AVIC411.com

more firmware updates, because its like any other computer?

So I was just thinking, is this a double edge sword? I mean they talk about the long boot up time just being a reality of computer based devices, so,,

I just really hope now that we know they are capable of putting out firmware updates AND if its all third party apps for navigation, speech, windows CE etc, I hope the updates come out every few months. Just like any other "computer" Bios updates, software bug fixes etc.

So I just bought mine from newegg f900bt for 799, non returnable policy so im stuck with it either way, lets hope it worth it.

Let's just hope so, I mean really truly why is there no hibernate mode? All computers have this, its existed in laptops and megallan gps's for years now. And they don't use a big honkin car battery.

So yeah, I really do hope this was a worth while purchase. 300 dollars cheaper this time, so lets hope I don't regret it. I got it once before the firmware update I hope its better now. Burn me once shame on you burn me twice, shame on me, isn't that how the saying goes?

What a horrible comparison with the Macbook.

Here is a more realistic one.

My Sprint Mogul phone which runs Windows Mobile CE, the same as the new F-series.

Mogul is usable after one minute, 15 seconds.

F900 is one minute, and you get audio after the first few seconds.

F900 for the win!

Hibernation actually uses zero voltage/current when used. Hibernation basically takes a snapshot of your desktop/open programs and stores it in non-volatile memory (requiring a longer turn-off time, requiring voltage/current). The unit can then be turned completely off. When you turn on the unit/computer, that snapshot is then restored and you are able to use the programs that were previously opened. However, there is still a start-up time when coming out of hibernation due to the loading of background processes, drivers, etc.

Since the only non-volatile memory on the F-series units is flash memory (which has higher transfer rates than most hard drives), then it would be safe to say that the data stored from hibernation would be loaded very quickly.

Hibernation will not allow instant-on for the unit, but may be able to provide much faster loading times. This all depends on the hardware in the units tho.

Guest astrobill

So...

The argument in defense of the F9XX whatever here is "it's a less powerful computer, so accept its slow performance"

Shouldn't the point be "Pioneer chose too slow a computer and OS combination to support a functional system" in your car??

We're moving up frm the Kenwood 5120 to the Kenwood 8120 in my house BTW...works great...rear passengers can watch iPod video while I use navigation or Bluetooth in the front seat...amazing.