deal breaker.

Anything running any windows os runs slow and buggy anyway, its why i switched from pc to mac this january. vista is a complete joke compared to mac os.

Here's my findings after update (f700):

1) Bluetooth voice quality is much better but not perfect. There is still a lot of background hiss during calls. Useable at least now

2) Samantha's voice inflection sounds weirder but there's no more bad static on any nav voices. She is not good at pronouncing a lot of words haha.

3) Voice recognition on dialing contacts works perfectly now

4) Button responsiveness seems a bit better AFTER its been booted up for awhile

So overall I'm happy but they still need to turn off those STUPID WORTHLESS blank boxes and make the 2d nav compass changeable!!

Just updated. The fixes are welcome. Bluetooth works fairly well now. Seems like they turned down the mic sensitivity, so you have to talk a little louder, but it is understandable now. Here a a few things not yet mentioned.

When playing music (at least from an ipod) a small album art icon is shown on the map screen. I think this is new.

Placing calls still switches to the map screen.

Some of my settings were lost on update. I had to set AV1 back to iPod.

Updated the firmware. I'm happy with the VR catalog update and the fact that you don't have to do it every time you turn on the unit. Also, the Windows CE mode that you got into during step 9-10 is pretty cool. Hope we get some good hacks going!

Couple of problems though:

1. Still can't turn off beeps. In fact, now sliding master volume all the way down still leaves the beep on (when before it would turn it off). It sounds much better, but I don't want the beep and I would like it completely off.

2. I still hear a low hiss when I press a button or hear the beep and voice prompts. Everything else sounds fine.

3. Map in 2D mode is still north up only. Pretty annoying.

4. Map still has the empty boxes on the top and left hand of the screen when not in navigation mode. They need to go away.

5. Messages still pop up and block the screen. Some have been simplified a good deal, like the VR mode messages. But they need to move these messages to a common message bar that applies to all screens so they don't block menu's etc. (certainly enough empty space on screen to do something like that).

Franco

drumasia: unless you know exactly what youre lookin at when you start taking some things out, DO NOT do it.

dwhitley0381: we got the update and the units now works very well...please stop the continued complaining about pioneer, its gonna get old fast.

lemonhead: at this point it could be a personal problem, whether its your phone or your mic placement. i have myne flush fitted into the dash right next to the unit, and i also have my mic wire coiled up. and there is no problem on the other end. the only minor complaint ive heard is when im talking at normal volume they say im screaming. so the mic is very loud for them also i agree with you on its inability to pronouce...i say "play artist disturbed" she says "playinggg D arTist Disssturpt"

francojc: those are all problems that pioneer didnt think were top priority. they figured lets get this update out asap and not worry about minimal things that will slow the release down...but yes they are a pain. hopefully theyll be courteous and release a 2nd update to get rid of those other small problems

I could not get the voice dialing to work with my iPhone, but I could initiate calls from the phone and the sound quality on the other end is acceptable over the unit.

It seems really odd that my iPhone's voice dialing worked fine with no problems whatsoever.. I seem to be the only person that posted they got it to work and I didnt have any issues at all.. weird.

It seems really odd that my iPhone's voice dialing worked fine with no problems whatsoever.. I seem to be the only person that posted they got it to work and I didnt have any issues at all.. weird.

what gen is it?