AVIC411.com

N4-Creating picture disk problem

I used a DVD-R

I made a PICTURES folder

I put 20pictures in the folder

I made a dummy folder with a bunch of other stuff in it (the manual says if using a dvd add 170mb of data to keep disc from erroring)

I uses SHORT file names

I used only .jpg pictures

I made sure they were no larger of a faile than stated on page 68 of the manual.

No matter what I try it tells me invalid disc. I can see the data on the disc using 2 different computers but the N4 won't read it, what am I doing wrong?? :evil: I've tried everything I can think of - how to get the darn thing to read the disc?

Well...in case anyone is interested here;s the scoop:

Create disk with: CD or DVD -R/-RW

Misc pics or files in the ROOT directory - meaning NOT in a folder that equals 170mb or more

Create a "Pictures" filed

Place UP TO 20 pictures in the folder (see page 68 of manual for size limits)

The misc files used to use up space cannot be in a folder and up to 20 pics need to be in a Picture folder. Files names also cannot exceed 8characters.

• 1 year later...

Old thread but relevant to my situation, I am having this problem as well.

I have an N4 head unit.

I put files onto a CD-RW. I put only 2 pictures into a folder titled "PICTURES" I also tried "Pictures"

The pictures are well within the size limits specified by the pioneer manual

There are over 200 MB of miscellaneous dummy data not in folders in the root directory.

I get the same "No /PICTURES/ folder found, create one and put jpg. images into it" message.

What am I doing wrong?

This is only a hunch, but I know the feeling when you're 'at a loss' so to speak, and don't know what else to try. I imediately thought it might be your media. It sounds funny depending on your experience with burning disks, but it's possible that the drive in your N4 might not like the brand of burnable media you're using. I suggest you buy disks that are made by a different company and try again. These things seem to be pretty finicky.

Also, fyi, I used imgburn to burn the disk that worked for me. I don't know what burning software you used but this might help. http://www.imgburn.com

good luck

I used both a CD-RW and a DVD-RW, DVD-RW was a Sony. I just dragged and dropped the files onto both disks, windows 7 did the burning. I'll try the software you suggested, maybe it will work.

Thanks for the response.

BTW Pioneer support is "closed for the holidays," I may be SOL till the 5th.

I think it might be the 'RW' part of things that is the problem. I can't say for sure, but in my experience rewritable media has been the least reliable to be read out of all of your choices. I still say, go to 7-11 or a corner store, spend $5 on a normal cdr or dvd - or + R and try that.

good luck

Update: ImgBurn made it work, thank you NerdBox for providing info and a link.

Now the only problem I have it getting it to fit on the screen. When I load images onto the head unit the bottom or top half of the image is off screen. Seems they are too big to fit. They are within the image specs provided by the manual though.

Does anyone know what the ideal image size is to make it fit perfectly on screen edge to edge?