AVIC411.com

Defeating the boot time for "short" stops..Ideas?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This need to be addressed natively by Pioneer. While testing the unit, or coming up with the prototype the should have realized that for example, people stop to drop-off kids to school, for say 10m, or stop at the gas station for 5m. So they should put the unit in a some sort of stand-by or "fast-recovery" mode for the first say 15-30m and THEN the unit shuts-down, instead of repeating the whole start-up process every time.

The unit is based on WinCE, and it's basically a mini-pc and should have this type of capability.

just my 2C.

--sav

...they should put the unit in a some sort of stand-by or "fast-recovery" mode for the first say 15-30m and THEN the unit shuts-down, instead of repeating the whole start-up process every time...

I wholeheartedly agree. There's really not even a need to go into a standby mode or hibernation. Simply turning off the screen and audio would suffice. The backlight is probably the largest power draw in the system. The CPU and fan should draw very little current during this "wait" mode, so there's no issue with draining the battery. Also, this mode could easily be user-selectable, so those who prefer a complete reboot every time (although I doubt anyone would want that) could just disable it.

-Eric

Found this in the registry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power]

"SupportPowerButtonRelease"=dword:00000000

"SystemPriority256"=dword:000000f9

"SystemIdleTimerResetEvent"="PowerManager/SystemIdleTimerReset"

"ExtPowerOff"=dword:00000000

"BattPowerOff"=dword:000000b4

"DisableGwesPowerOff"=dword:00000001

Value "BattPowerOff" determines the seconds the device will be suspended on battery power (180 standing for 3 minutes), and value "ExtPowerOff" determines the seconds if on AC power (0 meaning no sleeping on AC).

Now we need to know which of the two regs BattPowerOff, or ExtPowerOff is the one that will put it into suspend when the car is turned off, but the unit is still receiving power through the constant power line.

So if someone edits this reg to read something like

"BattPowerOff"=dword:000????? (equivalent of 24hrs)

Test it.

Then try

"ExtPowerOff"=dword:000????? (equivalent of 24hrs)

and see if either of those lets the unit go down into standby when the car is turned off.

Maybe someone can try this? Considering I don't have one, but am just looking at this reg from the other thread where a guy posted it :)

My guess is that the amount is in hexadecimal, the default "b4" meaning 180. Now... what does the 180 mean? 3 minutes? Can't be... I can turn off the ACC power for less than 1 second and turn it back on and it restarts...

My guess is that the amount is in hexadecimal, the default "b4" meaning 180. Now... what does the 180 mean? 3 minutes? Can't be... I can turn off the ACC power for less than 1 second and turn it back on and it restarts...

The 180 might be 180ms (0.18 seconds), so it might be worth trying a larger value... 4.gif

-Eric

Here's an explanation of those settings:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa910462.aspx

Since it has no internal battery, BattPowerOff likely will do nothing. I'm pretty sure the AVIC thinks it's on "AC" power all the time.

Changing ExtPowerOff might allow it to go into sleep mode, but sleeping while the ignition is turned on would be useless.

It must have a way from distinguishing between the constant v12+ line and the remote v12 line. When the remote line comes on, the unit powers on, even though it's already receiving power from the constant. So my guess is the battery power and the external power from the settings (within the reg) refer to these two power sources (constant, and remote). And have nothing to do with a physical internal battery (like a cell phone).

It's worth a try right? Anyone willing to test this?

# GWES suspend management can be disabled by setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\DisableGwesPowerOff to a nonzero value.

# Disabling GWES suspend management causes attempts to set the GWES time-out values using SystemParametersInfo to fail with ERROR_RESOURCE_DISABLED. This affects the SPI_SETBATTERYIDLETIMEOUT, SPI_SETEXTERNALIDLETIMEOUT, SPI_SETWAKEUPIDLETIMEOUT parameters. The SPI_GETBATTERYIDLETIMEOUT, SPI_GETEXTERNALIDLETIMEOUT, SPI_GETWAKEUPIDLETIMEOUT parameters will all read 0.

Hmm this is interesting, maybe this is important too?

Maybe we need to set the "DisableGwesPowerOff" to 0

Is it at all possible to connect to constant 12v not the accessory ignition and use a manual switch to power off the unit?

So you leave the unit powered while you run in and do something quick and it stays on and no boot up time when you leave. Just got to remember to switch it off.

I've seen carpc's that do this with no issue...possible for the F-series?

Yeah, that would be really easy, just connect the red ACC wire from the stereo harness to your switch, and the switch to a 12V constant source (same place the yellow wire is hooked up to).

Then as a safety feature in case you forget ....one of those sensing devices on your battery that disconnects it if the voltage drops to critical level to be able to start ....like this:

http://www.colehersee.com/pdf/hot_feed/ ... onnect.pdf

Warren C.

I agree with a lot of posters in here about the remote start. Just engage the remote start while the key is in the ignition, so you can take your keys out and set the alarm while you run into the convenient store. Eliminates having to start the engine again and waiting for the navi to boot.