AVIC411.com

AVIC "F" Series Bypass (Picture Guide)

ground the wires separately especially the pb wire, attach it to the frame or something.

It detects if you have them wired togeather. I have to do mine as well.

Hardware Bypass only ..

CAn anyone confirm if the wires have to be grounded seperatly ?

I have my wires all hoked up to the main harness ground , should this work . I did move the mute wire etc ..

Thanks

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wire it however you want...

I wired mine separately when testing and had no errors, but for final install, I wired them together because it was neater for final install, then I got the faulty wiring error. I then talked to an electronics technologist and asked him. He said that it would be very easy to have a device detect if they were wired together.

I have not yet gone back and redone the wiring. Will let you know if the warning goes away.

I may be wrong, but others have mentioned the same experience and how much work is it really to wire them separately?

Up to you.

I wired mine separately when testing and had no errors, but for final install, I wired them together because it was neater for final install, then I got the faulty wiring error. I then talked to an electronics technologist and asked him. He said that it would be very easy to have a device detect if they were wired together.

I have not yet gone back and redone the wiring. Will let you know if the warning goes away.

I may be wrong, but others have mentioned the same experience and how much work is it really to wire them separately?

Up to you.

That would be fine if it wasn't nonsense, the car has a single ground point, no matter what part of the car you connect those 2 lines to, they're connected to the same ground, this is why you have hoards of us telling you that it doesn't matter.

Yes a device could tell if you used the same ground, but the point is, all grounds in the car are the same ground! There's no physical way to wire them to seperate grounds, more then enough people here have confirmed that tying the two lines together should and will work fine.

Diane

Up to you.

That would be fine if it wasn't nonsense, the car has a single ground point, no matter what part of the car you connect those 2 lines to, they're connected to the same ground, this is why you have hoards of us telling you that it doesn't matter.

Yes a device could tell if you used the same ground, but the point is, all grounds in the car are the same ground! There's no physical way to wire them to seperate grounds, more then enough people here have confirmed that tying the two lines together should and will work fine.

Diane

For this situation it is clearly bunk.

However, there is some need to have a big enough ground wire depending on the source being grounded. THat is why the car's engine has zero gauge ground to chassis. (Or is this crazy?)

the car has a single ground point, no matter what part of the car you connect those 2 lines to, they're connected to the same ground

tying the two lines together "should" work fine.

Diane

This is what I thought too and why I connected mine together even after I read about the problem.

If it is the case, why the error on the unit about grounding?

This is what I thought too and why I connected mine together even after I read about the problem.

Listen, you did something wrong in your original wiring. Whatever that something was, it has nothing to do with connecting the two wires together before grounding them. I assure you it has nothing to do with any of the odd theories here about detecting the way the wire is connected. There is no circuitry in the AVICs to do that. It is true that not all grounds are equal in a car. In particular, there are usually clean and dirty grounds. In the case of the power ground for the AVIC, you need to use a clean ground, such as what was provided for the stock radio. Beyond that, it doesn't much matter. If it helps (it probably won't) this is the opinion of an electrical engineer, not a technician.

The only change in my wiring was the grounding.

If there is no method for detection... there would be no need for an error screen at all.

All my connections are clean, well connected, soldered and shrink tubed. I used the harness ground. Used a factory harness connector and all wiring is done according to wiring diagrams with color coding and labeling provided.

Did you design this unit or something? If so, I have a couple issues with it.

The only change in my wiring was the grounding.

If there is no method for detection... there would be no need for an error screen at all.

All my connections are clean, well connected, soldered and shrink tubed. I used the harness ground. Used a factory harness connector and all wiring is done according to wiring diagrams with color coding and labeling provided.

Did you design this unit or something? If so, I have a couple issues with it.

No, I didn't design it. I design ATMs. I had issues with it too, that's why I've looked into it. The circuit in the AVIC only detects if the wire is grounded or not, not how it is grounded. You and I both know it was there to detect if the parking brake was applied or not. The override input is for installs where that isn't required. Again, something else about your wiring was wrong. You are now superstitious about this grounding thing, no different than worrying about stepping on a crack.

If it is the case, why the error on the unit about grounding?

If you're getting the error at 10MPH about being improperly grounded, that means that you have the parking line grounded correctly, but you didn't properly remove the mute wire and put it into it's new location, or didn't do the software bypass correctly.

You get this because the unit is smart enough to say "hey, the parking brake says you should be stopped, but the GPS says we're moving" and that would be the whole REASON for the software and hardware bypass.

Diane