AVIC411.com

AVIC 90BT vs Kenwood DNX8120 - Help Needed for Newbie

Hi,

I have a brand new Toyota Sienna Minivan 2008 that I want to outfit with an in dash DVD, backup camera, as well as overhead DVD player.

My wife, who is not the most tech savvy, will be using it predominantly, so usability is key.

I have been looking at these two systems currently, and would really appreciate advice on which system would be the best for my situation.

Thanks,

I have nevertried the 8120, it does look pretty neat

Considering the features and the price difference the pioneer is prob a better deal, but as far as bugs, im guessing kenwood is the safer choice. The avic f series is much better now with the latest update.

The Kenwood's Garmin navigation software, bigger screen etc all look nice, but the screen icons and menu's all look pretty generic.

Is there a site like avic 411 for Kenwood? I wouldn't mind checking out that site.

The only reason I went from my avic d3 to a f series and not a kenwood was the time and money cost upgrading all components. My f series is compatible with the xm module, pac steering wheel controls and even the wiring harness, so quick easy upgrade. I didn't even have to wire in any additional modules and even go to remove the bluetooth one from the d3.

If you want to be able control playback of the overhead from the deck and have your deck start up in under 45 seconds, go with the kenwood

If you want voice recognition for ipod and bluetooth that works okay, get the pioneer

Nav is fairly easy to use on both. Pioneer A/V menu is slightly more user friendly

Like they said, Pioneer is a better deal, and its more user friendly, but the w/ all the bugs in the system it makes it much closer. Plus the voice recognition for iPod and Bluetooth is basically useless. The latest update didn't do all that much for it, so in my eyes there very close, especially with the much bigger screen on the kenwood.

I have been reading a lot of bad reviews of the F90 and I know they came out too soon but....I ordered mine about a month ago and with all this info from this site mainly I really questioned my choice, especially because of the delay and my impatience. I received my unit last week and installed it that night. I have little to know complaints, my unit is one of the updated models and it runs great! Not kind of good, not so so...great. I doubt that my unit is the only one like this...my IPod has around 5000 songs and multiple playlist the unit has recognized all my music and playlist. When using my Bluetooth I had two people ask if I got a new phone and I can hear them clear as day. The navigation is dead on...it tells me to get over to the proper lanes when I am in the wrong one. If I am the only one thank you Jesus! but I highly doubt it. (I still thank Jesus). Anyway...just my two cents. Oh yeah I also got a great deal plus the price difference. No question in my mind but we all have to make a choice.

I have the Kenwood 8120 and the nav is EASY to set up

my gf figured it out in 2 min

the audio is pretty easy also, just hit the source button and you selections come up, you can also preset your menu to only bring up certian icons

mine is set to

dvd ipod nav

you can put whatever icons you wish,or leave them all up

Thanks to everyone for their honest replies. In the end, I think I'm going to go with the Pioneer since it seems like many of the bugs were taken care of with the upgrades. Plus, it's much cheaper, and I got a great deal. I really appreciate everyone's help.

From a reputable dealer, you can get the AVICF90 for less than $900 shipped, the 900 for less than $800, and the 700 for less that $700. Probably even less on fleabay but that can be kinda sketchy

i do think it's weird how alot of people talk about the price. i got my kenwood for $1048 shipped, and while i haven't looked up the pioneer's lately, they were pretty close when i first looked.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i do think it's weird how alot of people talk about the price. i got my kenwood for $1048 shipped, and while i haven't looked up the pioneer's lately, they were pretty close when i first looked.

price played a big part in my descion also. along with bluetooth being built in and not having to buy yet another part. I found my 90bt through amazon.com/6ave (so i have warranty) for 747.00. and like someone said before you can get the 90bt from a non reputable shop for really cheap. i saw them from 750 and lower.