AVIC411.com

Saab 9-5: pictures and install guide

wat an odd placement for the ignition :lol:

I was thinking the same thing. Saabs are really nice cars... but man, are they odd. Sometimes it's like they were engineered by escapees from a psychiatric ward. :lol:

The main reason is safety-related. If you get into a head-on collision, your knee won't bash into the keys. Other explanations are ergonomics. The idea is you put your seatbelt on with your right hand, start the car, release handbrake (if needed) and engage gear all in the same spot.

You get used to it quickly and it really feels odd when you have to drive a car with keys and fob dangling from the steering column. It's not odd, just different and better. :wink:

Wulf,

That is a great write-up. I have a 2002 9-5 Aero which I installed an AVIC-D3 in a couple of years ago. I've reinstalled twice, changing the mounting bezel/sleeve each time to improve appearance. Most recently I used the Pioneer ADT-VA133 but I wish I would have known about the Clarion sleeve you used. It looks terrific. Cheaper too.

Also, I didn't need to install a resistor to program the SWI-PS.

Great job.

Take care,

Charlie

• 3 months later...

Hello! Now, I know that this thread is somewhat old. But I am a newly registered member of the Avic Forums, and I came across this thread ;)

There's only one thing to say: Saab - you love it or you hate it! I own an 9-5 Estate Aero, and I am perfectly happy with it... and I got my F700bt installed yesterday. So my car almost looks like pic above ;)

I can't say anything about the F700 at the moment, but it seems to be a nice piece (with minor bugs...)

That's all

Bye

Yves

Hello! Now, I know that this thread is somewhat old. But I am a newly registered member of the Avic Forums, and I came across this thread ;)

There's only one thing to say: Saab - you love it or you hate it! I own an 9-5 Estate Aero, and I am perfectly happy with it... and I got my F700bt installed yesterday. So my car almost looks like pic above ;)

I can't say anything about the F700 at the moment, but it seems to be a nice piece (with minor bugs...)

That's all

Bye

Yves

Hi niefnief, I'm also a new user. I wrote a post with some questions about Saab - F700B, can you give it a read to see if you can solve me any of them?

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19368

Tons of thanks!!!

• 3 months later...
My brother used to work at a saab dealership...its to prevent theft...busting the steering column wont get u anywhere in this car

but breaking into the center console will :lol:

No it won't... the ignition goes directly in to the starter. no wiring. Also if for some reason you are able to start it... you will only be able to go in reverse. The ignition locks in reverse... no key no drive forward.

I owned a 900SPG turbo for a few years... amazing engineering from the same company that designed jet fighters.

Saab makes aeroplanes, jetfighters, cars, and trucks (Scania)

The jetfighter seems to be a more competitive alternative for the US J.S.F..

The cars section is now build by Opel, which belongs to General Motors... at least untill the end of this month it does :lol:

The cardesign CLAIMS to have their plane heritage in them

- doorhandles are the same shape as a wing

- the dashboard looks like a cockpit

- the position of the ignition

- even the *ding* of the board computer is like the one on a plane, as is the overhead red light saying to buckle up.

- the overhead map reading light is similar to the ones found on commercial jets

- the parking heater sounds as a jet engine

- and the indicator handles are positioned as wings (of some kind of flyer)

- they have 'air'bags

Some find SAABs boring, others say they are timeless 8)

But SAABs are driven by nice people :wink: