AVIC411.com

Using OnStar turns power off to Z3

Howdy folks

I graduated from my N3 to a new car :shock: I had them install a Z3 in my new 2008 Solstice. Works awesome! However, when I want to make a call using the OnStar system, rather than muting the Z3, it completely shuts the power off. Then, when the call is completed, the power comes back on and of course need to wait for re-boot.

Using the Z3 bluetooth, mute works just fine. I don't plan on using the OnStar cell phone much, but when I do need it, it would be better if the navigation continued with my route.

Is this right? or is the installer yanking me when he says that's a quirk with OnStar.

Thanks

'c'

Thanks for the fast reply.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue. This was a professional install. He did a really great job (including the hack) but I can't speak to the interface. I directly asked him about why it shuts off when pressing OnStar and he said "that's because it's an OnStar issue".

I can't think that to be true, but then again... this tech-no world anything is possible.

'c'

It sounds like you could cut the interface wire between the Onstar and the Z3. You would then have to power the Z3 with an "acc" power, meaning that it shuts off when you turn the car off. The onstar would no longer mute the Z3 (you would have to manually turn down the volume or just turn it off...However you wouldn't have to worry about the boot time). You may also have to look into how it connects to the speakers...You may need to add a couple diodes.... That should take care of it, but w/o looking at it, I can't be 100% sure.

Depending on the interface there is usually a relay that will break the ACC wire. You can usually take the mute wire from the interface that goes to the relay and connect it to the mute wire on your Z3. Look at your receipt and let us know what interface you have. Depending on what module they used the Metra modules will either be GMOS-LAN-03 or GMOS-LAN-04. If they used PAC it would be OS-311, Peripheral it would be GMAHLAN11.

• 4 months later...

Your installer is correct. To use the OnStar buttons does turn off the radio. It is part of the Metra on-star/Chime interface module. I have the same issue. I am working that problem from 2 different directions. My main goal is to have the OnStar button be a "mute" button. That is pretty simple. You loose OnStar function from the steering wheel. The OnStar still works just fine from the controls on the mirror. Fine with me. I don't use the OnStar at all but I want to retain it for emergency use.

When Pioneer comes up with something that will allow wired remotes to activate voice commands then I will change my button from "mute" to "voice"

I have researched this modification but have not executed the plan yet. I work offshore and will be out for another month.

1) method is to remove the buttons from the steering wheel. Install another resistor downline from the "voice" button. This will change the voltage coming form that button to the steering wheel. The OnStar is looking for a specific voltage to activate the command from the BCM. This is how all of you steering wheel controls work. One wire and multiple voltages. In theory as long as my output voltage from the "voice" button is different from all of the other buttons it will not affect anything and I just program my PAC swips as normal. The swips will see the new adjusted voltage and program it for what you want. The GM car in question(Tahoe) will not see the correct voltage for the OnStar and therefore not turn on.

• 2 months later...

Bypass OnStar radio shut down. Yes the OnStar does shut down the radio. This can be bypassed by diconnecting the Switched 12v wire coming from your module to the radio. (the brand of module you have does not matter) When the OnStar is activated the module shuts down the radio by cutting power to this wire and the OnStar takes over. By moving the 12v Switched wire to another source keeps the radio powered up during OnStar operations. (usually the steering column is a good source for another Switched 12v source) Your radio will stay powered up during OnStar operations.

Bypass the Onstar steering whell control button for another use. The OnStar will still operate normally from the rearview mirror. But you can use the steering wheel button for another radio function. ( I wanted a mute button ) Buy cutting the green wire coming from the switch itself and installing a resitor you are changeing the output voltage from that switch to the BCM. There fore the BCM does not see the 1.61v it is looking for to activate the OnStar. When I install a resitor in my circut my voltage dropped to 1.40v. After you install the resitor you will need to reset the SWIPS because all the button on that switch will have new adjusted values. This is very simple and works great and has not other side effects whatsoever.

harnessmod.jpg

harnessmod4.jpg

http://photobucket.com/pxranger

You can also use an additional OnStar mic with your AVIC for that factory look. You can just use the housing or you can use the entire OnStar mic. The OnStar mic has background noise cancelling and works great. NO echo. You will need to desolder the mic from you original pioneer mic and and attach to the wires exiting from the OnStar mic.

• 1 year later...

Bypass OnStar radio shut down. Yes the OnStar does shut down the radio. This can be bypassed by diconnecting the Switched 12v wire coming from your module to the radio. (the brand of module you have does not matter) When the OnStar is activated the module shuts down the radio by cutting power to this wire and the OnStar takes over. By moving the 12v Switched wire to another source keeps the radio powered up during OnStar operations. (usually the steering column is a good source for another Switched 12v source) Your radio will stay powered up during OnStar operations.

Bypass the Onstar steering whell control button for another use. The OnStar will still operate normally from the rearview mirror. But you can use the steering wheel button for another radio function. ( I wanted a mute button ) Buy cutting the green wire coming from the switch itself and installing a resitor you are changeing the output voltage from that switch to the BCM. There fore the BCM does not see the 1.61v it is looking for to activate the OnStar. When I install a resitor in my circut my voltage dropped to 1.40v. After you install the resitor you will need to reset the SWIPS because all the button on that switch will have new adjusted values. This is very simple and works great and has not other side effects whatsoever.

harnessmod.jpg

harnessmod4.jpg

<!-- m -->http://photobucket.com/pxranger<!-- m -->

You can also use an additional OnStar mic with your AVIC for that factory look. You can just use the housing or you can use the entire OnStar mic. The OnStar mic has background noise cancelling and works great. NO echo. You will need to desolder the mic from you original pioneer mic and and attach to the wires exiting from the OnStar mic.

What resistor did you use here? I bought a variety pack and tried everyone one. Some had no effect, some made it so none of the buttons on that side worked at all, one made it so all the buttons acted like one button, and many just made one of the other buttons activate OnStar instead. What none of them did, however, was keep all the buttons working while bypassing the OnStar.

On a side note, my interface module doesn't seem to be able to pick up the Source Up/Source Down buttons on the right side of the steering wheel at all. It occurred to me that maybe the voltage they generate is just below the threshold of what the interface looks for, but I wasn't sure if anyone else even had this problem. I'm using the GMOS-100 interface module and my car is a 2007 Saab 9-7x with the standard GM steering wheel controls.