AVIC411.com

Owners of F Series - Would you do it again?

id do it again, AND recommend it to people.

no offense but if my friend recommended this to me, and I paid 850 or whatever for it, we would not be friends long. At the very least I would never ask for his recommendation again.

Even if you are ok with the bugs, how can you recommend it?

Personally the only bug that still remains for me is the boot up time. everything else has either been fixed by Pioneer or members of this forum. So I would recommend it any day.

Also there is no other unit on the market that's as customizable as this unit. As I'm typing this I'm creating a custom skin for the voice commands menu which I'll be posting when its done.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id do it again, AND recommend it to people.

no offense but if my friend recommended this to me, and I paid 850 or whatever for it, we would not be friends long. At the very least I would never ask for his recommendation again.

Even if you are ok with the bugs, how can you recommend it?

Personally the only bug that still remains for me is the boot up time. everything else has either been fixed by Pioneer or members of this forum. So I would recommend it any day.

Also there is no other unit on the market that's as customizable as this unit. As I'm typing this I'm creating a custom skin for the voice commands menu which I'll be posting when its done.

Then you are clearly having more luck with it then me. People have done a great job fixing things like the blue boxes, etc. But for me those were way low on the priority list. I have crashes, and bluetooth problems, general sluggishness, etc.

Guest astrobill

Asking if you'd "do it again" with the AVICs is the wrong question. What you should be asking is:

"How do the AVIC Series compare with every other cutting-edge in-dash nav system in its class?"

The answer: A resounding "INFERIOR IN MOST EVERY RESPECT!!!"

Come on...just go buy a Kenwood DX8120 (or whatever the model number is now...). Everything works right, no stupid prototype bugs, etc. No comical mistakes with the Bluetooth...

The fact that this thread even EXISTS -- not to mention the ENTIRE SITE -- tells you something...how many other products require massive numbers of online support communities to resolve the seemingly endless issues and problems? It's like an online support group for alcoholics anonymous.

And don't give me that "every new product has bugs" crap. Most Apple products work like a charm right out of the box...and have nowhere NEAR the silly, low-grade prototype qualities that Pioneer puts out.

The fact that this thread even EXISTS -- not to mention the ENTIRE SITE -- tells you something...how many other products require massive numbers of online support communities to resolve the seemingly endless issues and problems? It's like an online support group for alcoholics anonymous.

Then why are you still here? You don't even own an Avic.

And name another "cutting edge" unit that is as hackable and customizable as the F series.

Then you are clearly having more luck with it then me. People have done a great job fixing things like the blue boxes, etc. But for me those were way low on the priority list. I have crashes, and bluetooth problems, general sluggishness, etc.

I agree with this statement. Mine resets, drops the ipod, comes up with a windows error, and still has all the problems the others are having.

you want a copy of my files and everything? maybe itll solve your problem if you have the same stuff as mine

If it doesnt sell on ebay in the next 4 or 5 days, I plan on copying someone's files!

Maybe adding up the small fixes like getting rid of the blue boxes and fixing the clock color, and even changing the awful gong can make it more bearable.

I do hate to get rid of it because I will be losing a lot of money. Looks like 3 or 400 bucks in fact!

I saw your auction for it, and I saw you had a reserve price on it. You do know if it doesn't go past the reserve price you can cancel the auction? Chances are it will go past your reserve, so you have to choose before it goes over, whether to keep it and make the mods needed to make you happy, or just get rid of it

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-AVIC-F900BT ... dZViewItem

I think I'd do it again.

In a roundabout way, I am actually glad that they had some of the problems they had. Why? Because if the thing worked perfectly and had no flaws, we probably wouldn't have gotten that testmode file, and would have much less desire to get in and muck around with it.

And I can say, speaking for myself only of course, I'm way happier with my F700 now, than I would have been if it didn't have some of those problems from the start. Thanks to some of those problems, I now have the ability and knowledge to modify the heck out of it, make it look exactly like I want it to, with the functions and features that I want.

My old Garmin GPSV, or a Sony Nav-U, or even my former car stereo might not have had any (many) flaws, but they sure wouldn't let me go in and change fonts and colours, move stuff around, and delete stuff I didn't like.

The remaining quirks and bugs (startup time) are, IMHO, outweighed by the other advantages.

So yeah, I'd consider another F-series in the future. Especially if the next generation were linux-based! :wink:

I saw your auction for it, and I saw you had a reserve price on it. You do know if it doesn't go past the reserve price you can cancel the auction? Chances are it will go past your reserve, so you have to choose before it goes over, whether to keep it and make the mods needed to make you happy, or just get rid of it

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-AVIC-F900BT ... dZViewItem

I thought about that. If it doesnt sell, I wont relist it, just try and be very patient. If it does sell, I will be ok, I will lose some money, but I am going to get the Pioneer FH-P8000BT since it has 60% of the same function and has excellent reviews.

So... we will see.

Reserve is 775 which I know is high for the unit alone, but I am tossing in a a reverse cam and 16Gb SD card - so it may or may not sell.

With my damned luck Pioneer's second fix will come out right after I sell and will fix the boot up problem lol

I would definitely buy this again! I am having fun playing around with maps settings and such and making the unit function the way I want (as much as I can anyways).

I would NOT recommend it to someone else that is not willing to spend the time to mess around with it though because it does take time and patience