AVIC411.com

Day/Night Photocell Switch...

Hi Everyone,

I have an AVIC Z2 installed in my 2002 Volvo XC. The software bypass is installed and working great. I have a toggle switch installed under my dash that I have to use to swich between day and night operations. My partner has a 2007 Mercedes-Benz E-Class. The factory installed navigation system switches between day and night operations automatically. It also switches when going through tunnels. Does anyone know of a photocell switch that I can use to replace the toggle switch?

Thanks,

Kevin

It sounds like you connected the illumination wire to a switch rather than to your headlight circuit. This wire, if connected to the headlight switch circuit, automatically switches between day and night when your headlights are turned on or off.

I don't think I follow very well...

What are you trying to achieve? Are you wanting it to stay in "night mode" regardless of what time of day or just want it to respond correctly to the automatic lights... IE switch to night mode when going under a tunnel?

Either way, you don't need a photocell for it....

If you're wanting it to change into night mode when going under the tunnel, you just need to find the right wires to tap into... usually behind the light switch that changes the car to auto/on/off...

You should be able to accomplish this with your Volvo as well... No need for a switch... Maybe an installer can chime in for specifics... But it sounds like your wiring isn't exactly correct to me....

I do know that there are a couple of ML install post on this forum... as I was searching for GL specific post, which should carry over... dependant on year... but it may help you...

Thank you for the the replys...

My headlights stay on constantly. I would like my AVIC Z2 to automatically switch to night mode when it gets dark or when I enter a tunnel; swich to day mode during the day or when I exit a tunnel.

Do your instrument cluster lights stay on all the time too?

I know that my mother's Merc SL is programmed to have her headlights on all the time as well, but with her switch set to auto, the cluster/dash lights don't come on until nighttime, which is controlled by the factory/built-in photocell... Dependant on where you tapped in for the illumination, your dealer may can solve this with a simple re-program?

Thank you for the the replys...

My headlights stay on constantly. I would like my AVIC Z2 to automatically switch to night mode when it gets dark or when I enter a tunnel; swich to day mode during the day or when I exit a tunnel.

Hum.. this sounds intresting.

I too live in a country where cars has constant driving lights all day.

It should be possible to make a adjustable automatic lightsensitive switch. Let me think on this for a few days and I'll see if I can come up with something (if there is not a unit already out there that do this)...

I'm working with electronics daily, and I know of a ligtsensitive resistor (LDR) and this could be connected to a curcuit with a small relay that switches on at a specific amount of lights on the component.

As mentioned before, photocell for house lights works this way, but they operate on 230v AC (in my country at least). But we want a curcuit that works on 12v DC.

Thanks Guys,

As far as I know, the instrument cluster stays on constantly too. I'll pay closer attention to it, but I'm sure the cluster stays on...

I'll pay more attention to by partner's Benz E-class as well, but so far, I'm impressed. When you enter a tunnel or whenever it gets dark, the instument panel comes on, the NAV/radio switches to night mode and special low-lit interior lights come on. It all switches back when you exit a tunnel or when it gets bright outside...

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions on this matter. Again, thanks!

Kevin

I installed a radio in my wife's c-class that has the headlights on all of the time. I actually tapped the wire that illuminates the ring around the cigarette lighter (which is conviently close to where the radio is), as that only comes on at night/in the dark.

Just a thought, I don't know how the inside of the Volvo is set up, but this may be easier than pulling the instrument cluster to find that wire..

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

To XC90 owners:

im not familiar with the car very much, does it have any light in the headlight that goes on at night time but is not a turn signal? ie:

head.jpg

this is for an RX-8, but that little light being pointed to turns on when i hit the switch, but doesnt blink.....good spot for an ILL wire.

or as i skimmed down i saw the Cig Light bulb, which is another good option