AVIC411.com

Ipod Voice Control - What's the verdict?

Personally, controlling ipod functionality with your voice is the feature that makes the F series so desirable.

Now that the update has been installed, what's everyone's experience with this?

Did it work fine before?

If not, did the patch help?

How does it work now?

Honestly it has worked since day one, and it works very well. The idea sounded really nice too. But after about 1 day of having this I really never used it. I'm sorry, but it's very odd to be talking to your radio while someone is in the car with you.

Personally, controlling ipod functionality with your voice is the feature that makes the F series so desirable.

Now that the update has been installed, what's everyone's experience with this?

Did it work fine before?

If not, did the patch help?

How does it work now?

it always worked but the problem pre-update was how long you had to wait to be able to use it. and everytime it had to catalog. now it memorizes the ipod in seconds and you dont hafta catalog it again until you add new songs onto it.... but hear me out on this...

a few days ago i added 2 new artists to my iPod...Dropkick Murphy's and Flogging Molly. i also forgot to turn VR bak on. i went to use the voice feature and it went haywire and played random artists completely different from anything that started with a D or an F....obviously cuz it didnt know of the 2 bands that i added.

but the avic only goes by artist or album name (playlist too, but thats irrelevant to this)...so i think youd only have to turn VR on ONLY IF youre adding a new artist so itll reconize the name when u give the command

if i didnt explain good enough think of it this way.

lets say you added a new band....we'll use slayer. everyone knows slayer :D. now you go to say play the artist slayer...it doesnt reconize the name so it gives u say, seether, or staind.

now lets say you have metallica on your iPod and it knows its name. if you add 1 more metallica song and then say play the artist metallica, it shouldnt confuse the unit cuz you already have them as an artist.

mine didn't work before the upgrade and still doesn't work.

It also doesn't recognize my commands for bluetooth, but at least the calls are clear now.

It may be that my car interior is louder than most (corvette) but I dynamatted and it really isn't that loud.

I'll play with the voice recognition again and see if there is something that I am doing wrong.

Mine works... not to well, but well enough.

It has a hard time with artists like ABC, Elton John, Tom Petty and a few others. I have a catalogue of about 19000 songs, so that may be the problem. The big one is Duran Duran, she just doesn't seem to like them and when you say Play Artist Duran Duran she likes to play Expose in its place.

I have gotten creative and I am using the genre field to put in Artist and Song Title so I can say "Play Genre Elton John Yellow Brick Road" and she'll play it. I am finding you need to do some creative spelling to make it work right in cases. For instance for Duran Duran, in the genre field if you put Durran Durran Girls on Film, she'll recognize it.

Once again it could just be the size of my collection.

Mine works... not to well, but well enough.

It has a hard time with artists like ABC, Elton John, Tom Petty and a few others. I have a catalogue of about 19000 songs, so that may be the problem.

i have the same problem with some artists. it doesnt have anything to do with the amount of songs, just the differene between how its pronounced and how the avic would pronounce it. but instead of saying play artist, try saying play THE artist. it tends to understand me better instead of saying "showing all playlists" or "playing all artists"

I have discovered that it wont recognize long names. my iPhone had some soundtrack albums as name of the album plus (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack [special Double Album]).

I had to hand edit the titles down in the iTunes software but now they are recognized.

Still no luck with an iPhone and recognizing contacts.

I have discovered that it wont recognize long names. my iPhone had some soundtrack albums as name of the album plus (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack [special Double Album]).

I had to hand edit the titles down in the iTunes software but now they are recognized.

Still no luck with an iPhone and recognizing contacts.

How long is long? ive gotten myne to work for System of a Down, Diabolical Masquerade, and Rage Against the Machine. try saying the names a little slower so it reconizes each syllable.