AVIC411.com

Update Released!! For REAL!!

Just installed the first part of the firmware update. Between step 9 and 10, the system actually exposes Windows CE 5.0! And the craziest part is, you can do ANYTHING you want with it in this state!

I can actually open the GPS application in the Windows folder and track satellites, I can copy over IE for Windows CE and run it over Bluetooth Dialup Networking (DUN) with my Windows Mobile 6 phone! I can put any touchscreen Windows CE program I want on this puppy! It has about 1.8GB of free space. Problem is... I DON'T WANT THAT! I just want a working AVIC-F series like I paid for!!!! I am going to remove the SD card and reboot and see what happens...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only had about 10 minutes to play with it once the update was done, I will report back if I find anything else out on my drive home.

thats awesome news. try making a call on your way home and see if the bluetooth iimproved...my download still has another 10 minutes on it so ill post the results on my end when its all done

Aight, took the CD card out. Rebooted. Here are some problems that STILL exist on mine, even after checking that I'm running the newest hardware:

* Boot-up time is slow: I will say, this will NEVER go away because it is running Windows CE and boots up just like a PC. Just like your cell phone, it needs a little time to get up and going. Damn!

* 2D navigation: Still DOES NOT allow you to click the compass and always point in the direction your going instead of the north direction. My AVIC-N2 did this flawlessly.

* Response time: Still does not respond fast to commands.

* NEW BUG: Even when I turn the master volume down, I can still faintly hear the beeps and chimes from pressing buttons like MENU. I do have big amps on the thing, but it is turned ALL the way down and the other sound options are off too. WTF?

I guess I'm gonna have to realize that this OS is never going to stack up to the quicker custom OS's with hardware made EXACTLY for them, and not a generic OS that adapts to the hardware. It will be interesting to see if people hack their systems, considering getting on Windows CE is just a matter of inserting the right CD card. I'm seriously thinking of making some of my own software since I just so happen to have all the right tools on this computer as-is!

Just installed the first part of the firmware update. Between step 9 and 10, the system actually exposes Windows CE 5.0! And the craziest part is, you can do ANYTHING you want with it in this state!

I can actually open the GPS application in the Windows folder and track satellites, I can copy over IE for Windows CE and run it over Bluetooth Dialup Networking (DUN) with my Windows Mobile 6 phone! I can put any touchscreen Windows CE program I want on this puppy! It has about 1.8GB of free space. Problem is... I DON'T WANT THAT! I just want a working AVIC-F series like I paid for!!!! I am going to remove the SD card and reboot and see what happens...

Hahha yeah I thought that was a fun toy too.

But it actually has improved the AVIC.

Touch screen response, while not perfect is MUCH improved - and now within the realm of usability.

The Nav voice and beeps are much much cleaner - I never really noticed how bad they were.

Screen is MUCH brighter. At 8/10 brightness its easily twice as bright. Great fix.

Still slow to boot and slow to allow reverse screen.

I will play with it more later. I am a happy camper.

ok, jus finished the update and played around a bit. here are my results to my current knowledge:

THINGS IT DIDNT FIX:

-cant change 2D to arrow north

-those useless boxes when not in a route are still there

-that annoying red cursor still shows up.

-bootup time still sucks, but that cant be fixed with an update thru SD

THINGS THAT GOT WORSE:

-the reacton time seems a little slower when its still booting up

THINGS THAT GOT BETTER OR ARE FIXED:

-BLUETOOTH WORKS LIKE A CHARM!! lol (Verizon LG Env)

called my mom then my fiance'. both said it was alot better

-brightness is much MUCH brighter

-the VR only has to be done once now and it memorizes your ipod until you add new media

-with 4000 songs and 5 music videos i dont think it took 10 seconds.

OTHER:

did anyone else get this? after phase 2 of the update when u change the folders, it made your unit like a windows software? i was able to go into control panel and things like that. didnt affect it i just thought it was kool lol.

so there you have it. thats all ive discovered so far but this unit for me went from a 7/10 to a perfect 10. if anyone had any doubts, fear not, the unit works awesome now.

And some of you returned your units... people in todays world need to learn patience, a company as big as pioneer isnt going to allow these major problems to go unfixed for a long period, they would go bankrupt or at least take a huge hit in business as most of us would never trust them again. a little patience never hurt anyone, if you dont like it dont buy a brand new product.

only problem i have is with my iphone 3g i get the message vr catalogue did not update properly, it worked when i selected airplane mode on the iphone but then you cant receive phone calls. i only tried it twice, anyone with an iphone having that problem or know of a solution?

anyone else having problems getting the files onto an SD card?

I keep getting an error 0X800703EE

I can extract all of the files (and have tried multiple reextractions) but I am still not able to get all files of the LPUE080 folder onto my 1GB SD.

Anyone else having this problem (using Vista)

Screen is brighter.

Calls are pretty clear. My older friend could here me clearly.

Voice recognition is spotty. It would dial a spoken number but I could not get it to recognize a single name in my contacts list.

It would change sources but would not change albums but I am not sure if that works with discs or just with iPods.

Start up time is the same or worse. I guess that is something we will all have to live with.

I am sure there is more but I have not experimented with everything yet. The update went smoothly even though it was a bit complex.

Interested to read what everyone else finds.