AVIC411.com

What exactly can the SD Card be used for?

I have a 30GB ipod, and to make a long story short, its a pain carrying it to and from my car everytime...

I know the F-series has a very good ipod interface, with voice command.

However, If i buy an 8GB SD card, and load Music and videos on to that... is the interface as good as the ipods?

Can i use voice commands like "play artist Tiesto" with the Music on the SD card or is it just a general menu that can't be sorted at all, and i would have to manually go through 2000 files?

I dont know too much about SD cards, so im not sure if they can be set up like an ipod is with playlists and what not...

thanks!

I'm still very new to this, but I've got some 200+ songs on an SD card right now. I have them sorted on the card into directories, each directory is an album or 'playlist' containing the music files. I have a mix of mp3 and m4a music and it all works pretty flawlessly. When the AV Source is set to the SD card, I can go to 'list' screen and move through the folders to find the one I want to listen to.

I haven't tried any voice commands, so I can't comment on that, nor have I tried any videos yet. I've just used the SD card for music, and to change the splash screen.

The only negative I can comment right now, is the boot-up. With a CD I would get music within 10 or 15 seconds, before anything else worked there was music. Using the SD card as the source, takes more like 90 seconds. It seems like the SD card is the last thing to be initialized, even after the GPS software etc, so for frequent stops and starts it's very annoying.

Edited to add: You can't use a 'playlist' as such, but using folders you can put whatever music you want grouped, into a folder. The downside is if you want a song to be in 4 different playlists, you have that song copied 4 times onto the SD card, wasting space...

thanks stephanie for the tip

it was in pag 161 and almost the last page in the manual.

dam..... why didn't pioneer put this information in the page dedicated to SD/USB, this will not bring much aditional work to them.

anyway I began to realize how they work.

SD vs SDHC doesn't make a difference. Also, you can go above 8GB. People are using 16GB cards with them without any problems. I'm guessing (if you can find one for a reasonable price lol) a 32GB card will work as well.

I dont know if anyone else experiencing this, but when i put music on my sd cards couple of the songs cuts out the ending, around 20secs before where it suppose to end and skips to the next track. for example, a 4min song might end at 3'46 and skips to the next track. i have no idea how to fix it and all all the files are fine when playing on my pc and ipod.

• 9 months later...
I dont know if anyone else experiencing this, but when i put music on my sd cards couple of the songs cuts out the ending, around 20secs before where it suppose to end and skips to the next track. for example, a 4min song might end at 3'46 and skips to the next track. i have no idea how to fix it and all all the files are fine when playing on my pc and ipod.

Sorry for dragging up an old topic like this, but I have just started experiencing the same sort of problem. The last 15-20 seconds of some tracks get cut off, and it skips to the next track. Only seems to happen on SD cards, and not on all tracks. The ones that cut short always cut short, and the ones that play to the end always play to the end, so it isn't exactly random. If I play the SD card on my PC they all play to the end.

I hope it hasn't been covered before, but I couldn't find any reference to the problem except this one.

TIA

• 2 months later...