AVIC411.com

Parts for fixing Slide/Flip-Up Problems

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update to Pioneer's parts policy at least on the N2...

I basically have the same problems as the first post here and talked to Pioneer a bit about it today. They are now saying that the ribbon cable replacement is a "factory service" with no exceptions. However they will still sell the switches and other parts from the unit. The switches are now $3.30. I also found out that they will not charge the $200 if the unit is completely functional other than the ribbon cable. Even you fix other things inside the unit yourself it's OK by them, according to 2 people I talked o there (one in warranty and the other in service). If you send it in with a bad switch they will charge the full $200 though.

On a side note I asked about their "bypass" policy on returned units and the repair guys are supposed to disconnect it and put it back to original before they are sent out. hopefully they don't find my top side jumper bypass on my N2.

Ken
The ribbon cable is now unavailable at Pioneer and all of the parts stores that I have found. However, I did get one from a third party who is producing their own, supposedly improved, version. They are selling them for $70 on ebay: [url=http://stores.ebay.com/SAME-DAY-AUTO-AUDIO-REPAIR-SERVICES]http://stores.ebay.com/SAME-DAY-AUTO-AU ... R-SERVICES[/url]

This worked for me and fixed my problems (blank screen, some buttons on front panel not working, and then later the screen not coming out).

However, as previous posts mention, be very careful about not breaking the switch. The service manual suggests holding it down if you need to slide the screen unit back into the chassis. I broke my switch while doing this. What the manual doesn't say is that the switch should be pushed down by gently pushing it from the right-hand side (as you look at the exposed circuit board). If you push it down from the top (like I did) then you can easily apply too much force and break it.

It is possible to buy a replacement switch board (which contains two switches, one for detecting that the screen is out and the other that the screen is tilted up). This saves some fiddly soldering (you still need to solder 3 wires), but costs a bit more (around $27 I recall).

If you replace the switch board, be very careful to ensure that the wires don't get tangled in the gears, and that the board is precisely placed. My board was not level with the chassis, only by about 0.5mm at one end, but that was enough to cause the lower switch (that detects whether the screen is tilted) not to activate.

Good luck!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
[quote name="fiddler"]Are you saying that you did get it from Pioneer? As far as I know they stopped selling it to consumers and made it a service-only part. The company on ebay makes their own version that is compatible, and (they say) better. Their customer service isn't quite as good though...[/quote]

i would have to disagree. I had mine replaced by the company on ebay. You can call the guy's cell phone or business phone and they answer EVERY time. I shipped my N2 to them on a tuesday, it got there on wed., they fixed it and shipped it back out on wed. to me and I received it on thursday with it working perfectly.
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I have the n3 about a year now hardly used my truck sat for awhile and the battery died upon charging the battery everthing works except the screen would not come out after putting the disk in to reload still would not come out I finally gave up and about 3 days later I hit the button and it came out I set it to auto no problems until my battery went dead again and not opening for about a week when I hit the button it beeps and I can hear momentary motor load what to do it worked fine until the battery died I tried reseting and power disconnect.
I tried to pull the screen but wont budge I reinstalled it and now It's working fine maybe memory program malfunction when battery runs down If you have this same problem completly remove/disconect all power to radio and let sit for a day may have internal battery/capacitor that need to drain down to reset parameters load disk and wait a couple minutes after done loading
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...