AVIC411.com

Kenwood DNX8120 installed *pics*

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks, a pity really, the clarion doesn't have this either, may have to stick with the original plan with the 900
Honestly, button color should be one of the features that's lowest on the list of deciding factors for which unit to buy... but that's just in my case, I guess different people have different priorities.

Yay, i got mine installed last weekend and it's quite nice. I was to get f90bt from al-eds and end up getting dnx-8120 for pretty much the same price. Al-eds f90 price + tax = dnx8120. The only issue i sometime face is with nav voice stuttering when there is a screen update going on. It doesn't happen all the time and I'm not sure if it is text-to-speech or something. I'm going to update Garmin firmware and try to see if i can update 2009 maps too to see if it helps. One other gripe i have is with Nav volume which is fixed in the setting. It does not vary/stay with regular volume setting. And I also miss the auto volume with the OEM system since it increases the volume when the road noise increase in the cabin. Now I need to get headrest monitors for the kids and use the dual zone thingy. :)

From the specs I've seen the buttons are blue and can't be changed... could be wrong though.

dnx doesnt have that feature, an led mod would be required to change the button colors

the dnx5220bt does have it... (and is cheaper in the uk then f900bt)

Are there any bugs with the 8120 that stand out? What is the boot up time like? Does the nav system prompt/notify you the appropriate number of times?

I admit I just got the f900bt, but it may be worth it considering how rare it is to actually find some good screen shots.

I assume you are very happy with it? It does look pretty nice, and considering the much larger screen and all the other features.

No voice recognition though right?

no bugs if you get the updated versions which almost everystore has now.

If not you can update it via SD card.

boot up is maybe 15 secs and thats with artwork on the ipod.

The nav will tell you at 1mile 1/2 mile and 500ft (if the next turn is that far)

Nah no voice, but I dont need it, I mean how ofter are you going to need directions? The ipod voice didnt really catch my attention either,its a cool feature,but I dont think id use it

The 8120 does have a mic. Its used for bluetooh and works great.

The blue tooth kicks in about 20 sec after boot up

See now why is it that kenwood can have a multifunction "computer" and not have a rediculous boot up? I mean the d3 was instant and was multi function, although perhaps we once again are being punished for the choice of os or third party programs.

Does the kenwood run widnows ce or a different flavor of os? If it is windows ce, I do wonder what the excuse is now, does voice recognition really take that much time to initialize? If so they shoudl give the option to disable it, especially if it would take 30-45 seconds off the bootup time. Bluewooth is the last thing loaded at around the 1 minute 30 second mark, crazy stuff.

Owell overall the f900bt is a nice unit, I just wish they would of let it bake. I would of been happy to wait an extra 3 months to have a perfect unit out of the box then being obsessed with waiting for updates and being annoyed day after day.

The kenwood is a lot mroe expensive though, 1100 is the cheapest you can find it online. I found the f900bt for 800 from newegg. So is it worth it at hundreds of dollars more?

Heck maybe as an experiment just buy the kenwood, use it until the next update comes out haha. Way to distract yourself from the bugs.

Well I almost got the time alignment set.

This was a HUGE deciding factor on my part. The nav is somewhat important but not as important as the audio

I am currenly running some CDT Es series components and the Kenwood made them shine.

Last year when I had the D3 I was kinda upset that the D3 had a very basic EQ, I just couldnt get it tuned right.

The 8120s EQ is almost flat expect for the 16k 2+db ( i like a little trebble) The sound from this thing is amazing.

Im not trying to knock Pioneer. I have ran MANY Pioneer units in the past and was very happy with them.

If SQ is your goal the 8120 will help you reach that goal with ease.

The time alignment makes the entire setup sound differant. The tweets seem to be more balanced and dont seem to be overpowering.

The kenwood is a lot mroe expensive though, 1100 is the cheapest you can find it online. I found the f900bt for 800 from newegg. So is it worth it at hundreds of dollars more?

you can find em on Ebay for 800,they are refurbs which isnt reallya big deal. You can purchase the 1 year square trade warrtanty for under $100, 2 year is like $129

I really do think its worth the extra money if SQ is your thing. If you more concerened about nav then the 90bt might more for you.