AVIC411.com

Parts for fixing Slide/Flip-Up Problems

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="law 3"]I replaced the spring switch the screen came out and on but didnt flip up what could i have done wrong[/quote]

Did you make sure you soldered the contact points correctly to the PC board? you might want to double check that to make sure none of the soldering points came loose. That's all that i can think of.
I have a problem with a blank screen. The screen opens, and the touch keys seem to work (even when the screen is blank), but the screen does not light up as it should. I have read through some of the posts to look for a solution, and the flex cable may be the problem. Can you confirm this?
[quote name="Xterra JC"]I have a problem with a blank screen. The screen opens, and the touch keys seem to work (even when the screen is blank), but the screen does not light up as it should. I have read through some of the posts to look for a solution, and the flex cable may be the problem. Can you confirm this?[/quote]

Sounds exactly like what happens when that flex cable gets damaged. Hurray pioneer and their crappy flex cables.
So would this be a fairly easy fix? I see that the repair kit cost only about $38. I am fairly mechanically inclined, and have some working knowledge of electronics. The guy on eBay charges about $120 for this service, which sounds less the Pioneer. However, it looks like I may be able to do it myself for much less. Any thoughts?
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]Couldn't say as far as difficulty goes. I have to ship them out, I'm not allowed to even attempt this repair at work. Which I find strange, they have no problems with me stripping the interior of a $100k bmw, but I can't take apart a $2k radio. Hmm?[/quote]

Thanks.... I ordered the part from Pioneer, and should get it tomorrow. I opted for the 2nd shipping, since it is driving me nuts not to have my screen function. I will install and report on how it goes. I looked at the instructions, and it does not look too bad. Will update after the repair.
  • 1 month later...
Pioneer sent me an email and notified me of the recall on their flex cable. I'm sending mine in. You can read it here.

[url=http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/top/cat/article/0,,2076_310069579_395713842,00.html]http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... 42,00.html[/url]
  • 1 month later...
I'm not currently having any issues with my N1. I'm moving it from the car its been installed in for about 3 1/2 years into my new Pilot. I'm considering taking it apart to solder in the jumper bypass.

Here's my question.

If I open it up and solder the jumper, will Pioneer still honor the recall on the ribbon cable if that problem crops up later on?

I don't see any kind of "in warranty" qualifier on their web site. Since my N1 is way out of warranty the modification I want to do shouldn't have any effect on the ribbon cable, but I'm worried that if I do any kind of modification at all to the unit they may blame the failure of the cable (if it ever fails) on the fact that I've taken it apart myself and then refuse to replace the cable.
My AVIC-N2 this past week started to power down and reset a few times while driving.

Then suddenly Friday, when I would start the car, the unit would show the blue power lights as it normally would, extend the screen, flip up and then shut down all lights off. The unit would respond by cylcing through a power shutdown, startup when I pressed the reset button.
Same if I removed and replaced the removable face plate.

Is this due to bad flex cable?
Will they fix free it since I bypassed it?
What are the chances of me fixing it myself? Where to get the part?
  • 2 weeks later...
It's funny how I found this tread a few days ago. This morning I started my truck the screen comes out and it's black. This will be the second time I've had to replace the flex-cable. The first time was about 2 years ago. I am not sure if the new cables were available then, can anyone offer any assistance with a date in which the new cables were but into use? I am not sure if Pioneer will replace it a second time, although I noted on their website the bulletin is dated January 3, 2007.

Anyway, I am going to call pioneer tomorrow to see if they will replace it, again. If not, I have instructions and part numbers. Thanks, guys. Now all I need is the updated disk and the XM Navtraffic reciever and I am ready to hit the road again.
  • 2 months later...