AVIC411.com

upgrade discs

i received an email from pioneer that the upgrade discs are out for th z2. does any one know if they are basicly the same as the z3. it say they are 2008 maps. i guess what iam asking is would it be better to buy the discs or go with one of the preloaded hard drives thanks for any info

It's MUCH better to either buy a hdd from garret or to unlock your own drive and install the update yourself. With the update discs, the update could take HOURS, with gas prices the way they are do you want to run your vehicle for hours just to update your headunit? Also, the benefit of not using the discs is that your drive will be unlocked which will allow you to disable the Pioneer splash screen and some other cool stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
will it undo the bypass for the moniter while driving ?

Depends on the bypass. If you have one of the circuits I used to sell (flasher circuit) then yes, it will disable that. If your bypass is that you grounded 2 wires, then no.

The update will make the unit bypassable by a 2 wire ground method. If that's how you bypassed your current unit, then you are fine. If you have a very old Z1 with a "headlight flasher circuit" then you will need to update your bypass. But the Z3 is bypassable.

With the update discs, the update could take HOURS, with gas prices the way they are do you want to run your vehicle for hours just to update your headunit?

You could just turn the key to the on position and plug your battery on to a battery charger and plug the charger into the AC outlet.

But yes it takes a while. I could have swore 45 minutes, but YMMV....